Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #71
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIZL1 View Post
My point exactly!

The dealer says, they won't get reimbursed, so it's a GM policy. The local rep confirms not covered. Pay $361 at the window please ....next.
The reason they are saying that it won't get reimbursed is because they (the dealer) are telling GM the reason the battery split is because it froze. GM's warranty policy is they won't warranty frozen batteries. This is not GM's fault, this is your dealers fault because they documented that on the repair order and its now officially in the GM repair system which GM uses to pay warranty claims. Whether or not that's actually what happened, this is their (the dealer) "expert" opinion of what happened.

What they should have done was talked to you first, before they put it in the system and worked something out. Some dealers will do this as a matter of providing good customer service, some won't.

To reiterate what others have said, this is your dealer screwing you over, not GM. Their warranty policy is clear on items like brakes, wipers, tires and how they warranty batteries. Its your dealer not working with you and treating a high level customer with some courtesy.

For those that say Chevy dealers are not as good as Cadillac or others, I have been buying Chevy's most of my life and have always had good luck with dealing with service departments on sticky situations. It just depends on your relationship and how you handle situations in most cases. That's not to say that there aren't dealers who don't care, they are out there as well.

Good luck, hopefully you can get the dealer to give you something, maybe 50% off the bill

Last edited by flyinlow; 04-28-2014 at 02:34 PM.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:43 PM   #72
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
This couldve been a situation where the dealer couldve stepped up and gained so much goodwill. Shame...

But dont the service writers get paid commission too? So I am sure they were thinking more about their pocket vs the customer.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #73
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
you bought a ZL1 and a C7 at that dealership? Please inform that dealer that they are losing a valuable customer that buys their cars.

P.S. Maybe you payed MRSP on both cars and they wanted to stick it to you with this battery situation
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #74
MIZL1

Drives: Just a few!
Today I received a call from the GM customer service. They informed me the Dealer has denied my claim...big surprise. When I asked the GM CS guy to provided me with written proof of warranty claim he said please hold I'll attempt to get your dealer on the phone.

Next I knew we had a three way call, Dealer GM CS and myself. The dealer rep informed me the warranty was not being covered because GM policy on battery is only 12mths. I said not frozen, "I don't think it froze but its out of warranty anyway"

I then asked for this in writing upon receipt of the email I got the same 2012 warranty book I received with the Car which says nothing that denies coverage. But the Dealer points out warranty is 12 months on "Consumable Batteries *" I then respond by saying the * means remote key-fob batteries and asked for a refund and my claim warranted as nothing states a reason or exception as 3/36,000 would apply in my opinion.

Before close the Dealer is now claiming Froze Battery again and I cut and pasted today's response.

" Let me point out two sentences:
1. "Failure of or damage to components requiring replacement or repair due to vehicle use, wear, exposure, or lack of maintenance is not covered"
2. "Limited Warranty only covers components when replacement or repair of these components is the result of a defect in material or workmanship"

It is my understanding that batteries fall under the Maintenance category and are not covered even though it is not specifically listed. "

In my opinion of what they are telling me is the GM warranty does not specifically call out the battery as not being covered. I need to read between the lines to reach the clause in either 1 or 2 listed above.

To respond to some other posts; I did not buy my ZL1 from Graff, attempted to but didn't have enough allocation. I don't think they are one of the 900 or so Corvette dealers at this location, bought that car out of state as Z51's were hard to get.

So maybe they don't want my service business either.

Current GM CS guy doesn't seem to understand my point nor care other than lots CS 101 training. Dealer is telling me 12 month on battery yet he says nothing.

Really can't go to another dealer, I didn't get nor want my leaking core.

Maybe I'm the minority that feels GM should pay for the battery. Everyone seems satisfied but I'm not convinced I am wrong.

Last edited by MIZL1; 04-28-2014 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Typo
MIZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:14 PM   #75
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Today I received a call from the GM customer service. They informed me the Dealer has denied my claim...big surprise. When I asked the GM CS guy to provided me with written proof of warranty claim he said please hold I'll attempt to get your dealer on the phone.

Next I knew we had a three way call Dealer, GM CS and myself. The dealer rep informed both me the warranty was not being covered because GM policy on battery is only 12mths. I said not frozen, "I don't think it froze but its out of warranty anyway"

I then asked for this in writing upon receipt of the email I got the same 2012 warranty book I received with the Car which says nothing that denies coverage. But the Dealer points out warranty is 12 months on "Consumable Batteries *" I then respond by saying the * means remote key-fob batteries and asked for a refund and my claim warranted as nothing states a reason or exception as 3/36,000 would apply in my opinion.

Before close the Dealer is now claiming Froze Battery again and I cut and pasted today's response.

" Let me point out two sentences:
1. "Failure of or damage to components requiring replacement or repair due to vehicle use, wear, exposure, or lack of maintenance is not covered"
2. "Limited Warranty only covers components when replacement or repair of these components is the result of a defect in material or workmanship"

It is my understanding that batteries fall under the Maintenance category and are not covered even though it is not specifically listed. "

In my opinion of what they are telling me is the GM warranty does not specifically call out the battery as not being covered. I need to read between the lines to reach the clause in either 1 or 2 listed above.

Additionally I did not buy my ZL1 from them, attempted to but didn't have enough allocation. I don't think they are one of the 900 or so Corvette dealers at this location, bought that car out of state as Z51's were hard to get.

So maybe they don't want my service business either.

Current GM CS guy doesn't seem to understand my point nor care other than lots CS 101 training.

Really can't go to another dealer, I didn't get nor want my leaking core.

Maybe I'm the minority that feels GM should pay for the battery. Everyone seems satisfied but I'm not convinced I wrong.
I agree there was clearly an opportunity to help you out. I also agree no one is able to really give you a clear answer. I interpret the warranty for what is not covered but also that it should be prorated after the specified period of time.

But in the end I think the worse May be that because you felt you might get considerations after the fact you paid far more than you would have in 4 or 5 years to replace battery after normal wear.

If it helps I think we have all learned something from your experience.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:52 PM   #76
MIZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
The reason they are saying that it won't get reimbursed is because they (the dealer) are telling GM the reason the battery split is because it froze. GM's warranty policy is they won't warranty frozen batteries. This is not GM's fault, this is your dealers fault because they documented that on the repair order and its now officially in the GM repair system which GM uses to pay warranty claims. Whether or not that's actually what happened, this is their (the dealer) "expert" opinion of what happened.

What they should have done was talked to you first, before they put it in the system and worked something out. Some dealers will do this as a matter of providing good customer service, some won't.

To reiterate what others have said, this is your dealer screwing you over, not GM. Their warranty policy is clear on items like brakes, wipers, tires and how they warranty batteries. Its your dealer not working with you and treating a high level customer with some courtesy.

For those that say Chevy dealers are not as good as Cadillac or others, I have been buying Chevy's most of my life and have always had good luck with dealing with service departments on sticky situations. It just depends on your relationship and how you handle situations in most cases. That's not to say that there aren't dealers who don't care, they are out there as well.

Good luck, hopefully you can get the dealer to give you something, maybe 50% off the bill
Very good point regarding the dealer. When the car was being serviced I asked to speak with the mechanic they went to get him and he was too busy.

This dealer is forgetting whom they are working for. They truly should be the customer advocate instead they are considering what's best for them.

But I can tell you at great costs, never never again.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:01 PM   #77
MIZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Holy crap!!! a $313 battery. I would have been more pissed at than than non-coverage.

Attachment 620597
I called another division of Graff Chevrolet that is in state and to my surprise they provided a written quote for $225 for the same battery they charged $313. I called the Dealer in Bay City and said not only is GM or Dealer sticking it to me on warranty I was over charged based upon their own parts departments written quote.

They acknowledged that the price should have been $225 and was a honest mistake and will refund the difference.

Called the Dealership owner awaiting a response.

Absolutely crap!
Old 04-30-2014, 10:16 AM   #78
Briand069

Drives: 1997/1969 Camaro's
Seems to me if the battery cracked from freezing it was already bad to begin with. Battery acid freezes at very low temps unless the battery was discharged. Where was the crack? On a seam or down the side? At the very least they should have prorated the battery and not charged full price. Just my opinion.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #79
MIZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briand069 View Post
Seems to me if the battery cracked from freezing it was already bad to begin with. Battery acid freezes at very low temps unless the battery was discharged. Where was the crack? On a seam or down the side? At the very least they should have prorated the battery and not charged full price. Just my opinion.

Crack was 2/3 down the side of a corner. Dealer now says it may not have been from freezing possible abused or mishandled by some.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #80
MIZL1

One of the Owners of Graff has contacted me directly. After a long review of the 2012 Chevrolet Warranty has decided to stand behind the fact that GM has no exception to this claim and should be 3yr/36,000 and has given me a full refund.

You never know how good your warranty is until you make a claim. Its how well the claim is honored that gives you confidence. My current and future business is earned with every transaction. I may have gotten my money but its the needless effort in doing so that's so frustrating.

All my vehicles are GM products (very very few issues), many late model. I have no intention of fighting for every claim. Dealer has a meeting with GM Reps(s) next week and will provide me their final determination in writing as requested.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #81
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
One of the Owners of Graff has contacted me directly. After a long review of the 2012 Chevrolet Warranty has decided to stand behind the fact that GM has no exception to this claim and should be 3yr/36,000 and has given me a full refund.

You never know how good your warranty is until you make a claim. Its how well the claim is honored that gives you confidence. My current and future business is earned with every transaction. I may have gotten my money but its the needless effort in doing so that's so frustrating.

All my vehicles are GM products (very very few issues), many late model. I have no intention of fighting for every claim. Dealer has a meeting with GM Reps(s) next week and will provide me their final determination in writing as requested.
Good news. Glad to hear you were taken care of. Just sad it took so much.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #82
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Welcome to new business practices to max out profits. Next time buy an aftermarket battery and don't buy anything from the dealer. I replaced my battery after 3 years and only paid 175.00
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #83
Reichler

Drives: 2004 GTO & 2005 GTO
That's more time and effort wasted than it would have been to just go buy a new battery and be done with it. The cost of a new battery is worth the piece of mind that I didn't have to have some dealership technician touch my car. That's just me though. I do NOT like other people touching my cars.

I actually asked if the dealer could take $$ off for the 2 year free scheduled service when I bought the Camaro. I told them point blank that they will probably never see the car ever again unless something catastrophic happens as I like to work on my car(s) myself. That and it's been a LONG time since I've left a car stock long enough to ride out a warranty. A service manual and a good set of tools is what keeps me happy.
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:31 PM   #84
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
1st they are total idiots and they ripped you off.
2nd I live in Canada and I assure you that its very very very rare that batteries crack, like never. All the cars I had, during all freaking winter we see -30 to -40deg celcius!!!, I only had one battery that cracked du to frozen acid and the battery was all deformed, no leak. It was an old ass battery picking up dust in the non heated garage.
3rd they could never sell a battery or a car if its not good enough to survive in extreme cold.

I cant believe they lost a solid customer for a stupid battery.

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote