Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
MrAL300

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS Blue
2014 2LS a/c glitch

I've had my 2014 2LS for a month. It's my first camaro and I love it. There is one glitch with the a/c which neither the dealership nor GM can solve. I am curious if anyone else has this anomaly. Here's what happens:

When I turn on the fan, the a/c also comes on. I can turn off the a/c and then it stays off regardless of how many times I turn the fan off and on again, or how many times I turn the engine off and on again, as long as this is done within a certain time period. However, after several hours go by, the problem repeats. For example, first thing in the morning, or after work, if I turn on the fan, the a/c comes on. I can turn it off, and then if I am in a supermarket for 30 minutes and then return to the car, when I turn on the fan, the a/c does not come on. This problem only occurs after several hours have passed since the a/c was last turned off. Please note that I do ensure the a/c is off prior to turning off the fan, so the problem is not that I am leaving the a/c on by mistake.

My car spent a week at the dealer where they consulted with GM and tried the following:
1) computer update
2) replace hvac controller
3) replace radio & faceplate.
None of these solved the problem. Now, GM wants to send a field engineer to the dealership to do more testing on my car. I really don't want my brand new car to be a guinea pig, torn apart and put back together again. There is another 2014 2LS in the dealer's inventory but they would prefer to experiment on my car because they have already attempted the 3 "fixes" described above.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem, and if so, have you found a way to fix it? Is it possible that this is not a flaw, but instead something that was designed into the 2014 model?
MrAL300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
Ambush
Rawr!

Drives: Giulia Quadrifoglio, C8 Stingray
wow, that's a pain. can't say its happened to my car...yet. i'm running a 2014 2LT. Windows are always down, so I don't use the AC, but sure, knock on wood, gonna put the AC on for a few days and see.

for science!

Retired:
2018 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
2014 Crystal Red Camaro RS
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
Coloradorado

Drives: 2014 Camaro
Come to think of it, I think my 2014 1LT might do this... I just assumed I was retarded and was hitting the button when I wasn't paying attention. I just looked up the HVAC operation. It sounds like it can be used when you aren't specifically trying to cool the car, but it doesn't say anything about it coming on automatically.

Quote:

The purpose of the heating and A/C system is to provide heated and cooled air to the interior of the vehicle. The A/C system will also remove humidity from the interior and reduce windshield fogging. Regardless of the temperature setting, the following can affect the rate that the HVAC system can achieve the desired temperature:
  • Recirculation actuator setting
  • Difference between inside and desired temperature
  • Blower motor speed setting
  • Mode setting
Pressing the A/C switch enables the HVAC control module to request A/C compressor engagement and turn ON the A/C switch LED. The HVAC control module sends a message to the engine control module (ECM) for A/C compressor engagement. The ECM will provide a ground for the A/C compressor relay enabling it to close its internal contacts to send battery voltage to the A/C compressor clutch coil. The A/C compressor diode will prevent a voltage peak, resulting from the collapse of the magnetic field of the coil, from entering the vehicle electrical system when the compressor is disengaged.
Coloradorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
Coloradorado

Drives: 2014 Camaro
Quote:
Press snowflake to turn the air conditioning on or off. An indicator light turns on. If the fan is turned off or the outside temperature falls below freezing, the air conditioning will not work.

The air conditioning might automatically come on when defrost is selected.
Guess I should have read the owners manual. It is normal.
Coloradorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:29 AM   #5
MrAL300

Yes, that is correct. My manual says that too. I am referring to the a/c coming on without the use of defrost. My vent selection is the forward vents or bi-level only. The snowflake button lights up. Defrost is different. The compressor activates but the a/c (snowflake) light does not.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
MrAL300

The field engineer was not able to determine the cause or find a way to fix it. He doesn't know why it is happening but he doesn't think it should happen. He took lots of data from the computer and will send it to GM Engineering for analysis. It is interesting to note that the engineer determined that if this fan is turned on before starting the car then the a/c will not come on unless the a/c button is pressed. This is very interesting. It's not a solution but it's a work-around I can live with.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
Cruuzin LV

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
My 2012 does that and I didn't think it was an issue. I just press the A/C button if I see it come on when i turn the fan on. It is a little differernt from other cars I have owned I will admit. However my other vehicles have an A/C button that clicks in or clicks out for on and off instead of just pressing it.
Cruuzin LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:27 AM   #8
CamaroinCLE

Drives: 2014 CRT LT
not to bring up an old thread by mine does that too.. 2014 1LT Wonder how this is going to work when I autostart in the winter to clear off snow and thaw the window seals. Wonder how much trouble the window index is going to be this year.. soon to find out
CamaroinCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:00 AM   #9
Rahjeir

Drives: 2014 1LT w/RS Summit White
My 2014 LT1 does this. Always thought it was working as designed.
Rahjeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:57 PM   #10
ShadowYYZ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT Deep Magenta
Yeah mine does this too, I press the snowflake it works now.. Before it wouldn't even operate...
ShadowYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:03 PM   #11
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Noticed this old thread now that it was re-activated ...
My 2014 2SS/RS has the same exact problem OP reported, after certain time it won't remember that the A/C was last set to off - and turns A/C on when I turn the fan on. Has happened since the car was new. Will try the partial work-around OP reported in his post #6 update.
Thanks,
Ron
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:04 AM   #12
14~Cam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
I too have had the same exact problem with the a/c coming on when just the fan speed control is turned on. I have also have the computer software update, radio replaced, center control panel (radio face & controls, hvac controls, etc.) replaced, BCM replaced, and now the hvac control module replaced. I will picking up my car from the dealer this afternoon to see if this latest "fix" works or not but have not confidence that it will! Someone mentioned to me that it could possibly be the blend doors or blend door actuators causing the reset but after some research on that, it doesn't seem to be the same issue. Also have had the radio just stop completely while driving, the fan control speed has had issues where the fan speed would not activate, cruise control issues, exterior temp reading incorrectly, etc. I too would love to know if there is a fix or is this just something that will have to be dealt with as long as I want to keep my Camaro?
14~Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:55 AM   #13
chubsworth

Drives: 2014 2SS RS NPP
I've had the exact same issue since new. A/C always comes on when the fan is turned on. Does not remember that it was off before.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:37 AM   #14
Mike.Ss

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Bright Yellow
A few notes.

Read your manual.

This is normal.
If you have the fan off and turn the car on, then turn the fan on, the ac will come on (and will even be in recirc mode).

I just turn fan to low.
If I turned it off, no biggie.

2014 2SS/RS Bright Yellow
Mods: NEC5 window stickers (+10hp)
Mike.Ss is offline   Reply With Quote