Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 05-11-2011, 04:46 AM   #1
speedbrds
It wasn't me!

Drives: '11 SW Camaro LS
Yakima Roof Rack

For several months, I've been searching for a bike rack. I hated the look of the trunk mounted racks and I really wanted a roof mounted rack.

I finally came across Yakima. They make uiversal/custom racks for all purposes and vehicle types. They had a "will it fit" guide and it indicated one for the Camaro. It is called "Highroller." It consists of the mounts, crossbars, and so forth. The price is $500, which is slightly on the pricey side. However, worth it comeparied to the trunk mounted racks which, in my opinion, look flimsy.

I would like to get it, but I'm a bit hesitant. I was hoping someone here already has one or to get opinions on the system.

For those not sure what I'm talking about, here is a link: http://www.yakima.com/learn/roof-rac...d-roof/towers/
speedbrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
detroitjohnny

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 and many more
I just picked up my 2SS today and am interested in the same question. Someone has to have used these?

Would prefer this to a hitch, but I ride 3000 miles of trails a year, all over the Midwest. So I need to be able to haul my mtb.
detroitjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
Smitty77

Drives: 2011 Cyber Grey 2LT/RS Camaro
I was looking all over for a roof rack for my bikes as well, and noticed the $500 Yakima as well. Once I priced out the hitch/Hollywood hitch rack, it ended up being a couple hundred dollars cheaper to get a hitch and hitch rack. Got the hitch installed for $150 and the Hollywood HR1000 rack new in box off Ebay for $170 shipped. You can hardly see the hitch and I don't have to drive around with an ugly roof rack on my car.

The other thing you might consider is that the hitch is actually made for the Camaro, but the roof rack is "universal" so you may have some difficulty getting it attached to the car without it fitting exactly right and possibly leaving marks on the finish. And if you keep putting it in and taking it off, it is sure to mess up the paint over time.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
I put a hidden hitch on mine so I can haul my bike on that type of bike rack. It is unobtrusive on the car and doesnt risk damage like the roof racks do. Some of the hitches I've seen do not 'hide' very well but the one I have does a decent job.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
detroitjohnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
I put a hidden hitch on mine so I can haul my bike on that type of bike rack. It is unobtrusive on the car and doesnt risk damage like the roof racks do. Some of the hitches I've seen do not 'hide' very well but the one I have does a decent job.

Looking around the last couple of days, and spending some time last night checking out the roof of the camaro I am going to go with a hitch and hitch rack.

The one you have installed above is the hidden hitch brand? Looks fairly low profile. Is it a true "no drill" install?
Old 05-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitjohnny View Post
Looking around the last couple of days, and spending some time last night checking out the roof of the camaro I am going to go with a hitch and hitch rack.

The one you have installed above is the hidden hitch brand? Looks fairly low profile. Is it a true "no drill" install?
It is a "hidden hitch brand" and is no drill. I did have to partially remove the black plastic part of the rear bumper during installation though.

It bolts up to existing studs so no drill or modification required.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
detroitjohnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
It is a "hidden hitch brand" and is no drill. I did have to partially remove the black plastic part of the rear bumper during installation though.

It bolts up to existing studs so no drill or modification required.

Great, thanks!! That's the one I ordered today. I'll post pics when I get it installed.

Tags
bike, roof rack