Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by metthem View Post
Before I left work last night the next shift of people were coming in later than usual, it was snowing, there was icing under the snow, highways were shutting down, etc. An OH SH** moment. Should I wait for snow plows to do there thing or should I chance it. Well, you know what, this will be a good time to check out them blizzaks, Im gonna go for it.
I picked my route out in my mind, the best way with the least amount of hills and curves. 1/3 of the way home, no problems, no traffic, now to hit a more popular road. Oh no, cops with flares out, can't go this way, gotta go up hill. I see a lot of tail lights about a quarter mile away, so I go truckin through. No problems till I get to all the stopped traffic, cars spinning, cars sideways, cars stopped. I decide im doing fine, gonna take the inside lane, up I go till I get to the next batch of stopped cars, waiting, waiting, waiting, I guess I can go around the outside of these stopped cars. Yep, no problem. Uh oh, lights about to change, Im sure I can go thru on very yellow, hope that state trooper turning behind me dont get me for that. Nope, I don't think he can keep up with me; Im in a tank...... More flairs, more cops, cars sideways on the sidewalk, I gotta turn, no problem. Uh oh, this road has not seen any kind of plow yet, cars are stuck, and Im just trucking on through.
Amazing, not once did I have an oh sh** moment. I felt like the king of the road.. I cannot help but think people were thinking WTF, thats a Camaro passing me in this crap....
I have been thinking about a new car lately, been deciding over an SS or a few others, this has really got me loving my Camaro again.
Thanks for reading,
Gary
Bahaha, I get that look all the time. Both when I had my 2011 LT and now with my 2013 SS. We had 11" of snow back in December and just the other day we got 6" more. Granted I waited until I wouldn't get high centered to leave but I haven't had any problems getting around this winter or last winter.
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #16
sprangalang

Drives: 2012 2SS
I Love my Blizzaks.
No wait, I love my Camaro with Blizzaks on, in the snow.

One thing about these tires, they do kick up a lot of debris, so think of the poor sap behind you - or not. lol
sprangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #17
moserbe

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
It's all about the tires. Perelli's won't do that. Good driving by you also helped show up those other cars.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #18
RallyellowRS

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
Another reason why I need to get snow tires... This is great to hear. I have gotten stuck a couple times this year because I am still nascaring around with the pzeros with 22k on them .....

Me too.. When I got to work yesterday I could not get up the steep hill after 2 attempts and only 1.5 inches of snow I felt like an idiot. So I had to park in the industrial park next door. My husband and I work for the same company, so when he got to work the first thing he said to me was "There's a Yellow Camaro just like yours next door". LOL
RallyellowRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #19
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
Snow tires and common sense.

And when I lose the common sense, the Snow Tires, Traction Control, and Stability Control save my butt.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #20
IBM

Drives: '11 2LT/RS IBM
They didn't clear the roads at all around us last night.. I got stuck in Union at the bottom of a hill and had to abandon it for the night. But I have the summer tires on which makes all the difference.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:33 PM   #21
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
Good to know. I drive a 40 mile commute in the snow belt of Ohio- and could use a "tank" in the winter.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #22
metthem

Drives: 2011 LS
Ttt for this winter
Trifecta tune, CAI intake, ADM Race Scoop, Doug Thorley Shorties, Solo High Flow Cats, Magnaflow resonated X-pipe, Flowmaster AMT axle back, Gary's custom front bowtie, rear bowtie delete, tinted windows, headlights, and taillights, debadged fenders, gunmetal gills, gunmetal tailgate (CAMARO)
metthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #23
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
What is this snow you speak of?
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #24
attymf

Drives: 2017 SS
No worried for me. I could have bought all season tires for $800 or a used 2002 escape
4x4 for the winter for $1,800. Runs good. Everything works. 96k and its the V6!

SS, A8, Procharger, M&T's and stuff...
attymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #25
luis550

Drives: 2013 2lt
We recently had snow and ice here in midland Texas. I loved passing 4x4 silverados on the side of the road in my camaro
luis550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #26
DwRed1LTV6

Drives: '11 VR 2LT HHr
Cool story from last year metthem
Good luck this season with your LS !!!

Its true Tires and Common Sense.
Was late in the season and my tires
on my Hhr were getting worn.

Never would i have thought i would fish tail in
a front wheel drive but it happened.
Was able to catch it both times thank goodness.

And i am sure the person sitting at the light to my right
thought they were gonna see me wreck.

DwRed1LTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #27
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Awesome story man...I was sweating with you the whole way. Glad you got home safe!

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #28
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
<<<<< Lives In MN. I haven't seen a Camaro since 1st of Novermber? They all may be like me in the Garage for the Winter. The salt and sand and road grime is More why I put mine away. Plus I have a dd for the winter. <<<
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote