Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 11-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
AztecCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk SS Auto Vert
What kind of stupid things has the dealer told you?

I wanted to share something stupid that my service rep told me today. This guy obviously doesn't know squat about how a clutch works.

I took him out for a drive to listen to a vibration coming from my transmission. While we were stopped at a light he tells me, " You really shouldn't leave it in gear while waiting at a stop light. Even though the clutch is depressed, it is still taking material off the clutch plate."

I turned to him and said " No, your wrong. Now see, this clutch is a hydraulic clutch which means it works on a fluid and pump system. The clutch master cylinder separates the clutch and flywheel and is separated by the throw out bearing. This allows it to spin freely with no friction."

"Oh"

Me: " if that were the case, people would go through a hell of a lot more clutches."

Lol. He was obviously a "part changer" and not a mechanic
AztecCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
he's right.

the disc doesn't magically float in the exact center of the pressure plate and flywheel. its going to lightly rub one, or float back and forth between the two. pressing the pedal down removes the pressure pinching the disk.

also, your thrust bearings are going to take a beating.

his response could be construed as either proving his inexperience / ignorance, or he exercising the old "the customer is always right" rhetoric.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
My dealer's service center told me at length that it was OK that they put a stock rear tire on a stock front rim, and vice versa, on my SS. The tires were just different heights, but the rims were the same width, they said. I was a touch unhappy that they had done this to me....and even if they were just different heights, whiskey tango foxtrot over...that doesn't make it OK

We had a disagreement for a moment and then the service center made a phone call to prove me wrong.

A minute after that, they were apologizing to me. For real, the customer has to tell you about the car?
Old 11-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
AztecCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
My dealer's service center told me at length that it was OK that they put a stock rear tire on a stock front rim, and vice versa, on my SS. The tires were just different heights, but the rims were the same width, they said. I was a touch unhappy that they had done this to me....and even if they were just different heights, whiskey tango foxtrot over...that doesn't make it OK

We had a disagreement for a moment and then the service center made a phone call to prove me wrong.

A minute after that, they were apologizing to me. For real, the customer has to tell you about the car?
The important side of the clutch plate, the side with the friction material does not touch the fly wheel when the throw out bearing is engaged. That's the whole point. You engage the throw out bearing, or also called the clutch release bearing, so that separation occurs between the flywheel and clutch plate. If complete separation did not happen, it would be very hard on the transmission and grinding would occur.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
cd3neil19

Drives: '10 2SS/RS & '14 Range Rover Sport
Cleaning the fuse box was required maintenance and that was why my gauges stopped working. Two days later I had a new instrument panel on the way for free and my money refunded.

Silver 2010 L99 SS/RS
Mods: Magnaflow Competition Series Exhaust, 20% Window Tint, Blacked out LED tail lights, OEM Color matched mudflaps.
cd3neil19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AztecCamaro View Post
The important side of the clutch plate, the side with the friction material does not touch the fly wheel when the throw out bearing is engaged. That's the whole point. You engage the throw out bearing, or also called the clutch release bearing, so that separation occurs between the flywheel and clutch plate. If complete separation did not happen, it would be very hard on the transmission and grinding would occur.
both sides of the clutch friction plate have friction material on it.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
AztecCamaro

Wow I just read my receipt and found out they topped off my tires with regular air. I have nitrogen filled tires with the green caps to indicate nitrogen. They also over filled it to 36psi because that's what the door sticker said.

I have the 21" Dusk rims and the Perelli tires have a max psi of 40. When I checked my psi they all said 39. For those I you who don't know, the 21 inch tires cost over $500 each an filling all 4 with nitrogen cost around $100.

So I called the service department and before I even said who I was, I asked " do you have nitrogen available for tires?" His response was " Yes but we don't have access to it today because it's all locked up next door." I said "Oh ok, well I was down there today and my receipt says you topped off my tires to 36 psi. I have nitrogen filled tires. that means you must have used regular air in my tires because your nitrogen is unavailable today, right? When I'm there next week I want you to refill my tires with pure nitrogen."

So I got that documented in my file. I also told them that they overfilled my tires and his response was that they have to check and fill them according to the sticker in the door because of California Law. My response was " you knew you didn't have nitrogen available and saw that I had the valve stem caps indicating nitrogen, why didn't you ask me first?"

He had no response. I wish there were still mechanics at dealerships
Old 11-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Me, "So, what can you tell me about the new Corvette?" Salesman, " I'm sorry, I dont know anthing about Corvettes, never sold one." "Can I interest you in a Equinox?"
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
The clutch disc suffers wear any time the pedal is between the full up and full down postions, especially under acceleration.

Holding the clutch pedal down at a stop light for significant time while not producing significant clutch wear however does flex the springs on the pressure plate and these will soften over time. This will cause clutch slippage and premature wear especially on the throw out bearing.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Hi! I didn't mention the clutch. I was talking about tires. You quoted the wrong post
Old 11-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
My Uncle owns the dealership and I asked him about a camaro they had on the lot and he goes "I don't anything about cars, I just sell them." lol atleast hes honest, but im always on his case for not knowing more than me about whats on his lot. Another bold statement a salesman told me was the 2014 camaro had no changes over the 2012 besides the taillights...
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Wow I just read my receipt and found out they topped off my tires with regular air. I have nitrogen filled tires with the green caps to indicate nitrogen. They also over filled it to 36psi because that's what the door sticker said.

I have the 21" Dusk rims and the Perelli tires have a max psi of 40. When I checked my psi they all said 39. For those I you who don't know, the 21 inch tires cost over $500 each an filling all 4 with nitrogen cost around $100.

So I called the service department and before I even said who I was, I asked " do you have nitrogen available for tires?" His response was " Yes but we don't have access to it today because it's all locked up next door." I said "Oh ok, well I was down there today and my receipt says you topped off my tires to 36 psi. I have nitrogen filled tires. that means you must have used regular air in my tires because your nitrogen is unavailable today, right? When I'm there next week I want you to refill my tires with pure nitrogen."

So I got that documented in my file. I also told them that they overfilled my tires and his response was that they have to check and fill them according to the sticker in the door because of California Law. My response was " you knew you didn't have nitrogen available and saw that I had the valve stem caps indicating nitrogen, why didn't you ask me first?"

He had no response. I wish there were still mechanics at dealerships
Now tell us the story of who talked you into paying 100 bucks to fill your tires with nitrogen.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Now tell us the story of who talked you into paying 100 bucks to fill your tires with nitrogen.

Way after I bought my car, like a year, I'm at the place I bought it for the free oil change and one of the salesmen is lying, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. One of the salesmen is talking to me and says the new Z/28 doesn't have a back seat. I didn't bother with him, I just went on doing that nod that says I really don't care.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #14
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
Dealership mechanics and service reps can be idiots. I was quoted 15.5 hours to change valve springs and push rods.... Should only take about 2 hours.

Another experience was with an alignment and tire change. Took them 4 hours. Low profile tires are hard to mount... and these Camaros are hard to align... BOZOS. At least the rims were spared.

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote