Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #71
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I'm sure if there is an upcoming Z/28, we will see some spy shots of it being tested.
Maybe we already have.....LOWDOWN'S avatar.
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #72
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps69Z View Post
Maybe we already have.....LOWDOWN'S avatar.
Maybe there aren't any cooling ducts for the front brakes from the looks of it.

How long ago was that taken? Is that the one with the cut up hood scoop?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #73
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
..true, but as long as I have been following this stuff....only since late '10, my take is usually ahead of time there is enough info that lends some credence that "somethings up", all unofficial of course as you say, where one can make an informed interpretation of what is going to be ahead of time. Pics, posts, spy shots, articles, concepts, in combination with vaguely worded corporate statements etc....
This missive from Akerson may 'splain the lack of cohesive info:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...-act-integrity

There have been issues with leaks leading to "outsourcing"...and, as we all now know, GM does have folks scanning the 'net for just such chatter...

Quote:
How long ago was that taken? Is that the one with the cut up hood scoop?
Last summer, during 'Ring testing...forward-facing hood scoop equipped.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #74
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
This missive from Akerson may 'splain the lack of cohesive info:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...-act-integrity

There have been issues with leaks leading to "outsourcing"...and, as we all now know, GM does have folks scanning the 'net for just such chatter...

Last summer, during 'Ring testing...forward-facing hood scoop equipped.
Hmm, at that time the ZL1 should have been pretty much finished right?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #75
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Found the picture...in my Z files.
Attached Images

Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #76
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

C'est sa, monsieur!

Call it what you will, but it WAS being "tested"...and apparently NOT for heat soak...

Something I just noticed 'bout that picture: GM mule, but BLACK bowtie...
Old 08-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #77
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
That's the ZL1 that was being tested in your avatar. In addition to the black bowtie, it had a pacecar logo on it... completely unrelated. As was said earlier in the thread, those that know won't be talking. Those that know, SHOULDN'T be talking. While our appetite for "insider news" is voracious, it hurts GM when people leak information. In our CEO's town hall meeting a week ago, Mr Akerson went on a long rant about people leaking vehicle development information out to the press and how much it hurts the company. I'll admit, I do enjoy the spy photos and news just as much as anyone else, but it does come at a price.... GM loses the competitive edge.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #78
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

I'm aware of the car being tested with the ZL1s @ the 'Ring. The picture was posted here last summer. But no one could explain the open forward-facing hood scoop which would have no direct impact on the LSA as packaged, as far as cooling air for intake purposes (Ram Air, for lack of a better term, not really beneficial with forced induction) OR air-cooled aftercharge assist...which led to speculation that perhaps a naturally aspirated engine was, in fact, being utilized by this example...and, if so, what might such a "study" predate?

All conjecture...but us ZEE-lievers are NOTHING if not hopeful.

So...what WAS the purpose of the open, forward-facing hood scoop? Or, as an LSA-engined ZL1 mule, did it presage the heat soak issue?
Old 08-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #79
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneCynic View Post
Hey, it's enough to make me stall my plans for a 1LE purchase by a few months to see what develops. It will give me a few months breathing space after paying off my LS, to go without a car payment for a while, save money, and see what may happen. No sense paying off one Camaro, only to go directly into a note on a second one just yet. I can stall a bit, as a second Camaro is a want, and not a need at this point in time.

I would much rather wait a bit and see what is going to happen. Can you imagine this scenario? "Ford announces new Mustang redesign for 2014" followed by "A Chevrolet icon returns in 2014, the long awaited Z28." Well, I'd almost not even care about the "New Mustang" news at that point, would you?

Ford already blew its current generation load, to put it bluntly, with the 2013 Boss 302 and 2013 Shelby GT500 model series finales. Starting a new line of Mustangs, they will want to hold back a bit to trickle out the best upgrades and models until a year or two down the line. But the 5th gen will be in its final year or two, and Chevy is bound to pull out all the stops with it to combat the introduction of the new Mustang.

Here's hoping the 5th gen will go out with a bang, with announcements of models that will steal the show. AKA the Z28 (and maybe some last model year tweaks to ZL1 too.)
Im sure it would excite the GM faithful and Camaro fans,

but IMO The introduction of a completly new mustang, on a new chassis with IRS finally and the car being updated to the 21st century ditching the retro theme will over shadow a new camaro variant in the eyes of the general automotive community. Also not to mention it will be on/around Mustangs 50th birthday too.

Just like when the 6th gen camaro comes out, it will over shadow any special mustang that may appear at the same time (except in the eyes of the Ford faithful/mustang fans)
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #80
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
I'm aware of the car being tested with the ZL1s @ the 'Ring. The picture was posted here last summer. But no one could explain the open forward-facing hood scoop which would have no direct impact on the LSA as packaged, as far as cooling air for intake purposes (Ram Air, for lack of a better term, not really beneficial with forced induction) OR air-cooled aftercharge assist...which led to speculation that perhaps a naturally aspirated engine was, in fact, being utilized by this example...and, if so, what might such a "study" predate?

All conjecture...but us ZEE-lievers are NOTHING if not hopeful.

So...what WAS the purpose of the open, forward-facing hood scoop? Or, as an LSA-engined ZL1 mule, did it presage the heat soak issue?
My 100% guess would be that they were just testing something out. It looks like the opening was cut using a dremel, not very precisely cut, so I would venture to say it's being read into more than it should.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #81
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
I'm sure if there is an upcoming Z/28, we will see some spy shots of it being tested.
...I'll make sure I read your posts to get critical review and insight.....
Old 08-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #82
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...I'll make sure I read your posts to get critical review and insight.....
Old 08-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #83
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Ford already blew its current generation load, to put it bluntly, with the 2013 Boss 302 and 2013 Shelby GT500 model series finales. Starting a new line of Mustangs, they will want to hold back a bit to trickle out the best upgrades and models until a year or two down the line. But the 5th gen will be in its final year or two, and Chevy is bound to pull out all the stops with it to combat the introduction of the new Mustang.
Not yet. Ford is known for making a special edition mustang the last year of production for a generation. With the 50th anniversary of the mustang happening during that time I am thinking Ford is not done blowing its current generation load.

Quote:
I doubt they will release info on a Z/28 before announcing it.
Probably not, but engines are expensive and time consuming to produce. If a Z28 is released and it happens to get a new engine, then I see it either getting the LS7 or perhaps the new Gen V V8. It's possible it will also get a brand new engine that is unknown at this point, but highly unlikely with the resources they have put into the Gen V V8.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #84
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
Probably not, but engines are expensive and time consuming to produce. If a Z28 is released and it happens to get a new engine, then I see it either getting the LS7 or perhaps the new Gen V V8. It's possible it will also get a brand new engine that is unknown at this point, but highly unlikely with the resources they have put into the Gen V V8.
I believe that if there is a 5th Gen Z/28, it would have the LS7. If there is no 5th Gen, and it comes back in the 6th, it would have one of the new Gen V engines.