Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 03-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #15
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
The labor will depend on the hourly rate of your dealer. The dealer I go to charges $92/hour.

techsupport, you ARE the man!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #16
techsupport

Drives: 1ss, heritage grille cfh perf. mods
Im sorry to say i dont have the answer for that one. i actually work at a gm dealer so i got the parts at cost and all i had to pay for was the 50 dollar techline fee since i work in service dept i didnt have to pay for install and program fee. normally we charge half an hour for programming so whatever the labor rate is in your area plus the parts and $50 fee for special program again sorry but i dont know how much it will cost total
Old 03-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #17
techsupport

if you want i can get with the parts guy and see what the switch and harness would cost normally together but i dont know on the labor. just dont let them get you on the fee for vci program it is only $50 from gm and then what they charge to install in your car
Old 03-27-2010, 07:21 AM   #18
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
if you wouldn't mind getting the pricing from the parts guy on the switch and the harness that would rock... I can do the install itself so really just have to worry about paying for the parts and the reprogram. Thanks very much techsupport. People like you is why this community kicks ass.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:27 AM   #19
ShadoChaser
Gamer & Ghosthunter!

Drives: 2010 GCN 2SS/RS L99
Thanks for all the info TechSupport, I think I'm gonna change the wheel myself, do you know what size Torx drive I will need to remove my steering wheel bolt? The Manual tells me what the Torgue spec is, but not the size.

Edit: I found out the size of the Torx Drive is T45. Changed it myself, now to get it activated.

Last edited by ShadoChaser; 03-27-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Updated Info
ShadoChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:31 AM   #20
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Well I answered my own question... gmpartsdirect.com breaks it down like this

switch: 92219336 $25.45
harness (auto w/paddle shift): 92236307 $31.10
harness (manual): 92236309 $38.92

It would be interesting to see what the parts guy at the dealership would want for them to see the markup. I was at my dealership yesterday and my sales guy, Patrick, called over and checked for me to see how much some splash guards would be and the lowest, with Patrick's employee discount was $170. They're $145 on gmpartsdirect. There's always some markup. I can't imagine it being too bad on the switch and the harness but, who knows. Capitalism at it's finest.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #21
Jarhead
Semper Fi Camaro

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Aqua Blue LS3 Gauge PKG
Great news Techsupport, YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!! I think I will be doing this mod very soon myself.

I'd like to ask a question concerning any impacts to the warranty. Does this affect our warranty in anyway?

I ask this because I was advised by my local dealer that changes to the BCM programming can/will void the warranty "in total" because it modifys the build sheet.

I'm not trying to start a debate or dampen this great acheivement. I'm just wanting to know what, if any, impacts this may cause. If we are charged the fee for reprogramming, does this mean that it is supported under the warranty??

Techsupport, can you look into this for us and advise on how GM support views this mod??? Please..
Old 03-27-2010, 08:12 AM   #22
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Just dropped about $400 at gmpartsdirect. Ordered the PDIM, splash guards, and the steering wheel switch and harness. Now here's to hoping the dealership won't assrape me on updating the radio and BCM. I figure getting it all done at once would be the smart move. Now, on to today's projects. Installing a CAI and stripping the wax off and Zainoing it. I'll post back in this thread once I get everything installed and software updated. I bet gmpartsdirect is going to have an influx of orders now that techsupport has gotten this to work. Way to go buddy.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #23
techsupport

as far as warranty goes the dealerships usually say it will block warranty for one of two reasons. one they have no idea to do what you are asking and two an aftermarket program will change warranty. Here is the beautiful thing about this the parts and program are gm. they cant say you messed up the bcm by installing their program. when the techline programs your car they write a new program to your vin. if and when you had a bcm go bad and got it replaced at any gm dealer when they went to replace and reprogram there wouldnt be an issue because it would reprogram for steering wheel controls without them doing anything it will already be part of your cars program from now on. with the bulletin i posted gm is admitting to letting you install this program. the reason warranty will not cover it and you have to pay for the program is because it is basically an accessory like a set of running boards on a truck or adding heated seat package supported by gm. you still have to pay for them and the install because there is nothing wrong with your vehicle. warranty issues are only covered if there is a defect or something wrong with your vehicle. the only thing wrong is that gm didnt offer this in the 1ss to begin with. hope that clears it up for you.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #24
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
damn thata awesome
mydreamcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #25
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Badass! Bookmarking this one, as she really wants the cloth seats, but I can't live without the gauge cluster and the sw audio controls- makes the steering wheel look balanced. Great write up! Thanks for posting!

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #26
AdnanHfuda

Drives: none :(
i dont get why they dont just have everything already presintalled in all trims of the camaros so that all you have to do is install hardware and poof it works! or just get rid of the idea of trims alltogether, have just "camaro" and a bunch of seperate options for the buyer to pick from. i think that would get better customer satisfaction and hence more sales.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #27
sparaz
867-5309

Drives: 2010 CMG RS & 86 black Z28 3rd gen
You people are mechanical geniuses when it comes to tinkering with things. I'm scared as hell to take things apart and intimidated by engines. I need to be brave like you. Can someone please clarify for me, does the lower model vehicles not come with a phone button configured?
sparaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #28
SSinthedesert

Drives: 2010 Imperial Blue SS
Awesome work!! I wonder if some of the 2SS guys are kickin themselves after seeing some of these DIYs to make the 1SS the same as their 2SS for alot cheaper.
SSinthedesert is offline   Reply With Quote