Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
xero755

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black on Black
Strut bar that clears the 2.9L Whipple

Does such an animal exist?
xero755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Why do you feel you need one?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
pete i can answer that one, because other companies make one to they feel they need one they didnt read your article about the magnificant design of the camaro structure
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
xero755

I guess ask a simple question get a simple answer is lost these days....
Old 02-16-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
xero what pete and i are trying to say is you dont need one
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
Snake Slayer

Drives: Awaiting 2014 C7
Hi Pete,

Not trying to be a smart A$$ here but why is GM including the strut bars on the ZL-1 and CTS-V. I think I know the answer but would love to get your take. I do agree that the 5 gen is light years ahead of 4th gen cars in terms of chassis

Last edited by Snake Slayer; 02-16-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Snake Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Slayer View Post
Hi Pete,

Not trying to be a smart A$$ here by why is GM including the strut bars on the ZL-1 and CTS-V. I think I know the answer but would love to get your take. I do agree that the 5 gen is light years ahead of 4th gen cars in terms of chassis
Sales Sizzle? They look cool? They created one for the Vert and could use it on the new model? It wasn't installed for speed.

We know we run lao times faster than race car running slicks while we run street tires. We know we are running close to Vette T1 times. The limitations on our performance are tires and weight. Not a single test driver of mine has run our 5th Gen and asked for chassis stiffners or stronger arms.

We could get into a discussion on triangulation, roll cages, structual gains and how they relate to performance, but that would only apply in extreme racing conditions with a lightened chassis. The Last thing the 5th Gen needs is more weight on the street or the track.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
xero755

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro4mybday View Post
xero what pete and i are trying to say is you dont need one
I understand completely what you are trying to tell me. Need has nothing to do with the question that I asked. I don't NEED a supercharger, or a Camaro for that matter.

I would, however, LIKE an answer to the original question that I asked if someone is aware of such a part either in development or production. I have used the search function and as well as a few vendor sites looking for a strut bar that was compatable with the Whipple 2.9L SC. I see that a maggie compatable version has been released, but no Whipple. I figured that I would ask the question in the appropriate place.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by xero755 View Post
I understand completely what you are trying to tell me. Need has nothing to do with the question that I asked. I don't NEED a supercharger, or a Camaro for that matter.

I would, however, LIKE an answer to the original question that I asked if someone is aware of such a part either in development or production. I have used the search function and as well as a few vendor sites looking for a strut bar that was compatable with the Whipple 2.9L SC. I see that a maggie compatable version has been released, but no Whipple. I figured that I would ask the question in the appropriate place.
My guess is no as the Whipple is a bit taller and that no vendor has stepped in to say it will fit.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xero755 View Post

I would, however, LIKE an answer to the original question that I asked if someone is aware of such a part either in development or production.
Exactly! I'm glad someone else finally said something. Nobody "needs" any aftermarket parts for their Camaro, they "want" them. You don't "need" a 2.9L Whipple either, you want it. This has gone way past just educating the public. We all know the Camaro is a very rigid platform to start with, we also know it comes stock with plenty of power to get you in trouble. People still want more power regardless, why can't they also want more rigidity?

xero755, it looks like Hotchkis makes a brace that clears the Whipple and our Magnuson/Whipple brace due out late Spring will clear as well...
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1243
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR guy View Post
People still want more power regardless, why can't they also want more rigidity?
In a word, weight, especially in a 5th Gen that already has a blower.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
xero755

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR guy View Post
Exactly! I'm glad someone else finally said something. Nobody "needs" any aftermarket parts for their Camaro, they "want" them. You don't "need" a 2.9L Whipple either, you want it. This has gone way past just educating the public. We all know the Camaro is a very rigid platform to start with, we also know it comes stock with plenty of power to get you in trouble. People still want more power regardless, why can't they also want more rigidity?

xero755, it looks like Hotchkis makes a brace that clears the Whipple and our Magnuson/Whipple brace due out late Spring will clear as well...
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1243
Thank you for the response. I'll just wait around until there are more options.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #13
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Hendrix-Engineering

We are finishing a new desighn up on the GTO that will clear the blower.We will be starting on the Camaro next and will make a bar to clear the blower.
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #14
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
In a word, weight, especially in a 5th Gen that already has a blower.
I agree. Why add cost and weight when you dont need to. You are better off putting that money into bushings, sway bars, coilovers, springs, etc.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote