Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #1
metthem

Drives: 2011 LS
Last night in the snow

Before I left work last night the next shift of people were coming in later than usual, it was snowing, there was icing under the snow, highways were shutting down, etc. An OH SH** moment. Should I wait for snow plows to do there thing or should I chance it. Well, you know what, this will be a good time to check out them blizzaks, Im gonna go for it.
I picked my route out in my mind, the best way with the least amount of hills and curves. 1/3 of the way home, no problems, no traffic, now to hit a more popular road. Oh no, cops with flares out, can't go this way, gotta go up hill. I see a lot of tail lights about a quarter mile away, so I go truckin through. No problems till I get to all the stopped traffic, cars spinning, cars sideways, cars stopped. I decide im doing fine, gonna take the inside lane, up I go till I get to the next batch of stopped cars, waiting, waiting, waiting, I guess I can go around the outside of these stopped cars. Yep, no problem. Uh oh, lights about to change, Im sure I can go thru on very yellow, hope that state trooper turning behind me dont get me for that. Nope, I don't think he can keep up with me; Im in a tank...... More flairs, more cops, cars sideways on the sidewalk, I gotta turn, no problem. Uh oh, this road has not seen any kind of plow yet, cars are stuck, and Im just trucking on through.
Amazing, not once did I have an oh sh** moment. I felt like the king of the road.. I cannot help but think people were thinking WTF, thats a Camaro passing me in this crap....
I have been thinking about a new car lately, been deciding over an SS or a few others, this has really got me loving my Camaro again.
Thanks for reading,
Gary
Trifecta tune, CAI intake, ADM Race Scoop, Doug Thorley Shorties, Solo High Flow Cats, Magnaflow resonated X-pipe, Flowmaster AMT axle back, Gary's custom front bowtie, rear bowtie delete, tinted windows, headlights, and taillights, debadged fenders, gunmetal gills, gunmetal tailgate (CAMARO)

Last edited by metthem; 02-01-2013 at 10:04 AM.
metthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Yep. I had a similar experience when I got caught out in a fast & deep snow with ice under it my first winter with Ruby. Gotta love it!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG

I need me some tires for the snow... :(
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
stmbtwilli

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 2SS
Metthem, I get the same feeling. The Blizzaks are great and there isn't anywhere my car won't go in the snow. Nothing I've driven in the last 56 years is as good in the snow as my 45th. We take my car over my wife's CTS coupe with all wheel drive.
Plus, we get to drive our cars year round. No garage queens here.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
The LS has the 50/50 weight distribution, thus awesome in the snow. (never tried it though).
Old 02-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
metthem

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmbtwilli View Post
Metthem, I get the same feeling. The Blizzaks are great and there isn't anywhere my car won't go in the snow. Nothing I've driven in the last 56 years is as good in the snow as my 45th. We take my car over my wife's CTS coupe with all wheel drive.
Plus, we get to drive our cars year round. No garage queens here.
No queens here BABY!
Trifecta tune, CAI intake, ADM Race Scoop, Doug Thorley Shorties, Solo High Flow Cats, Magnaflow resonated X-pipe, Flowmaster AMT axle back, Gary's custom front bowtie, rear bowtie delete, tinted windows, headlights, and taillights, debadged fenders, gunmetal gills, gunmetal tailgate (CAMARO)
metthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
Indy Bumble Bee

Drives: Beest
Another reason why I need to get snow tires... This is great to hear. I have gotten stuck a couple times this year because I am still nascaring around with the pzeros with 22k on them

Great story btw!
Indy Bumble Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
SS785

Drives: Camaro SS
Thanks for sharing, great story! Makes me wish I could use my other wheels on my car :(
SS785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
mntgome1

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS/RS
Just confirms my theory on snow.... 95% is drivers skill and common sense. Awesome job metthem
Old 02-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by metthem View Post
Before I left work last night the next shift of people were coming in later than usual, it was snowing, there was icing under the snow, highways were shutting down, etc. An OH SH** moment. Should I wait for snow plows to do there thing or should I chance it. Well, you know what, this will be a good time to check out them blizzaks, Im gonna go for it.
I picked my route out in my mind, the best way with the least amount of hills and curves. 1/3 of the way home, no problems, no traffic, now to hit a more popular road. Oh no, cops with flares out, can't go this way, gotta go up hill. I see a lot of tail lights about a quarter mile away, so I go truckin through. No problems till I get to all the stopped traffic, cars spinning, cars sideways, cars stopped. I decide im doing fine, gonna take the inside lane, up I go till I get to the next batch of stopped cars, waiting, waiting, waiting, I guess I can go around the outside of these stopped cars. Yep, no problem. Uh oh, lights about to change, Im sure I can go thru on very yellow, hope that state trooper turning behind me dont get me for that. Nope, I don't think he can keep up with me; Im in a tank...... More flairs, more cops, cars sideways on the sidewalk, I gotta turn, no problem. Uh oh, this road has not seen any kind of plow yet, cars are stuck, and Im just trucking on through.
Amazing, not once did I have an oh sh** moment. I felt like the king of the road.. I cannot help but think people were thinking WTF, thats a Camaro passing me in this crap....
I have been thinking about a new car lately, been deciding over an SS or a few others, this has really got me loving my Camaro again.
Thanks for reading,
Gary
Thats why i laugh when people say the Camaro is not a good snow car , They are a great snow car with proper snow tires , without they could be junk in the snow i dont know i have not tried , I have gone throw 10 inches of snow no problem many times i just blaze past all those supposed good front wheel drives , The car is a tank in the snow . Thank:
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
12 ZL1 #1725

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Black 6M
12 ZL1 #1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
Saint_Shroomie

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 2LT RS
Ditto, it snowed a bit in Maryland last night as well. So I finally got to try my Blizzaks too. They are indeed amazing. I went from not being able to escape my neighborhood in less than an inch of snow with my Pirelli P-Zeros to passing people who had to pull over cause they were too terrified to go any further. Snow tires FTW!
Saint_Shroomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #13
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Agreed... I've been doin' it in the snow for 30 years now, and have done it in everything from Subarus to H1s to Civcs to Silverados... and the 5th Gen rates very high on my list of snow- capable. Careful and cunning use of the traction control (usually on, but sometimes off for fun or necessity), strategic planning of trajectory, and this thing will blast right on past the scores of the not- so- capable runners out there that can't compensate for a little snow and ice with all the lift kits, AWD/ 4WD systems, or monster truck tires that money can buy. This car really does a very fine job in the snow... stock BFGs, nothing studded or knobbed...
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
I'm on my first set of snow tires ever in my whole life, they are awesome. Pirelli Ice + Snow on stock rims. Heartily recommend them.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote