Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2016 SS
Getting the subs and amp... Which speakers should I buy?

Well I am going to buy the 12" JL Stealth Box and a JL amplifier. Any suggestions on which brand of speakers I should get?
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
godfathercrc

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS
JBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Unique4U View Post
Well I am going to buy the 12" JL Stealth Box and a JL amplifier. Any suggestions on which brand of speakers I should get?
JBL BEST SOUND
godfathercrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
xxlbeerz

Drives: 2010 Black on Black
Quote:
JL?

Also, why not go with ********? Much less expensive.
xxlbeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
budget? what power are you pushing them with?

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfathercrc View Post
JBL BEST SOUND
Prove it.

Not trying to be a jackass, but in car audio, there is no best. Period. Especially in how something sounds. Your ears are different then mine, your install will be different then mine. Speakers will change with the install, input signal, type of music played. Way too many variables to make blanket statement like that.

Lots of companies make quality stuff, depending on where your budget is. That's an important bit of info, as well as planned power. Lots of recommendations can be made once those two things are known.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
XxYoung CamaroXx

Drives: white ss V8, performance upgrades
The subs dont really matter, its the box you put them in that matters. bigger the box the harder they bump. And the kenwood amp works great. Also kenwood exilon speakers are pretty good.
XxYoung CamaroXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdown View Post
budget? what power are you pushing them with?
Not trying to win a competition. I would however like the best for the money.
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
dcamarom
SoCal Family Member

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2LT/RS
Here is the setup I am going with all I need to do is order, which should be soon. I will be getting two ten inch subs.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20610C1...er-10C104.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20610ZX...10ZX300-1.html
dcamarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #9
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Quote:
Not trying to win a competition. I would however like the best for the money.
Hard to beat the Pioneer componet set list for around $600 and can be bought for less than $300...
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
Topdown
The wait is over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxYoung CamaroXx View Post
The subs dont really matter, its the box you put them in that matters. bigger the box the harder they bump. And the kenwood amp works great. Also kenwood exilon speakers are pretty good.

heheh

I have a pair of Funky Pups that beg to differ... and the bigger the box does not mean they will bump harder. Box size is determined (or should be) by the sub its self... a Dayton HO 10 likes a smaller sealed box and when put into a bigger sealed box, gets boomy, loses most of its SQ ability and dramatically lowers is power handling, which means it will reach its mechanical limits (or thermal) with less power ... and with high power will exceed those limits, which will destroy the sub.

I cant comment much on the Kenwood speakers, or the Kenwood eXcelon speakers, but I do remember the last time I used them... and its been a real long time.

as usual, I agree with mrray13 - there is no silver bullet for car audio. recommendations are always made with the caveat of "my opinion"... and made with either a mental plan or picture of what the install will look like. Whether that pans out to be the reality or not is an entirely different story.

your best bet is to listen to everything you can... the bad part is, to do it in your car is near impossible and on a sound board in a car stereo shop doesnt really tell you what you need to know. So, you ask the opinion of folks that have listened to (in some cases) hundreds of these things and who's opinion you value or trust... and go from there.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxYoung CamaroXx View Post

While I'll agree you are on the right path, you aren't exactly right either. Meaning.....

Quote:
heheh

I have a pair of Funky Pups that beg to differ... and the bigger the box does not mean they will bump harder. Box size is determined (or should be) by the sub its self... a Dayton HO 10 likes a smaller sealed box and when put into a bigger sealed box, gets boomy, loses most of its SQ ability and dramatically lowers is power handling, which means it will reach its mechanical limits (or thermal) with less power ... and with high power will exceed those limits, which will destroy the sub.

I cant comment much on the Kenwood speakers, or the Kenwood eXcelon speakers, but I do remember the last time I used them... and its been a real long time.

as usual, I agree with mrray13 - there is no silver bullet for car audio. recommendations are always made with the caveat of "my opinion"... and made with either a mental plan or picture of what the install will look like. Whether that pans out to be the reality or not is an entirely different story.

your best bet is to listen to everything you can... the bad part is, to do it in your car is near impossible and on a sound board in a car stereo shop doesnt really tell you what you need to know. So, you ask the opinion of folks that have listened to (in some cases) hundreds of these things and who's opinion you value or trust... and go from there.

I bolded a very important part. Install, the enclosure, is 90% of what a sub does, or what you hear the sub do when it does what it do. (lmao, sorry)

Like Topdown has stated above, if you put a very good sub, that Dayton for instance, in the wrong enclosure, you'll hate it. It will be boomy, or it will be flat, or it won't be loud, or it will be muddy...and it goes on and on. But put that sub in it's element, a small sealed box for the example, and it'll shine. Going low like a sub should, being responsive and quick on it's feet, and so crisp you can every note as an individual, not just as a whole.

That said, sub quality does indeed play a role. The aforementioned almight, please lower your head in respect, FunkyPup, is, regardless of it's awesome outward appearance, not a very good quality sub. Even in a, um, proper enclosure, I used a ~.25ft^3 sealed version after displacement for an 8" version, and that sub lived all of a week off just over 100wrms, never once really being turned up. The kicker? It sounded really good in that box all the way up until it died, lmao.

Speaking of the FunkyPup, I need to grab some more, lol. My only example, as I mentioned, is blown. I kept it though, because a FunkyPup is just too cool!!
Old 01-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #12
Topdown
The wait is over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
because a FunkyPup is just too cool!!

Funky Pup Demo - ROFL

and one more just for good times sake!

Funky pup - proof that not everything sold at the swap-meet is a knock off... Epic subwoofers. I have a dream of buying 60 or 70 of the 8's (about 35.00 worth lol) and filling the bed of my truck with a box and running all of them off the deck power from a 1947 Kaiser.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #13
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Quote:

Funky Pup Demo - ROFL

and one more just for good times sake!

Funky pup - proof that not everything sold at the swap-meet is a knock off... Epic subwoofers. I have a dream of buying 60 or 70 of the 8's (about 35.00 worth lol) and filling the bed of my truck with a box and running all of them off the deck power from a 1947 Kaiser.
lol do you remember the Fultron van with 56 8s it pounded!
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:55 AM   #14
Topdown
The wait is over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering View Post
lol do you remember the Fultron van with 56 8s it pounded!
Thats what I am talking about!