Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #15
djpelosi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Where did I say that it would be cheaper to go FI than NA?

Did you totally miss this?

You missed my point about being STREETABLE, and getting GOOD gas mileage, which the OP mentioned in his first post. An all out NA build isn't going to have the best street manners for someone that's wanting use this as a DD.
Well, I may have misread. You didn't actually say it would cost more, but the way you wrote it made it sound like you were implying that it would cost more. "You can achieve your goals NA, but it's going to be a max effort build with the stock cubes. That translates into $$$$."

I know a lot of people running heads/cam cars as dailys and have no problem with streetability or gas mileage. He's only looking for 540 rwhp, not 800, so what exactly makes a FI car more streetable at 540 RWHP than a heads/cam car? If it's an auto... a decent stall should pretty much take care of the streetable part. And as far as gas mileage... generally more power = less mpg no matter what you go with. I'm not arguing any points here, I'm just curious what the answers are.
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Best Time: 12.43 @ 114, 1.99 60' on stock wheels and stock tires
Build Thread

Last edited by djpelosi; 06-09-2014 at 08:22 PM.
djpelosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #16
Lost_angl13

Drives: 2012 Camaro ss silver
I'm not worried about emissions since the car is registered in Washington aand I'm keeping it that way since I'm military and wife still lives up there... All ill need is 80 horses to get to 500 I can easily spend 5 grand on it and I don't feel like super charging it since I don't want to spend 8 or 9 thousand on one and I don't think they finance them so I'm going with what seems more easier before a charger
Lost_angl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #17
Lost_angl13

And I have a 6 speed
Old 06-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #18
djpelosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_angl13 View Post
I'm not worried about emissions since the car is registered in Washington aand I'm keeping it that way since I'm military and wife still lives up there... All ill need is 80 horses to get to 500 I can easily spend 5 grand on it and I don't feel like super charging it since I don't want to spend 8 or 9 thousand on one and I don't think they finance them so I'm going with what seems more easier before a charger
You won't need 5k to get 80 more horses. You do a cam swap/port the heads and intake which is probably a little over $3000 if you have a shop do it and you'll hit 500 rwhp no problem.
Build Thread
Old 06-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #19
Lost_angl13

That's the ideas I like... what would be a good cam to go with a lot of friends tell me to get a custom grind is that a good idea and what would a custom grind be?
Old 06-09-2014, 08:22 PM   #20
djpelosi

Quote:
That's the ideas I like... what would be a good cam to go with a lot of friends tell me to get a custom grind is that a good idea and what would a custom grind be?
Custom grind means the cam is specifically cast for your goals and current/future setup. Some people choose to go this route, and some people just get an off the shelf cam that has been proven to make good power with any application. As I said before, the two I'd recommend are the 235/239 cam by TSP or the Night Fury cam by Lethal Racing. Both have tons of videos on YouTube so you can hear what they sound like, and both have great reviews on the web. With your current mods, and the suggestions posted so far, you will have no problem getting 500 RWHP. If you want any more than that without nitrous, you'll have to consider buying new heads and intake.
Build Thread
Old 06-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #21
Lost_angl13

OK thanks... I just need to find a shop in southern California who will mess with this ls3
Old 06-09-2014, 11:12 PM   #22
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Forced induction will get you better gas mileage than a CAM. It might cost more but then you are not in a car that shakes at idle. You have to remember to get a CAM to add more power you are going to get a car that shakes more. If a stick shift you are going to have to learn how to drive it without stalling it. It will also be harder on your clutch.

Forced induction can be harder on your clutch also but if you are not doing 3-4k rpm clutch drops you should be ok.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #23
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Forced induction will get you better gas mileage than a CAM. It might cost more but then you are not in a car that shakes at idle. You have to remember to get a CAM to add more power you are going to get a car that shakes more. If a stick shift you are going to have to learn how to drive it without stalling it. It will also be harder on your clutch.

Forced induction can be harder on your clutch also but if you are not doing 3-4k rpm clutch drops you should be ok.
That "car shaking at idle" part sounds yummy! Where do I sign up?
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:54 PM   #24
Lost_angl13

Would I have to change rockers? Or can I run stock? Or what internals will I have to change?
Old 06-10-2014, 12:11 AM   #25
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpelosi View Post
Well, I may have misread. You didn't actually say it would cost more, but the way you wrote it made it sound like you were implying that it would cost more. "You can achieve your goals NA, but it's going to be a max effort build with the stock cubes. That translates into $$$$."

I know a lot of people running heads/cam cars as dailys and have no problem with streetability or gas mileage. He's only looking for 540 rwhp, not 800, so what exactly makes a FI car more streetable at 540 RWHP than a heads/cam car? If it's an auto... a decent stall should pretty much take care of the streetable part. And as far as gas mileage... generally more power = less mpg no matter what you go with. I'm not arguing any points here, I'm just curious what the answers are.
ONLY 540whp on the stock bottom end? I can name ONE car that's running that much NA HP with stock cubes. It happens to belong to Rhino79 of GPI. I'd imagine that a few other shops have similar builds but I haven't seen them advertised. I'd bet there aren't more than a couple. Streetability is HIGHLY subjective. Personally, I don't think a big ass stall is considered streetable, let alone the surging and bucking, which a huge cam is going to do. Have you every driven/rode in a high HP FI car? You can EASILY have a 600+whp FI car that drives COMPLETELY like stock, until you get on it. No surging, no bucking, and no need for a massive stall, if you're not going to drag race it. When cruising and regular driving, you gas mileage will suffer very little, compared to a big ass cam.

My point about $$$ was that he won't get anywhere near his goals with the typical cam swap. He's going to need every last bolt-on, along with a huge cam, and great heads.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #26
djpelosi

Quote:
ONLY 540whp on the stock bottom end? I can name ONE car that's running that much NA HP with stock cubes. It happens to belong to Rhino79 of GPI. I'd imagine that a few other shops have similar builds but I haven't seen them advertised. I'd bet there aren't more than a couple.
Where have you been lately??? There are TONS of stock bottom end LS3s pushing way more than 540 rwhp.... a simple google search will show this to you. There's even a thread about this subject on the camaro5 forum: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273430. There are guys claiming 800+ RWHP on the stock bottom end, so I'm not sure exactly why you seem so surprised that 540 RWHP is a lot... The last post on the first page of that thread I posted is of East Coast Supercharging saying they've built 100's of stock bottom end LS1/2/3/6/7 cars with over 700 RWHP.

Quote:
Would I have to change rockers? Or can I run stock? Or what internals will I have to change?
With a good cam build, it's always a good idea to go ahead and swap out everything you can, while you can. This means the cam, oil pump, timing chain, rocker arms, pushrods, lifters and springs.
Build Thread

Last edited by djpelosi; 06-10-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #27
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpelosi View Post
There are TONS of stock bottom end LS3s pushing way more than 540 rwhp.... a simple google search will show this to you. There's even a thread about this subject on the camaro5 forum: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273430. There are guys claiming 800+ RWHP on the stock bottom end, so I'm not sure exactly why you seem so surprised that 540 RWHP is a lot... The last post on the first page of that thread I posted is of East Coast Supercharging saying they've built 100's of stock bottom end LS3's with over 700 RWHP.
Dude, can you not read? ALL of those cars are FI cars. Show me that list of 540+whp NATURALLY ASPIRATED CARS. The OP is wanting that much HP naturally aspirated.

Quote:
And could it be possible to achieve that much horsepower with a cam?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:27 AM   #28
djpelosi

Quote:
Dude, can you not read? ALL of those cars are FI cars. Show me that list of 540+whp NATURALLY ASPIRATED CARS. The OP is wanting that much HP naturally aspirated.
I know what the OP is wanting and this has nothing to do with that. This is simply in regards to your "540rwhp on stock bottom end" comment. My point is: regardless of whether or not a motor is NA or FI, 540+ RWHP on the stock bottom end on these LS motors are happening everywhere and it's not uncommon. Those other cars being supercharged on the stock bottom end making 800+ rwhp are even more stress on the motors than a heads/cam package and yet they are still holding up. Who cares if the others are supercharged? Horsepower on the stock bottom end is horsepower on the stock bottom end whether you're supercharged or not.
Build Thread