Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
V6 Questions I'd Like Answered

In my efforts to justify the idea of getting a V6, I have had no trouble finding reasons to fall in love with the LLT. I do, however, have questions that would make a lot of V6 owners happy to know about their Camaros.

Can we put those V8 Brembos on the V6? I want big brakes.

How hard can we push the transmission? If I manage to build a 450-hp V6, I want to know that my 6-speed auto or manual will survive.

Does the V8 transmission fit? The easiest way to reconcile V6 transmission problems is to install a comparable transmission. I want to know what it will take to bolt on a new transmission.

How hard can we push the 3.6L DI VVT V6? The internals are strong, but how strong are they? Can I inject a 250-shot of nitrous oxide or slap on a supercharger with low or high pressure? What pressure are we talking? There are lots of questions, but I'm basically seeking a breakdown of what parts need upgrades at what amount of horsepower.

Who is already confirmed as making aftermarket parts? This isn't even my question, but the concern is that the V6 aftermarket isn't big yet, so I'm hoping that an answer to this will alleviate some fears.

How is it attached? In other words, if I wanted to attach another engine in the engine bay, what will bolt up? For those who want to keep their cars after a few years of driving, can we swap a V8 into it? How different is the V6 engine bay from the V8 engine bay? For this question to be answered, photos of every engine and transmission mount on the V6 and V8 may be necessary.

Can the V6 suspension be replaced with the V8 suspension? For those who want to make any future SS clones, this is a vital question. Also, those who have concerns about running with the Cobalt SS may want to know that they can upgrade to the supreme suspension that made great time on the Nurburgring.

How hard is the dash to upgrade? If I want to put in a different speedometer, I want to know that I can. I'm not saying that I would do it because that is about the most worthless mod out there, but some people like the appearance of aftermarket gauges in the dash.

Can I plug in my iPod? The C&C package is nice, but I want to see about aftermarket compatibility with a unit that can be wired to the glove box instead of the main cabin of the car. I just like the idea of not having my iPod on display when I leave the car. This question applies to both V6 and V8 owners' cars.

Can I see the back of the head unit? This applies to V8s, too. We need some definitive answers about pre-outs, wiring, and how we're going to install audio upgrades. It would be nice to know what kind of a wiring mess we're going to have before we send our cars to Prosound, Car Toyz, or Best Buy for modification. Will we be waiting an hour or a day? How much is wired through that radio? Will I have to wait six months for Scosche to make a wiring harness that costs $120?

How hard is the computer going to be to tune? Will I have to wait for HPTuners to make a tune in the next three years, instead relying on piggy-back programs, like 2.2L Cobalt owners did from 2005 until 2008 or will the ECM and PCM be the same ones used in other cars? Part numbers and evidence will be necessary to answer this question. This is a great opportunity for any trolling parts dealers and tuning companies to announce their upcoming products.

Is GM working on performance upgrades that compete with Ford? Let's not forget that Ford has supercharger kits for the Mustang GT that would allow it to easily beat the Camaro SS at the track. I'd like to know that the Camaro LS is going to have more support than the Mustang GT from the manufacturer. It's a show of customer support, and it does make a difference. Let's also not forget that GM just released a new LNF tune that makes the turbo-4 even more impressive than it already was. I'd like to see some aggressive LLT tuning to show off GM's high-technology V6 as both a testament to efficiency and a testament to V6 power.

I'm sure there are more questions, but these are the hard ones that are going to make V6s more justifiable for those who haven't committed to one yet. The right answers to these questions will lead to a stronger V6 community with enthusiasm to boot. These are not specifically concerns of mine, but they are concerns that I've seen by enthusiasts, and it doesn't hurt to have some answers. I'm know around here for supporting GM, so I have lots of confidence that GM experts will have some very good answers for these questions. Those who happen to know the answers are more than welcome to answer, but answer with facts, pictures, and numbers rather than speculation about flying Z28s running on Mr. Fusion.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
well thats alot of questions some which make sense some which might as well get the v8.
I mean if your gonna change the brakes , transmission and suspension then what the hell is the point in the V6
Old 03-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
well thats alot of questions some which make sense some which might as well get the v8.
I mean if your gonna change the brakes , transmission and suspension then what the hell is the point in the V6
It's the now-later dichotomy. If I get the V6 now and love it, then I can take my time to make it better. If I save up forever, I can buy a car company and drive what I want. Ultimately, I'd like to have a ridiculously fast Chevy. It doesn't matter to me whether it rocks a V8 or a V6 as long as it beats other cars that I'll commonly see on the street or at the track. If it is a V6, it will need some serious modification over time, but, until I get that completed, I can still drive around in the car that has the most horsepower of any car I've driven. I'll love it whether I have it with 400 horsepower in 2010 or in 2014. Until it gets there, it'll still be my Chevy.

Besides, my Subaru is dying, and it might not last long enough for me to get a 400-hp $30k V8, so I'm considering making a V6 that will showcase the flexibility of the LLT. On the other hand, a fifth generation Corvette has not been scratched off the list of considerations. :seesaw:
Old 03-08-2009, 09:56 PM   #4
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
I see I see thats an interesting area , makes sense especially if you are willing to keep it no matter how long
Old 03-08-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
diV6

Drives: 94 camaro z28
an ipod can be hooked up, either through a usb port or aux port. The USB port comes with a 2lt or 2ss, or a 1lt with the cc package. Both ports are in the center storage and so will not be visible. If connected with the usb port, you can control the ipod form the head unit, or from the steering wheel so the ipod can be stashed away. The headunit is not really changeable, as it handles a lot of functions and is not a standard size. . There are training videos about the stereo head unit elsewhere on the board. If you connect with the aux port, you will have to have the ipod unit visible while using it.

If you are planning on altering the suspension, transmission, and engine, just go v8. The suspension should be interchangeable though. The brembo brakes shouldn't have wheel clearance issues if you get the rs package.

The v6 transmissions are weaker than the v8 transmissions, so cont plan on taking them up to 400 hp.
diV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #6
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
I'm sure the Pedders suspensions will fit the V6. I read on their forum that someone is planning on making a drag car with Pedders kits.
http://forums.peddersusa.com/showthread.php?t=568

So far it's the only upgrade that I've seen for th V6.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14723
Old 03-08-2009, 10:29 PM   #7
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by diV6 View Post
an ipod can be hooked up, either through a usb port or aux port. The USB port comes with a 2lt or 2ss, or a 1lt with the cc package. Both ports are in the center storage and so will not be visible. If connected with the usb port, you can control the ipod form the head unit, or from the steering wheel so the ipod can be stashed away. The headunit is not really changeable, as it handles a lot of functions and is not a standard size. . There are training videos about the stereo head unit elsewhere on the board. If you connect with the aux port, you will have to have the ipod unit visible while using it.

If you are planning on altering the suspension, transmission, and engine, just go v8. The suspension should be interchangeable though. The brembo brakes shouldn't have wheel clearance issues if you get the rs package.

The v6 transmissions are weaker than the v8 transmissions, so cont plan on taking them up to 400 hp.
Once again, there are lots of reasons to get the V6 instead of a V8, and heavy modification is a very good one. For instance, a car that is strictly for track use could be bought more cheaply as the LS rather than the SS, especially if the engine, suspension, transmission, and interior are going to be revised. Imagine spending an extra $8k on a car that is strictly for the track. It's wasteful.

Let's not forget about those who have to pay insurance and can't afford the V8 now. Young drivers can save up for an engine swap or serious modification upon the collapse of the warranty. The day that warranty goes away is a great day for someone who has been saving to put in a big engine. Before putting in that engine, intelligent tuners will support their engine swap with modifications, including better brakes so the car can stop, a better suspension to handle added weight of two more cylinders as well as the faster ride, and other modifications that make the car more custom-tuned toward the goals of its owner. Doing this over time keeps insurance cheaper than buying a V8 outright, and making it as a custom car allows for a fun project. Buying it that way takes away all of the fun garage time.

I expect to see no more posts suggesting that V6 buyers should get the V8 instead.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:22 AM   #8
diV6

Drives: 94 camaro z28
ok. lets put it this way. Your argument is saving money. If your buying a v6, your still buying a transmission, engine, and suspension your going to remove and replace. If you buy a v8, instead of removing the entire engine, replacing the whole transmission, and the entire suspension, you can simply replace the parts that need upgrading.

Instead of replacing the 6l50 transmission, you just get a mechanic to rebuild your 6l80 to your specs. Instead of buying a whole new engine, you just do a head and cam swap or add a turbo charger supercharger.

If your goal is to go fast for the lowest amount of money, buying a v6 is penny wise, dollar stupid in the long run. yes, you might save money on insurance as the insurance company sees a v6, but the insurance wont cover all the modifications you have done to your car either.

The 8k difference between the ls and a 1ss will be more used up in the additional cost of mods. Your plan might save you 8k up front, but it will cost you far more farther down the line to go slower than you could of if you got the v8 and modded it.

Additionaly, while there are turbo kits for the v6, the aftermarket is far larger for the lsx engines. The l99, due to its afm, has a more limited aftermarket.

If your goal is to build an extreme car, just for the track, with your own original engine, suspension, and transmission, look into the body in white program we heard about earlier.

The path you are considering is just not cost effective any way you look at it. The only advantage it has is that it lets you buy the camaro before you save up the 8k difference between the ls and the 1ss, and in the long run it will cost you more money.

The v6 is a great car. I am going to get one, but i wouldn't plan to use it as a foundation for a track car.

Look, im not trying to irritate you, but your plans here are just not the most cost effective way to go extremely fast.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, it sounds like you eventually want to go extreme. If you want to go seriously extreme, see about a body in white. If you just want to somewhat extreme, like 500-650hp (I know there were off the record statements by gm that they had camaro prototypes with up to 650hp, so the ss suspension should be able handle that high) then go with the v8 as your starting point.

If you want to get to to 400, just buy the v8 from the start, its still the most effective way, and you'll have that speed before the warranty is up. Is the warranty 5 years? Thats a long time to be driving a 300hp car when what you want is 400hp.

This is my last post on this issue. I am not looking to irritate you. But TO ME, as i understand your intentions, it just doesn't make sense. If I were you, I would figure out my eventual performance goals, figure out what you would have to do to a v8 and a v6 model to get there, price out the mods and the cars, and figure which is cheapest. Maybe I am wrong. Maybe I dont understand your plan. But seriously, when modding, don't do it ad hoc piece meal, do it with a plan.
diV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:29 AM   #9
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
I'm sure the Pedders suspensions will fit the V6. I read on their forum that someone is planning on making a drag car with Pedders kits.
http://forums.peddersusa.com/showthread.php?t=568

So far it's the only upgrade that I've seen for th V6.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14723
The pedder's kits will fit the V6. I've already asked this and it was confirmed.

As for the now later thing, that is a really big factor in my buying decision as well. I also plan on keeping the car for a very, very long time.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I can answer a few, as I've looked into these issues myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Can we put those V8 Brembos on the V6?
Sure! Technically, you can put any aftermarket brakes on any car so long as they fit inside the tire. If I go V6 -- this is midway up the list of modifications I'm going to do later on. Check these folks out:
http://www.baer.com/products/complete/pro-plus.php

Scroll down to the bottom portion of the page. Hit "Pontiac", and then "G8"...oooohhhhh yeaahhhh. Pricey -- but they should shoot you through the windshield.

How hard can we push the transmission?
It's an Aisin unit. They aren't especially robust. According to GM, it's good to 273lb/ft in the Direct Injected CTS. But GM also says the Tremec unit's only good to 470, and we know some Vette people are putting out 500+...

Does the V8 transmission fit?
In the SS, it's called the TR6060. It fits in the SS, which is still a Camaro, so it should fit here. The real question you should be asking is will it bolt up to the V6 engine block? That, I don't know -- someone would need to investigate the bolt patterns for the engine and the transmission....

How hard can we push the 3.6L DI VVT V6?
I do believe this is a undiscovered frontier. It's a relatively new engine...would be interesting if someone could get in contact with GM powertrain....

Can the V6 suspension be replaced with the V8 suspension?
Sure. They're really the same thing: it's Zeta. It's far more complicate, but the SS is simply a little more stiff and "tuned in". If you're looking to improve the suspension at a later date -- just leapfrog over the SS and call up Pedders. Their systems will work on the V6 just as well as the SS.

Can I plug in my iPod? (visibility)
This was already answered above -- but I'll reiterate, the USB connector is in the center console. shove your ipod down in there, and you're good. Nobody ever needs to know it's there.
I'm not sure if any of that will help...but .
Old 03-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #11
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by diV6 View Post
ok. lets put it this way. Your argument is saving money. If your buying a v6, your still buying a transmission, engine, and suspension your going to remove and replace. If you buy a v8, instead of removing the entire engine, replacing the whole transmission, and the entire suspension, you can simply replace the parts that need upgrading.

Instead of replacing the 6l50 transmission, you just get a mechanic to rebuild your 6l80 to your specs. Instead of buying a whole new engine, you just do a head and cam swap or add a turbo charger supercharger.

If your goal is to go fast for the lowest amount of money, buying a v6 is penny wise, dollar stupid in the long run. yes, you might save money on insurance as the insurance company sees a v6, but the insurance wont cover all the modifications you have done to your car either.

The 8k difference between the ls and a 1ss will be more used up in the additional cost of mods. Your plan might save you 8k up front, but it will cost you far more farther down the line to go slower than you could of if you got the v8 and modded it.

Additionaly, while there are turbo kits for the v6, the aftermarket is far larger for the lsx engines. The l99, due to its afm, has a more limited aftermarket.

If your goal is to build an extreme car, just for the track, with your own original engine, suspension, and transmission, look into the body in white program we heard about earlier.

The path you are considering is just not cost effective any way you look at it. The only advantage it has is that it lets you buy the camaro before you save up the 8k difference between the ls and the 1ss, and in the long run it will cost you more money.

The v6 is a great car. I am going to get one, but i wouldn't plan to use it as a foundation for a track car.

Look, im not trying to irritate you, but your plans here are just not the most cost effective way to go extremely fast.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, it sounds like you eventually want to go extreme. If you want to go seriously extreme, see about a body in white. If you just want to somewhat extreme, like 500-650hp (I know there were off the record statements by gm that they had camaro prototypes with up to 650hp, so the ss suspension should be able handle that high) then go with the v8 as your starting point.

If you want to get to to 400, just buy the v8 from the start, its still the most effective way, and you'll have that speed before the warranty is up. Is the warranty 5 years? Thats a long time to be driving a 300hp car when what you want is 400hp.

This is my last post on this issue. I am not looking to irritate you. But TO ME, as i understand your intentions, it just doesn't make sense. If I were you, I would figure out my eventual performance goals, figure out what you would have to do to a v8 and a v6 model to get there, price out the mods and the cars, and figure which is cheapest. Maybe I am wrong. Maybe I dont understand your plan. But seriously, when modding, don't do it ad hoc piece meal, do it with a plan.
There's one variable that you aren't considering: time. Over time, the car will change and slowly die. As parts are dying and need replacement, the owner has the option of installing the parts that GM offers, that the local shop has, or that some performance shop has. I'm saying that people who want to keep a Camaro from the time they're 22 to the time they're 52 are going to have a lot of parts breaking and a lot of part replacements for their future track beast. Making a track beast is very expensive, and it will be time-consuming. Let's pretend that money will be available over this 30-year period of time, and that it can be spent on the car. Just roll with it, and we'll see what we can do.

Many of the parts I propose changing would be installed on a V6 or a V8. I'm asking about the V6 because we already have a few V8 answers. Even the V8s are going to be recklessly expensive to upgrade, but the issue isn't money. The issue is fun. If I can have a fun car now, and the car I really want—fast, custom, attractive—over time, then why shouldn't I? All of this time, I will be working, and much of that money will go toward my basic needs and life goals. Why can't some of the excess be for my car?

The goal of this thread is not to discuss how to spend money. This thread is not saying that getting a V6 to 450 hp and getting a V8 to the same number is going to cost remotely the same or even that the V6 is better. The goal of this thread is to discuss what aftermarket options V6 owners have.

All of these questions will be asked by someone on the site. Some of them have already been asked without answer. I want to get answers so that the guys that want to do one or more of the things that I'm considering have a choice. If one guy wants to install an iPod in the glove box and another wants to swap motors in 4 years, why can't I ask for both of them? Stop assuming that these mods will all be done to the same car. It is very possible that no V6 owners will go through this expense or shop time to make their cars compete with GT500s, but it would be great to know that aftermarket performance, cosmetic, and customization options are available. If those parts are available or becoming available soon, it needs to be known that V6 owners want them.

I remember these arguments happening on the Cobalt forums. They still happen. The LS guys are pretty mad at the SS guys for always getting into their threads just to say that their car is inferior and that they should just trade it for a Cobalt SS. That's not always an option, and the guys who can afford Lingenfelter LS7-powered Camaro SSs will never in their lives understand the struggle of going paycheck to paycheck, dealing with expensive medical bills that empty bank accounts, or having to make money on the side. Those of you who profess to have survived this no longer experience it. Those of you who are in the situation know that they deserve, perhaps more than anyone else, to have an enjoyable ride to the jobs they hate but endure for their families. It is the sacrifices of those who struggle that should be rewarded in the simplest way, and sometimes all that takes is knowing that their 2010 Camaro that they bought used for a steal in 2013 can still beat a Mustang when it meets at a stoplight.

Remember, this thread isn't about the money. It's just about having fun in a V6. If one guy can have that fun with their iPod, and another guy wants it with an ECM tune, and another guy wants a full twin turbo setup, then let them have what they want! Don't tell them that their car is inferior. If the third guy really wanted the SS, I'm sure the goal would be to trade rather than buy an expensive forced induction kit. It is not our place to judge their reasons. Maybe they just want to take GM's high-feature V6 to the limit. Is that so horrible?

Let's try again. If I want to run with GT500s in a V6, what is going to need to be upgraded to make that happen? The LLT is a very advanced engine made with some of the best parts available. What parts are going to break? What parts are going to endure unnecessary stress? Is the ECM shared with other cars that have already been tuned? What sort of numbers have the internals been able to hit? How many of those V8 parts are going to also work on the V6? What has to be done to make them work? Let's get some answers.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:15 PM   #12
The_Blur

This is a serious topic that needs to be visited by anyone who is a supporter of the LLT motor. I'm hoping that some GM experts in the know will visit to begin answering some of these questions, even if they are impractical, recklessly expensive, or misguided. Your input is appreciated.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:48 PM   #13
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
I also hope GM powertrain would come in here and dazzle us all by expounding on their excellent engineering.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:02 AM   #14
Mythic

Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
I applaud the 3.6L LLT. I think its a great engine.

However, from what I can tell I would be very wary of power adders pre-modification.
From what I have seen its in it's most powerful production version in the Camaro and Cadillac CTS. Other versions of the engine are detuned from there.
http://www.gmpowertrain.ca/Product/3...LT%20Specs.pdf
the Camaro and Cadillac its already 11.4:1 other applications have it at 11.3:1 or less
Its parts are good but I'd not put money on them taking FI or Squeeze
  • Block: sand cast aluminum (319) with cast in iron bore liners
  • Cylinder head: cast aluminum (319 semi permanent mold)
  • Intake manifold: aluminum (319 Upper, and Lower)
  • Exhaust manifold: high-silicon moly cast iron
  • Main bearing caps: sintered steel (CU infiltrated)
  • Crankshaft: forged steel (1038 V)
  • Camshaft: cast nodular iron
  • Connecting rods: sinter forged steel

Bread and Butter of the aftermarketers has been taking the entry/mid level cars and pumping them up to run with the heavy hitters. I doubt at present there is much in the marketplace for LLT mods. The other vehicles its been slated for aren't prone to tuner interest.
Once the LS/1LT/2LT starts ramping up you should see market response.

Eventually someone WILL have an exahust kit, a throttle body replacement, headers, stall converter for the auto, carbon fiber hood, fenders, trunk etc, suspension upgrade, and just about any and every other tweakable part

The AY6 is already out in the market on a number of other vehicles so you will probably have alot to choose from. Wiki says its rated for up to 345lb-ft, but Im betting that probably after swapping out some internals.

However, the real answer to how much you can get out a V6 Camaro is actually very simple. with enough time and money almost anything is possible.
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote