Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
l008com

Drives: 2013 1LT Crystal Red/Beige Manual
MPG Whats The Deal?

I read, i think on chevy.com, that the V6 is going to get 27MPG, with the automatic. Thats pretty damn good. Thats about the best HP to MPG ratio I've seen. Is the stick going to get less? How much less? My RX-8 gets shitty milage, I was thinking about getting a loaded Mazda 6 with the small motor. This camaro costs the same, gets 2 MPG less and has 300 HP instead of 170. Tough choice eh? :-D

I do wonder how this car will handle compared to my RX-8. The weight is about the same, but the RX-8 is probably a little better balanced. I'll miss my back doors but not as much as i'd miss rear wheel drive if I got some other car! Hell i'd probably still buy this thing even if it came with the turbo charged 4cyl out of a Solstice :-) But hey I drive a 1.3L vehicle so wahcagoonado
l008com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
andyrew

Drives: Audi A4 STG3, Porsche 914 v8
Well you cant compare an inefficient rotory motor to your standard 4 cycle engine...

Rotory's are known to have terrible MPG...

2MPG is not something I even fret about, I drive maybe 10k a year, so if I have to spend an extra couple hundred bucks to have a really nice car with a good amount of HP then Im happy...

My Audi a4 1.8 Turbo (with AWD) gets 30mpg, and thats nice and all but I use the 300+hp every day (its modified) and thats what puts the smile on my face, not my gas bill.
andyrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
Silverghost

Drives: Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by l008com View Post
I Is the stick going to get less? How much less?
Sticks typically get better gas mileage then automatics

www.rivercityperformance.com
Silverghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
l008com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverghost View Post
Sticks typically get better gas mileage then automatics
These days that seems to be the opposite. I guess its all the advanced technology in the automatics these days, plus 6 speed automatics are getting more and more common. But most automatics in sports cars tend to get 1 or 2 MPG better than the stick. I'm still getting the stick of course, otherwise I might as well go buy some toyota
Old 11-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #5
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Quote:
I read, i think on chevy.com, that the V6 is going to get 27MPG, with the automatic. Thats pretty damn good. Thats about the best HP to MPG ratio I've seen. Is the stick going to get less? How much less? My RX-8 gets shitty milage, I was thinking about getting a loaded Mazda 6 with the small motor. This camaro costs the same, gets 2 MPG less and has 300 HP instead of 170. Tough choice eh? :-D

I do wonder how this car will handle compared to my RX-8. The weight is about the same, but the RX-8 is probably a little better balanced. I'll miss my back doors but not as much as i'd miss rear wheel drive if I got some other car! Hell i'd probably still buy this thing even if it came with the turbo charged 4cyl out of a Solstice :-) But hey I drive a 1.3L vehicle so wahcagoonado
The V6 is actually suspected to get an EPA rating of 26 MPG, but you may actually end up closer to GM's estimate.

To be honest, your RX-8 will probably have better handling. One of the last MT magazines had an article in it with a race driver saying the RX-8 was the best handling car he had driven... ever. Thats compared with ferraris and such.

And to the MPG. It is likely the stick will get better MPG, but as of late, most automatics are just about on par with the manuals. Figure the auto will get 25 EPA for highway. Hope it helps bro.

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #6
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
The RX-8 has a great engine, 238 horsepower from a 1.3 is amazing, but yes, fuel consumption isn't great.
I think the Camaro is easily better than the Mazda 6, and even if the manual doesn't get 27mpg, it'll be close, like 26.

But seriously, get the Camaro. 300 horsepower and 26-27mpg is awesome.
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #7
l008com

I'm more psyched about a cheap rear wheel drive stick with good mileage. The HP is a bonus.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
GM is intentionally aiming low for fuel estimates. It would not be good publicity for any new car to have lower than the manufacturer's estimates as that would violate a potential customer's ability to trust the company. Remember that numbers have dropped over the last couple of years due to a new formula. If the driver isn't mashing the pedal on the V6 manual or automatic, it is not unreasonable for the Camaro to make around 30 mpg.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
I'm more psyched about a cheap rear wheel drive stick with good mileage. The HP is a bonus.
And decently sized, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
GM is intentionally aiming low for fuel estimates. It would not be good publicity for any new car to have lower than the manufacturer's estimates as that would violate a potential customer's ability to trust the company.
Most consumers don't expect to achieve or beat the EPA ratings, though eventually they will get used to the newer system that produces "more realistic" ratings and then they will expect it. However, the manufacturer has no control over how the test is done; all they can do is either design it to do well in the test, or ignore the test and design it only to do well IRL.

That said, there is a major reason why they would design it to do well on tests: CAFE. That makes it very important for the car to test well.

Quote:
If the driver isn't mashing the pedal on the V6 manual or automatic, it is not unreasonable for the Camaro to make around 30 mpg.
IRL, the manual will be easy to get above 30 mpg in varied conditions. The automatic, assuming it's got a nice tall highway gear, will still not do as well IRL for city driving but may do better on the highway.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #10
MB2010CC
Back in Black

Drives: 2010 Black 2LT/RS Camaro
Quote:

NO....
Old 11-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #11
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
If you go from the RX8 to the V6 Camaro, the V6 Camaro definitely isn't going to feel as nimble as your RX8. For my next car I was considering a RX8, 2LT Camaro w RS, & a 07-08 350Z.

The RX8 has nearly perfect 50/50 weight distribution, and it's a very well balanced vehicle. Unfortunately Mazda really screwed themselves when they came out with the Renesis rotary and dropped the twin turbo concept that they had with the 13B. So yeah, unfortunately with a N/A rotary you experience, crappy gas mileage and crappy low end torque...

The V6 Camaro on the other hand, may feel more powerful. But it's a heavier and a bigger car vs the RX8. But hey 300hp & 276ft lbs of torque with RWD, in a SEXY looking 5th gen Camaro isn't bad. It's just not going to perform as well on the twisties as the RX8 will. But in a straight line the V6 Camaro will be slightly quicker, and you'll get better MPG's...

The 350Z, offers great road handling, decent MPG's, and performance that will rival a current gen Mustang GT. But it's only a two seater vs the 2+2 setup of the RX8 and Camaro. But I just threw in the 350Z because it's sorta competition to the RX8 and Camaro. (Plus I'm hoping I'll be owning one after winter... )

But between the RX8 and V6 Camaro, the V6 Camaro wont' disappoint however just as a warning it's going to feel bigger and heavier vs the RX8...
Old 11-11-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
l008com

According to the specs i found, the camaro will be 3700lbs and the rx8 is about 3800lbs. fyi
Old 11-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #13
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
According to the specs i found, the camaro will be 3700lbs and the rx8 is about 3800lbs. fyi
Holy crap the RX8 is 3800lbs? Did not know that, I thought it was like 3400-3600lbs.... Hmm that interesting.

Well then the V6 Camaro probably won't feel heavier then...

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the V6 Camaro though if you're looking for a well rounded fun driving car...

Last edited by SS4EVER; 11-11-2008 at 02:58 PM.
SS4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #14
joepitt

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro, 2017 Acura
I think for lots of folks, including me, it boils down to IT'S A CAMARO and is inspired by the 1969 model. It isn't always a rational decision.
Dinah Shore, 1952: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGZvQoPxhNs
joepitt is offline   Reply With Quote