Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-31-2011, 05:29 PM   #127
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
I just had it re tuned down to 650 rwhp down from 732 rwhp for exactly that reason. I wanted more streetablility and to keep the tranny, driveshaft and rear end in place until I can upgrade those components. At this level it drives just like a stock SS until I stick my foot in it and then there is no mistake that the torque and HP throw it forward with unmistakable vigor. My milage on our last rally which was from Denver to South Park (where cartman is from) up and over Hooser pass elevation 12,000 ft down thru Breckenridge and back up and over Loveland Pass elevation 12,000 ft and back to Denver. 242 miles round trip and averaged 22.5 miles per gallon. On flat land trips I am averaging 26 MPG. Now keep in mind 650 RWHP=750 Crank HP. There is no way to mimmick the magnetic suspension and that is clearly a nice upgrade and no one will be competing with that on the street. Can a aftermarket suspension be better? In terms of performance I think so but not in terms of overall streetable and quiet performance.
2010 SS, I am very impressed with your MPG. I have driven Loveland Pass going from Denver to Aspen in the past. I will be curious to see how the mileage from the ZL1 compares to yours. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #128
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
not to be a "troll" but the "only" way ya can justify this "rocket ship"
is to ship it to germany ,and run it on the ''autobahn" heh! heh! heh!
hey! looks sweet though!..very photogenic!..just sayin'
SW Texas and some other states has less crowded roads than the kraut interstate...no flames here ok as I am german..
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:15 PM   #129
mad_cat
Mad Cat

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
I bought my 2011 2SS/RS just last month.. but I'm DEFINITELY trading up when this one comes out!
mad_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:18 PM   #130
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by L36L72LS3 View Post
I will be selling my 2011 2SSRS 6M in Rally Yellow ((no stripes)) with just 700 miles to get one of these. I love the '11. but a ZL1 to match my 69 SS427 will be the TITS to have it.
Is the 69 a COPO?

I passed on such in '69 as at 6-3 I did not fit in the 69 Camaros and FBs..got a 69 ram air GTO instead..

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...istory-1.shtml
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:51 AM   #131
camero

Drives: IOM V6 RS 38808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
SW Texas and some other states has less crowded roads than the kraut interstate...no flames here ok as I am german..
I agree! I drove in Germany last month and there's never one moment where you can just drive without running up against the back of some slower car or having some faster car run up on you. There's no possible speed where both things are not happening at all times... just like on a crowded American freeway but ten times worse because the differences in speed between cars is 90kph instead of 20mph. I'm originally from out west and you can "haul donkeys" all you want in the open desert.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:53 AM   #132
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
Here is a fair comparison of what the ZL1 should easily achieve with a few tweaks. This gentleman is currently sitting at #14 on the 1/4 mi official fast list. Not shabby!

Robin Lawrence
Built 4L80E
GM Crate LSA, Supercharger/TVS 1900, Heads/Cam, LT, Exhaust, Converter, 18'' DRs
10.822 @ 127.33 MPH
BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #133
REAPER SS

Drives: 2010 CAMARO BLK 2SS/L99
That ZL1 is going to be a beast. Just cant swing the orice right now, maybe a used one in the future.
REAPER SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #134
REAPER SS

Drives: 2010 CAMARO BLK 2SS/L99
should have been price....spell check
REAPER SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #135
Bowtie Guy Z28

Drives: 98' Z28 08 CC Z71 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
I just had it re tuned down to 650 rwhp down from 732 rwhp for exactly that reason. I wanted more streetablility and to keep the tranny, driveshaft and rear end in place until I can upgrade those components. At this level it drives just like a stock SS until I stick my foot in it and then there is no mistake that the torque and HP throw it forward with unmistakable vigor. My milage on our last rally which was from Denver to South Park (where cartman is from) up and over Hooser pass elevation 12,000 ft down thru Breckenridge and back up and over Loveland Pass elevation 12,000 ft and back to Denver. 242 miles round trip and averaged 22.5 miles per gallon. On flat land trips I am averaging 26 MPG. Now keep in mind 650 RWHP=750 Crank HP. There is no way to mimmick the magnetic suspension and that is clearly a nice upgrade and no one will be competing with that on the street. Can a aftermarket suspension be better? In terms of performance I think so but not in terms of overall streetable and quiet performance.
What the deuce Larry! How the hell did you manage that good of mileage? Mine was 19.5 and you know it's bone stock! Glad you are doing a lot better than your 6 or 9 that you were getting before. Looking forward to the Wyoming trip buddy!

The "Z": BBK Intake, 85 MM Power TB, Smooth Bellow, SLP Lid, K&N, SLP Panhard, Strut Tower Brace, Spec Stage 2+ Racing Clutch, MSD Wires, Performance Exhaust
Bowtie Guy Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #136
jeffs2011ss

Drives: 2011ss rally yellow
im rolling change and selling a kid on ebay right now.that car is mine
jeffs2011ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #137
MrDew

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #165
Quote:
Originally Posted by camero View Post
I agree! I drove in Germany last month and there's never one moment where you can just drive without running up against the back of some slower car or having some faster car run up on you. There's no possible speed where both things are not happening at all times... just like on a crowded American freeway but ten times worse because the differences in speed between cars is 90kph instead of 20mph. I'm originally from out west and you can "haul donkeys" all you want in the open desert.
That's why you go there very early in the morning on weekends... During the day there are too many cars and 18-wheelers. With most Highways only having 2 maybe 3 lanes it's just too crowded otherwise... But it's fun either way!
MrDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:46 AM   #138
1BADZL1
THE CAMARO KING

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 on order #PZSD7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs2011ss View Post
im rolling change and selling a kid on ebay right now.that car is mine
I heard that! Ain't it the truth?....Dec/Jan can't get here fast enough
1000 Initial Order 11/11/2011 Chevyland
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 11/11/2011 - PZSD7S
2000 Order accepted by GM: 12/14/2011
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 00/00/2011 - TPW 00/00/2011
3100 Sequenced: 00/00/2011
3300 Scheduled For Production:0/0/2012
3400 Broadcast: 0/0/2012
3800 Produced: 0/0/2012
4000 Available To Ship: 0/0/2012
4200 Shipped: 0/0/2012
5000 Delivered To The Dealer: 0/0/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer:0/0/2012
1BADZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:07 AM   #139
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
I think another side benefit of ZL1 coming along are the components that someone might be able to bolt-up to their SS. A hardened tranny, driveshaft, differential, and axle shafts could be quite reasonably priced swaps I imagine. Considering how much aftermarket equivalents cost (though I'm sure they won't have the ultimate strength of these components either), how many people are really going to push those to their edge anyway. Just seeing the size of the rear pumpkin on ZL1 a couple months ago just makes me think they're going to be stout, and adding a differential girdle or something of the like would make them very worthy swaps. You'll have more choices when it comes time to upgrade the rest of your powertrain to match that power you had to dial back a little. JMHO. Sorry to off track a little.

I do want to say that that MPG is quite outstanding considering your mods'. I'm sure your driving technique contributes to those numbers, but it looks like your tuner deserves some kudos for excellent tuning.

I sense a fair amount of animosity on this subject. Maybe it's because I'm looking for it or something. I'm not talking about anyone specifically, but just noticing people coming over to this Section and talking about mod'd SSs stomping all over ZL1 is almost like the Mustang guys coming over to talk about how their GTs and 500s dominate our beloved cars. And I'm not trying to imply that no one other than ZL1-people come in or post in here; not at all. Just debating a mod'd car vs a stock car doesn't make too much sense. If we go that way, then I want to ask comparing the value of a mod'd car vs a stock car.

Anyways - I'm sorry for going off topic a little. I have to admit it starts to get a little frustrating see some people try to justify what their doing in what sometimes seems like an effort to deminish others enthusiasm for this car. I'm probably just being a baby or something. Carry on, and let's remember what's important: We have other cars to beat up on out there j/k

/rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY68RS View Post
I heard that! Ain't it the truth?....Dec/Jan can't get here fast enough
I can't wait for you guys to start getting your cars. I'm going to be bugging all of you for many pictures

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #140
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I sense a fair amount of animosity on this subject. Maybe it's because I'm looking for it or something. I'm not talking about anyone specifically, but just noticing people coming over to this Section and talking about mod'd SSs stomping all over ZL1 is almost like the Mustang guys coming over to talk about how their GTs and 500s dominate our beloved cars. And I'm not trying to imply that no one other than ZL1-people come in or post in here; not at all. Just debating a mod'd car vs a stock car doesn't make too much sense. If we go that way, then I want to ask comparing the value of a mod'd car vs a stock car.

Anyways - I'm sorry for going off topic a little. I have to admit it starts to get a little frustrating see some people try to justify what their doing in what sometimes seems like an effort to diminish others enthusiasm for this car.

Exactly. I have noticed the same animosity fairly often also.

I think most of us understand that given enough money and effort one can build a modified vehicle that outperforms a stock factory vehicle. We don't need to be told or reminded of that constantly over and over again, which some people appear to have the need to do repetitively, possibly because they feel the need to justify the money and effort they've spent to others, or maybe because, for one reason or another, they've convinced themselves they don't like the ZL1.

Regardless, some people will want to have "the bitchinest car in the valley" and will modify their vehicles to try to achieve that goal. I think that's great. Others aren't as interested being "number one" or in major modifications, and prefer to keep their factory high performance vehicles close to stock, which is great too. I always enjoy looking at muscle cars from different eras that are as they were when they left the showroom floor, as a document of a bit of Americana of their era.

I'll keep my ZL1 in stock condition. I won't be the fastest out there, but it will fast enough for me, and I'll enjoy many pleasurable sunny hours of driving it.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote