Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 07-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #141
1Camaro2SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Just went for another cruise around town today. So far so good with the build. I plan to track it at C5 Fest next month and see what it can do.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #142
SIN R G

Drives: 2008 VW R32, 2011 Synergy Green 2SS
Great thread and congrats on your build. I am looking to someday putting a cam in also. Originally I was also thinking of doing the LS3 conversion, but there are now a lot of shops producing some great numbers with cams and keeping the VVT. Before you went with the LS3 conversion did you give any thought of keeping the VVT. If you did, do you mind me asking what your reason was you went the way you did. If I were to make a decision right now, I would keep the VVT if I knew there was a local shop that has done it and can tune it.
SIN R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #143
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Hey man, this thread is great. I plan to do an LS3 conversion in the next few months and the Lethal Racing Night Fury cam.

I plan to do it within three days or so. Friday evening, saturday, sunday, and take off monday just in case.

That being said, would you think it is wise for me to pull the whole engine out?
I am doing a 3200 stall, but for my particular situation, it seems like possibly less work to drop the trans, driveshaft, exhaust(if necessary), and bracing instead of disconnecting all the lines, accessories, etc needed to pull the engine out.

Didnt plan on changing out the oil pump.

I have dropped just the trans on one occasion, and then the entire engine, trans, front cradle, etc on another occasion in my 1998 camaro, so I can do it. But I really am trying to save time since my car is a DD and I cant have it down too long. Especially since I have to have it towed to Lethal Racing for the tune, which is a couple hours away.

So the springs can be put on the heads outside the car, the advantage to working on the engine out of the car is just the timing chain/cover/and cam.

But I figured that removing the front bumper and radiator would get me a good angle of attack on the front of the engine.

What do you think? Thanks for this thread, helping me out alot.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #144
1Camaro2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Hey man, this thread is great. I plan to do an LS3 conversion in the next few months and the Lethal Racing Night Fury cam.

I plan to do it within three days or so. Friday evening, saturday, sunday, and take off monday just in case.

That being said, would you think it is wise for me to pull the whole engine out?
I am doing a 3200 stall, but for my particular situation, it seems like possibly less work to drop the trans, driveshaft, exhaust(if necessary), and bracing instead of disconnecting all the lines, accessories, etc needed to pull the engine out.

Didnt plan on changing out the oil pump.

I have dropped just the trans on one occasion, and then the entire engine, trans, front cradle, etc on another occasion in my 1998 camaro, so I can do it. But I really am trying to save time since my car is a DD and I cant have it down too long. Especially since I have to have it towed to Lethal Racing for the tune, which is a couple hours away.

So the springs can be put on the heads outside the car, the advantage to working on the engine out of the car is just the timing chain/cover/and cam.

But I figured that removing the front bumper and radiator would get me a good angle of attack on the front of the engine.

What do you think? Thanks for this thread, helping me out alot.
I'm glad you're finding the thread helpful. Pulling the engine out is certainly not necessary to do a cam swap or even a conversion. You can do it in 3 days no problem if you have all the parts and tools ready. For me it made sense to pull the engine out since I found it more difficult to remove the trans with the car on jack stands in the garage to replace the converter.

I wanted to drop the oil pan entirely in order to swap out the oil pump, tensioner and timing chain without too much trouble. You have no idea how easy it was to install the new oil pump with the oil pan off the block. My 11 year old can do it. I also felt better to replace the oil pan gasket and the only way to do it right is to lift the engine off the mounts.

Even though you don't plan on replacing the pump, you still need to remove it in order to replace the chain tensioner with an LS2 Damper. Some folks including myself replaced the pump and chain at that point for peace of mind although this is a big debate on here whether or not it's necessary.

I can tell you that working on the engine outside the car is a huge pleasure. It's also a lot easier to clean the block once everything is put back together. The decision is really yours to make. You will realize that once you remove the intake manifold, heads, headers, water pump and trans, there's not much at all left to do in order to pull the engine out. you're already there.

If you want to be 100% confident that what you're doing is right and with quality, I say pull the engine out and work on it like a gentleman as Ted puts it.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #145
1Camaro2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIN R G View Post
Great thread and congrats on your build. I am looking to someday putting a cam in also. Originally I was also thinking of doing the LS3 conversion, but there are now a lot of shops producing some great numbers with cams and keeping the VVT. Before you went with the LS3 conversion did you give any thought of keeping the VVT. If you did, do you mind me asking what your reason was you went the way you did. If I were to make a decision right now, I would keep the VVT if I knew there was a local shop that has done it and can tune it.
Sorry, just saw your thread.

Originally I was decided on a VVT-3 cam from TSP. I was so close to going that route but later decided I wanted a 3 bolt Comp cam instead. I may switch back to VVT down the road to give it a try but not until the engine is due for new valve springs. Probably in few years since I don't drive the car much. I think the VVT performs better and we shouldn't be afraid of it failing. I haven't heard of any failures yet.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #146
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Camaro2SS View Post
With so much debate over stuck oil pump or Melling, I decided to go with the Melling since it was cheap. Still not convinced its a better pump but i don't want to get into that now. I added a photo of the oil pump install using feeler gauges. Im feeling good about this one!
I know ive seen it before, was like a screenshot from an iphone/email but do you know which thread that picture is in showing the exact directions from melling on which feeler guages to use?

Or where did you find the directions?

Thanks.

Edit: finally found it, looked through 9 threads and it was the 10th one. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...24#post7106724
Old 11-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #147
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
I know ive seen it before, was like a screenshot from an iphone/email but do you know which thread that picture is in showing the exact directions from melling on which feeler guages to use?

Or where did you find the directions?

Thanks
getting ready to start yours??
Old 12-17-2017, 05:56 PM   #148
1Camaro2SS

Sold the car 2 and half years ago but saw it again recently. Considering buying it back if the stars align just right.