Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 01-16-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
camarofreak1989
Mustang Killer

Drives: 1995 camaro V6 stock
Need more help once again

This place, along with moderncamaro.com, always seems to have such intelligent users that I trust most of you whole heartedly with the help you all provide me with, so I've come once again to try and get some help. Here's the problem:

Hey everyone. Got another issue I would really like some help with. My fourth gen, 3.4 L V-6, has had some overheating issues. I took it to my mechanic and he said it might be an issue with radiator. Turns out the people I had bought the car from had a radiator leak and used, what I'm guessing, Bars stop leak in it to try and fix it. He replaced the radiator and flushed the cooling system. I went and got my car today and it ran no problems, no overheating. I was driving it for a little while, when out of the blue, it began to overheat again. The service engine soon light even went off. I parked it and let it rest for a little while and when I restarted it the light was off and it didnt overheat until about 20 minutes later. Any ideas.

I was told there was some residual air left in the system, and a poster on the other site said it might work if I purged the system. I am going to try this tomorrow morning. How will I know if all the air is out of the system, and is there anything else I should try if this does not resolve the situation? I just laid out $200 to install a new radiator and flush the system, and as a student who just had to pay for a funeral, I really would like to fix the situation myself. I do not belive, or hope, that it is the engine. It still runs really well, even when it shows it is overheating.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:32 AM   #2
VASCAR2

Drives: 94 Camaro, 10 1LT IBM Camaro
I've got a 94 3.4 V6 and I'd said there is air in the cooling system. Sounds like the car is vapor locking in the cooling system. Some of the newer cars have a bleed valve up near the thermostat. You back this screw out with the car running. On cars without the bleeder valve I've had to start the car cold with the radiator cap off and as the car warms up watch the coolant level. The level will drop when the thermostat opens and the coolant starts circulating. The car will usually belch fluid out while its warm but once its finished belching you can had coolant. When the coolant level seems constant (not belching) and at the top of the radiator you can secure the cap. For the price of a new radiator cap I'd recommend buying a new one. I noticed my Camaro wasn't regulating the temperature. I bought a new radiator cap for about 6 bucks and it seems to be better. I'm not sure if the owners manual talks about flushing the coolant system and the bleeder valve. Some manuals do and some don't. If the car is not running at the proper temperature it will kill your gas mileage. I also replaced the fuel cap on my Camaro which still had the original fuel cap. I noticed improvements on starting and gas mileage when I replaced the original fuel cap. ON older cars things just don't last forever and may be worth replacing.

VASCAR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
fbodyauto

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 2LS
is your car leaking any coolant? even if you dont notice any leaking, did you check your radiator to make sure its full and so is the water resivior (mispelled i know)
Old 01-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
Bismarck318

Drives: '94 Base... Grounded due to E-Check
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASCAR2 View Post
Some of the newer cars have a bleed valve up near the thermostat. You back this screw out with the car running.
Actually nothing that new, The ex had a late '80's Renault with this setup (French designed).

Symptoms sounds right, I had a problem with this car once when the fan sensor went out, could never really completely fill the car up with water to get it home, as I was not bleeding the valves as I was unaware how this system worked.

My Saturn has a totally sealed system without a radiator cap, if something goes wrong with that I'm screwed.... dealer friendly, consumer not friendly. :(
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Go over the basics. Is the air damn still on the bottom of the car. Take the radiator cap off (while cool) and start the car. Let it warm up and observe for coolant flow. Then you can check for the fan to kick on. One of those 3 things should lead to your problem.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote