Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Catch can users in very cold climates.

Those of you that daily drive your car during the winter months and run a catch can, will you post pictures of what the catch looks like? Mine during hot weather looked like regular oil but blacker, to very cold temps and looking like tan foam. This tan foam never separates back out to oil and smells way different than what I was catching in the summer months. Now it has what I think is a stong smell of gasoline. Im not sure that this is normal.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Well the oil is only rated to a certain temperature.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
Agent WD-40

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
Those of you that daily drive your car during the winter months and run a catch can, will you post pictures of what the catch looks like? Mine during hot weather looked like regular oil but blacker, to very cold temps and looking like tan foam. This tan foam never separates back out to oil and smells way different than what I was catching in the summer months. Now it has what I think is a stong smell of gasoline. Im not sure that this is normal.
I'll have to check mine. I'm wondering if mine would even drain based on what yours is looking like.
Stainless Works 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers
Corsa Exhaust
Agent WD-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
IndeedSS1

What you see stuck to the bottom of the bottle is sort of what concerns me. I'm not getting the "liquid" as much now as the thick stuff.
Attached Images

She is only memory now.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
When you empty your catch can have you ever touched the inside of your Can with a paper towel or anything ? A friend of mine dumped his out monthly and would wipe it out to see how much he actually got each month.
after doing this for the first few times he saw what you are seeing. so he quit whiping it out and just dumped it and he hasnt seen it since.

Now yours is a little more thick and Yellow. I thought the oils of the towel mixed with the oil and changed the color.

keep in mind if Water gets in Oil it turns a creamy Yellow.

Pull your dip stick and check your oil if its Black or better yet if it looks normal on the dip stick then get a cotton tshirt and wipe out the inside of the catch can. Drive it a week then check again. There may be something in the catch can that is doing this to oil or maybe its moisture in the catch can. I wouldnt think if the oil looks good from the dip stick you have an issue.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
IndeedSS1

Dipstick looks fine. And you can't wipe out the RX can. I have a feeling I'm going to have to pull the can during warmer weather and pour some solvent in, to clean it out. Thanks, for the info. I've seen pictures from other types of cars but mine started to look less like those.

She is only memory now.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
Fishdadddy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS ; 1970 Firebird Formula
Looks like water. Maybe the can is condensing water from being cold while sitting and the warming up on the outside. Kinda like a cold drink in a glass, during summer.
Fishdadddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
IndeedSS1

That's waht I thought, but what I catch now just look like what's stuck on the bottom. And it never separates. It stays like a warm milkshae consistancy. That and the smell is what's worrying me. I thought maybe the car would run somewhat richer in the winter and may have something to do with it, but am doubting that theory.

She is only memory now.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
hamr56

Drives: 11 2SS/RS, 56 Chevy Bel Air 2DR HT
I don't have a catch can, but I am wondering if the warm oil going into the cold catch can would cause condensation leading to the milky oil that you are seeing?
hamr56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamr56 View Post
I don't have a catch can, but I am wondering if the warm oil going into the cold catch can would cause condensation leading to the milky oil that you are seeing?
Wouldn't it separate back out after sitting for several days? This is what I initially thought. Like I said it smells different that the normal warm weather catch. If it were only water I wouldn't think the smell would change...But I could ne wrong. If all of this is normal thats fine.

She is only memory now.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #11
wbdinger

Drives: NSMNJW=2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamr56 View Post
Very true.
Up here alot of people dont run thier cars long enough in the winter, with short trips to work/grocery's and due to lack of heat it evaporate properly and leaves that yellow milky residue behind.
Cure Drive More for longer periods lol
DYI Oil Catch Can, DYI dash ABL, DyI fender "V"emblems, ACC Plasma DRL, DYI Painted red SS on steering wheel, DYI CGM painted bowties on wheels, DYI Clearcoated Brake Calipers, Eibach pro 1" lowering springs, GM Heratige grill, GM skipshift eliminator, GMPP 92206992 Exhaust, 2-10" Kenwood subs w/350watt pioneer amp, RiderGraphics hood spears/gill outlines, 9x20 wheels-custom silver,weather tech mats, ARH 17/8 headers and cats. Tuned by Davenport Motorsports.
wbdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #12
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdinger View Post
Very true.
Up here alot of people dont run thier cars long enough in the winter, with short trips to work/grocery's and due to lack of heat it evaporate properly and leaves that yellow milky residue behind.
Cure Drive More for longer periods lol
I drive 300 miles a week, every week.

She is only memory now.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #13
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
The crankcase comtaminates include unburnt fuel, water, carbon particles, sulferic acid, etc. In the winter the car runs much richer on startup and therefore mure unburnt fuel enters past the rings and the PCV system will evac it along with the water vapor that mixes with synthetic oil and does not separate like conventional oil will (over time in a warm surrounding it should). So what your seeing is normal. The longer the car runs and the warmer the ambient air temp the less you will pull water vapor, but in below freezing temps there is a ton of water condensation into the crankcase and when up to operating temp this flashes off as steam that is then pulled out and through the can. Nothing is wrong w/the car as this is never seen w/out a catchcan.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #14
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
The crankcase comtaminates include unburnt fuel, water, carbon particles, sulferic acid, etc. In the winter the car runs much richer on startup and therefore mure unburnt fuel enters past the rings and the PCV system will evac it along with the water vapor that mixes with synthetic oil and does not separate like conventional oil will (over time in a warm surrounding it should). So what your seeing is normal. The longer the car runs and the warmer the ambient air temp the less you will pull water vapor, but in below freezing temps there is a ton of water condensation into the crankcase and when up to operating temp this flashes off as steam that is then pulled out and through the can. Nothing is wrong w/the car as this is never seen w/out a catchcan.
Then everyone should have one.

Sure wished I had thought to take a picture of my last 2k miles that I poured in the recycle jug yesterday.

She is only memory now.