Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #57
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
Actually your incorrect, the context was the weight of the next gen Camaro. Since we know that the 6 gen Camaro is literally an ATS coupe with different styling and a Chevy badge, concerns about the next gen Camaro being over weight is abit silly. Heck since its a coupe it might be a couple of pounds lighter than the ATS sedan..
Actually the next generation Camaro will be on the ATS sedan wheel base (ATS coupe wheel base will be shorter).

Yes the ATS with 2.5L engine and 6 speed automatic has a curb weight of 3,315 pounds which is the lowest in its class. Its close competitors being the Lexus IS250 and Infiniti G25 sedans its 140 pounds lighter then the Lexus IS250 and 234 pounds lighter then the infiniti.

Also Cadillac didn't make the ATS as light as they could have as they didn't want to do anything that would give it a cheaper feel. After all its in a competitive compact luxury car segment so it can't be super cheap feeling.

Granted I don't expect the 6th generation Camaro to pack the 2.5L engine but in base form possibly the 2.0T. Though there is no weight stat for the ATS with the 2.0T the 3.6 LFX in the ATS is 3,463 pounds so I would expect it to be slightly less then that. Maybe 3,400 pounds so I would expect around that for the 6th generation Camaro with the 2.0T. That would be ideally 300 pounds lighter then the current LFX Camaro.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #58
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
this.

I know the inventories at my local dealers is severely depleted. but it's actaully the opposite around here. only thing they have lefter are the higher priced ones. anything under 30k is pretty much gone now.
My local dealer inventory shows 71 New camaros in their system, 15 of them are 2SS models, They have NEW 2011, 2012 and 2013 models on the lot.

http://www.castlechevycars.com/Vehic...MPG=2147483647
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #59
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Doubtful.
that stinks!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #60
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrammer View Post
The genreal needs to import some more of those hot Australian Holdens. This is a supercharged LS3 Comodore HSV Grand Sport. Same zeta frame as the Camaro. Its basically a Pontiac G8 with a ZL1 power train. Lets bring the pontiac badged holdens (G8 & GTO) back as bad ass chevys or buicks. Hell love to see Pontiac name plate again. Just a thought or two.

I see a Chevelle!!!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #61
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan View Post
Couldn't be further form the truth.

There's actual data that can be publicly found. Check out TrueCar

Quick search and you'll find this:

2012 Mustang GT Premium = average of $5,043 in savings
2012 Mustang GT = average of $4,643 in savings
2012 Camaro 2SS = average of $551 in savings

(based on Metro Detroit dealers)
My statement applies locally. I've been shopping, and the GM guys are far more generous at the moment here than the Ford folk.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #62
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
GM has some spiffs now. Rather than give rebates which lower residuals they are giving dealers an opportunity to sell x cars. If they meet that number the quarterly payoff can be huge. More than $100k for larger dealers. Some dealers will take the bait and discount the cars thousands off of invoice and never hit their target number, losing tens of thousands of $. Some Blow past their targets and make huge profits.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #63
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
I just returned from a business trip to Orlando last week and I saw as many or more Camaro's as Mustangs in the rental fleets.
You can't rent any camaros in the Chicago area

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #64
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
Depends entirely on the person doing the viewing. I agree the Mustang styling is getting long in the tooth, seeing that it is in its 8th year model with the same basic silhouette while the Camaro is "fresher" but, personally, neither looks fundamentally better than the other, just different.
Whatever! Again this is a forum for people who are passionate about Camaros. And they DO look better than the mustang. Sorry that you don't see it that way.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #65
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
You can't rent any camaros in the Chicago area
You can't rent shit in Chicago. Not even at the airports. This city is a barren shithole when it comes to cars. I fly into Phoenix and the rental agencies are full of mustangs, camaros, etc. I need to get out of this dump.

Quote:
Almost bought a 2013 Mustang GT for $3,000 off MSRP & could of had a 2012 Mustang GT for $7,000 off MSRP but after driving the 13 GT the 12 GT wasn't even an option.

Even with $3,000 off MSRP on the 2013 Mustang GT I paid almost $2,000 less for my Camaro 2SS/RS.
I would love to see the math on that. I have done the math and MSRP to MSRP the camaro is around $2000 more expensive and that doesn't include the RS package to get the HIDs. HIDs are standard equipment on the 2013 mustangs. The mustang also comes with deeper discounts.

Quote:
Ford has indeed stepped it up, I think they are making sure they take back the sales lead with incentives. They can't be making nearly as much profit per unit as the Camaro, can it?
They have stepped it up.

HIDs are standard. You need to buy the RS kit on the camaro to get that.
LED taillights that are blacked out.
Aluminum used in the interior.
The track apps are awesome.
... etc.
And the incentives have been great.

IDK if Ford makes more profit or not, but I do know that Ford allows their dealers to make more profit. I get supplier discounts for both GM and Ford and Ford's supplier discount is almost double GM's.

Quote:
Either way, these two cars are priced in the same range so if Ford is giving more bang for the buck it's going to be a tough sell for Chevy. Unless they step up w/ something other than My Link, frameless RVM and Navigation I doubt they'll be outselling their chief rival the rest of this year or for 2013.
Ford does give good bang for the buck in terms of features, but I believe the components used in the camaro are higher quality when it comes to mechanics. The camaro also has fresher styling that helps.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #66
proxemics

Drives: 09 shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
Ford does give good bang for the buck in terms of features, but I believe the components used in the camaro are higher quality when it comes to mechanics. The camaro also has fresher styling that helps.
I believe the other way

2005 honda accord DD
2009 shelby GT500
1990 LS1 foxbody.Sold
1996 mustang GT.Sold
1994 corvette.Sold
2000 mustang.Sold
1987 camaro Z28.Sold
1985 Supra.Sold
2008 mustang GT.Sold
proxemics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #67
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrammer View Post
The genreal needs to import some more of those hot Australian Holdens. This is a supercharged LS3 Comodore HSV Grand Sport. Same zeta frame as the Camaro. Its basically a Pontiac G8 with a ZL1 power train. Lets bring the pontiac badged holdens (G8 & GTO) back as bad ass chevys or buicks. Hell love to see Pontiac name plate again. Just a thought or two.

VF Commodore will be imported next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
C'mon. One car and I'm wrong? Is ATS even out yet? Even if it's not, I'll give you that.... and I'll come back w/ Sonic, Cruze, Malibu, Impala.... nearly every car, nearly every class, heavier than all other makes. You named only one car in one class, and once is luck.

Twice? That's a trend, three times is a pattern, more than that and it's obvious.

Look, I'm a Chevy guy through and through, but to claim what I posted about Chevy and GM being heavier as false is just flat out wrong and you know it.... You're far too smart to deny what I'm saying.

I hope I'm wrong about the next gen Camaro still being heavier than the competition based upon GM's history. Having said that, I secretly hope that I'm not wrong about that, so I can keep my 5th gen. If the next gen were beautiful like the 5th gen, and had better power to weight I would have to trade my 5th gen, and I don't ever wanna do that b/c I love her far too much to ever part w/ her.

So, you're wrong! Ok?
If only you knew how much weight reduction GM was doing for upcoming launch products. Especially K2XX trucks.

Luck? Obviously you know little to nothing about the ATS's development. Engineers were challenged every day to reduce weight, even if it was just an ounce/day. For example, the paddle shifters are made of magnesium for the sole purpose of saving a few ounces.

The 6th gen will be lighter. GM knows they have a weight problem. And they're fixing it.

Last edited by FenwickHockey65; 07-06-2012 at 11:00 AM.
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #68
terryg75

Drives: Cross flags and 3 pointed stars
From a dealer's perspective...

We can't keep V6 Camaro's on the lot at all. They are flying out of here and we can't get enough of them. The SS models still sell, but not quite as fast. If you put the factory GFX or 21" wheels on one it's the kiss of death. When you hit $41-$44k for a SS/RS coupe you start getting in to base Corvette territory and we can't keep those models around either. Then again, we sell about 25 'vette's a month compared to 15 Camaro's so maybe thats because of our inventory selection. It's hard for us to keep more than 10 Camaro's of any kind on the lot but I have almost 100 new 'vettes on the ground. And I don't think we'll start hearing any real info about the 6th GEN Camaro until after the C7 has been out for a year or so. Since it's supposed to have the new 5.5 V8 for lower weight and higher HP/better MPG's and the same engine now is used in both the car's GM is probably waiting to see what the actual performance numbers and public reaction will be. I do know that no matter what happens...it's going to be a great time to be selling CHEVY'S!
terryg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #69
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
No 5.5L V8. It's a racing-only displacement.

And where are you in Columbus?
Old 07-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #70
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
I believe the other way
LoL. Fair enough. I guess that's why my money went to Chevy and yours to Ford?

But...I am interested to know why you believe that. What made you come up with your conclusion?
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote