Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-08-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
shadowghost21

Drives: 2011 Grey 2LT Camaro
Cold Air intake, throttle body, headers, lots of questions.

Well I have been poking around nothing serious yet, but I want to get a CAI and possible throttle body with new headers put on.

I have an 88 Mazda rx7 that my fiance and I bought for a race car and it never hurts to add some more HP to my sweet camaro, although I know I should probably put the money into the rx7

Anyway, I got my car back in August and am looking for some HP and while it doesn't mater much maybe some more MPG. I have been looking at first and foremost getting a CAI system. I have looked at CAI and Roto-fab, but just tonight I saw the BBK intake and it's almost 200 dollars cheaper than the CAI intake, what is the difference? I am leaning to the BBK because than I can afford some more mods

Couple questions about warranty, if I do either the throttle body or the headers will that void my warranty?

What are the best bang for the buck throttle body and headers I can get for my wonderful camaro?

I was also thinking of getting those aluminum louvers... They must add like 3-8 HP alone!!!

But all in all with winter coming (i live in Colorado) I am hoping my all seasons work well enough to get to work. I would rather get some mods than have to buy snow tires since those of you who live in Colorado know, about 2 days after it snows the roads are dry again and it ends up just freaking cold. And if I didn't have heated seats in my 2LT hehe, I would just get studded snow tires for the rx7 and drive it to work.

So any useful advice you guys have for this new camaro owner?
shadowghost21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #2
Beauwulf

Drives: '10 LT RS A6 & '04 Acura RSX Type S
Answers to all your questions can be found via the "search" function. If, after you read up a little on those results, you have some specific questions, we will try help you then.

Not meaning to sound like a putz here but, that's what forums are for.... You will find many different answers to your questions based on our members experiences so, there really isn't "one" answer to your questions. So, spend a little time with the search function and see what you come up with....
Old 10-09-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowghost21 View Post
Well I have been poking around nothing serious yet, but I want to get a CAI and possible throttle body with new headers put on.

I have an 88 Mazda rx7 that my fiance and I bought for a race car and it never hurts to add some more HP to my sweet camaro, although I know I should probably put the money into the rx7

Anyway, I got my car back in August and am looking for some HP and while it doesn't mater much maybe some more MPG. I have been looking at first and foremost getting a CAI system. I have looked at CAI and Roto-fab, but just tonight I saw the BBK intake and it's almost 200 dollars cheaper than the CAI intake, what is the difference? I am leaning to the BBK because than I can afford some more mods

Couple questions about warranty, if I do either the throttle body or the headers will that void my warranty?

What are the best bang for the buck throttle body and headers I can get for my wonderful camaro?

I was also thinking of getting those aluminum louvers... They must add like 3-8 HP alone!!!

But all in all with winter coming (i live in Colorado) I am hoping my all seasons work well enough to get to work. I would rather get some mods than have to buy snow tires since those of you who live in Colorado know, about 2 days after it snows the roads are dry again and it ends up just freaking cold. And if I didn't have heated seats in my 2LT hehe, I would just get studded snow tires for the rx7 and drive it to work.

So any useful advice you guys have for this new camaro owner?
Some one say Louvers? LOL!

scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
shadowghost21

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Some one say Louvers? LOL!

Oh yeah man, those are sexy.

I have been looking around the forums and as far as CAI systems, I can find everything I would ever want to know about, vararam, CAI, Roto-fab and Injen. Those don't void your warranty. They give you some HP gains. But what about BBK, didn't find much on the subject. Don't assume I didn't read. I just wanted reassurance about the whole warranty issue with headers and throttle body. I hear 3 things. It will void your warranty. It won't void your warranty or your dealer has to prove that the aftermarket part is the one that caused the malfunction. I'm not looking for a hand out just a point in the right direction.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
Beauwulf

Quote:
Oh yeah man, those are sexy.

I have been looking around the forums and as far as CAI systems, I can find everything I would ever want to know about, vararam, CAI, Roto-fab and Injen. Those don't void your warranty. They give you some HP gains. But what about BBK, didn't find much on the subject. Don't assume I didn't read. I just wanted reassurance about the whole warranty issue with headers and throttle body. I hear 3 things. It will void your warranty. It won't void your warranty or your dealer has to prove that the aftermarket part is the one that caused the malfunction. I'm not looking for a hand out just a point in the right direction.
None of the CAIs or axleback/catback systems void your warranty. Other mods like a tune or headers that cause a CEL, or stuff like NOS will void it IF you have a failure that can be "Directly associated to" that mod.

Now, that said, you will be under your dealers thumb on whether the failure was caused by one of your mods. You do have recourse thru the Magnussen Act but that could require a court battle if they want to be putzes about it!

There have been cases where vocal forum members have had issues resolved that might not have been addressed by the OEM though.... there is strength in numbers!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
shadowghost21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauwulf View Post
None of the CAIs or axleback/catback systems void your warranty. Other mods like a tune or headers that cause a CEL, or stuff like NOS will void it IF you have a failure that can be "Directly associated to" that mod.

Now, that said, you will be under your dealers thumb on whether the failure was caused by one of your mods. You do have recourse thru the Magnussen Act but that could require a court battle if they want to be putzes about it!

There have been cases where vocal forum members have had issues resolved that might not have been addressed by the OEM though.... there is strength in numbers!
That's for clearing that up for me. I just want to make sure that everything I read was on the same wavelength in my brain.

So I'll get the CAI and some louvers, that adds 5-hp seriously hehe.

But looks like the jury is still out on the BBK, from what i can tell, the difference between it and the Roto-fab (which people love) is the intake pipe is plastic on the Roto-fab. I am not sure why that would make it more expensive though. You do get color options with roto fab. But I don't think the price difference is worth it. I am leaning to the BBk at the moment. Guess if I get them I'll keep you all posted on any performance gains I see.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
Beauwulf

Quote:
That's for clearing that up for me. I just want to make sure that everything I read was on the same wavelength in my brain.

So I'll get the CAI and some louvers, that adds 5-hp seriously hehe.

But looks like the jury is still out on the BBK, from what i can tell, the difference between it and the Roto-fab (which people love) is the intake pipe is plastic on the Roto-fab. I am not sure why that would make it more expensive though. You do get color options with roto fab. But I don't think the price difference is worth it. I am leaning to the BBk at the moment. Guess if I get them I'll keep you all posted on any performance gains I see.
HP gains (or yes, even losses) with a CAI can be different based on the location and internal velocity around the IAT/MAF sensor which is mounted inside the tube.

A prime example is the base model K&N intake which causes a CEL or the Airaid Ver 1 (no longer available) which lost HP. I'm not saying the BBK is no good, just that there is more to an intake than meets the eye!

Plus, plastic tubes tend to heat soak which leads to incorrect IAT temps reported to the ECU and that will cost you HP!