Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Alignment Help Thread

We are excited to see that many Camaro5 enthusiasts have now installed performance coil springs and handling packages.

We've noticed quite a few threads with questions about height and alignment for our products and others. We've put together a list of our testing numbers and experiences in order to help answer some of the more commonly asked questions. We are using numbers and images from our R&D and testing on customer cars. Due to the numerous Camaros we have modified and tested, we have built a nice data base of chassis variances and build tolerances. The bottom line is, the car is built with very tight tolerances. When compared to the earlier Camaros, the 5th gen is in a whole new league for fit and finish.

Perhaps some of the other shops and vendors can post their alignment advice as well, and this thread can be useful when speaking with alignment shops and dealerships. We want you to have the best experience possible with Hotchkis, from install to racetrack. If you find you have a question that isn't answered above, PM or call us. We want your input.

Our quick facts:

· With stock and our sport coils we have seen minute ride height variances, with most cars at or under 1/16” and only one with a corner measurement variance of 1/8”

· Even after 1000’s of punishing street and track miles we have not seen our sport coils settle. We design our coil springs to be low stressed and spec high tensile excellent quality steel to eliminate any possibility of material fatigue. Our coils are preset during manufacturing, compressed to coil bind to ensure proper load height, shot peened to relieve material stress and most important, are made in the USA.

· Below is a picture of the slotted strut mount standard on all Camaros. A good amount of camber adjustment is available without grinding or alignment hole modifications.

· So far we have not found it necessary to grind out any alignment holes to achieve a proper street/track performance alignment.

Alignment specs for the 2010 Camaro SS:

STOCK SPECIFICATIONS-STOCK SPRINGS

FRONT:

· CAMBER: 0° to -1.6°

· CASTER 6.70° - 7.10°

· TOE: 0 TO 1/8” TOTAL TOE IN

REAR:

· CAMBER: 0° to -1.0°

· TOE: 0 TO 1/8” TOTAL TOE IN

MEASUREMENT MINIMUMS & MAXIMUMS FOR HOTCHKIS SPORT COIL EQUIPPED VEHICLES

NOTE
These are not our recommended alignment specs. They represent the alignment range possible with our sport coils installed.

Note that increased neg. camber of the lowered car is beneficial to performance handling.

FRONT:

· CAMBER: -0.4° to -2.6°

REAR:

· CAMBER: -0.7° to -1.8°

HOTCHKIS PERFORMANCE STREET SETUP

FRONT:

· CAMBER: -1° to -1.4°

· CASTER 7.00° - 7.50°

· TOE: 1/16” TOTAL TOE IN

REAR:

· CAMBER: -0.8°

· TOE: 1/16” to 1/8” TOTAL TOE IN

HOTCHKIS TRACK DAY/STREET SETUP

FRONT:

· CAMBER: -2.0° to - 2.5°

· CASTER 7.00° - 7.50°

· TOE: 0 to 1/16” TOTAL TOE IN

REAR:

· CAMBER: -1.0° to - 1.25°

· TOE: 1/16” to 1/8” TOTAL TOE IN

We determined our recommended alignment settings through street and track testing using the stock Pirelli tires. These settings are a great place to start, offering acceptable tire wear and grip in a variety of performance driving conditions. Driving styles, track condition, tire selection, tire pressure and most importantly tire temperatures across the face of the tire are the determining factors of final alignment settings.
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Pedders Camaro/G8 Bushing Timing Tech Sheet.pdf
Pedders Camaro/G8 Alignment Tech Sheet.pdf

We have based our align specs for street and track based on professional drivers using telemetry equipment, tire temp monitoring, and recommendations from 3 professional drivers, including Paul Tracy.

The following Aggressive Street settings are recommended based on an average drop of 1 inch:

Front:

Camber to -1.0 degrees
caster 7.4 to 7.8 degrees (requires adding caster Pedders Caster eccentrics to get into this range of caster, which is very benificial
Toe: .1 degrees toe out each wheel.

This amount of toe out will reduce tire scrub and understeer, and will not add to tire wear.

Rear

Camber to -.5 degrees. Reducing the camber to this level will reduce understeer. With a 1 inch drop or lower, you cannot obtain this number without Pedders rear camber eccentrics

Toe to .05 degrees toe in each wheel.

For Aggressive Track

Now these settings are only for a Camaro with a Complete Pedders Track suspension Package. This setup with street performance tires can hit 1.38g's thru the turns, and have great tire temps all across. Paul Tracy said this setup was "PERFECT"

Front

Cambers to -2.4 degrees
Caster 7.5 to 8.0. Requires Pedders Caster eccentrics
Toe .25 degees toe out each wheel. (This setting should not be used for the street)

Rear
Camber -1.2 degrees, Required Pedders rear eccentrics
Toe .05 toe in each wheel.

Here is a video of the Pedders Camaro with these settings, driven by Paul Tracy. Notice the Pedders Camaro being chased by a ZR1, which could not go the same line as the Pedders Camaro.

Here is a video from Chris Fessler, our dealer and sponsor:
http://vimeo.com/8678971

Any questions just ask

thanks
mike
dms

Last edited by Info@PeddersUSA.com; 10-14-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Thanks Guys..

This stuff is great !!!
Old 03-20-2010, 05:30 AM   #4
eblake98

Drives: 2010 Black
Which settings?

Street Alignment:
Front:
· Camber: -1° to -1.25°
· Toe: 1/16” Total TOE IN

Rear:
· Camber: -1° to -1.25°
· Toe: 3/16” to Ό” Total TOE IN

Thanks,
Mark Rossetti
Brand Manager

Hotchkis Sport Suspension
562-907-7757 xt 225
Fax : 562-907-7765

Do I use the above or what what was just posted? Also were the bump stops trimmed?

eblake98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
sticky! Great info
Old 03-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
kga10734
Don't Feed the Troll

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS & 1999 Corvette
I vote STICKY this thread, that way others don't have to go hunt this info down like I did. My alignment guy was able to get both my front and rear camber to -1.0 degrees without any suspension modifications or special bolts, and I have a 2 1/8" drop on front and 2" drop on the rear.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kga10734 View Post
I vote STICKY this thread, that way others don't have to go hunt this info down like I did. My alignment guy was able to get both my front and rear camber to -1.0 degrees without any suspension modifications or special bolts, and I have a 2 1/8" drop on front and 2" drop on the rear.
If you are -1.0 degrees front and rear, you are not set up for max abilities.

Having the ability to add 1 to 1.25 degrees positive caster is a big deal. Having the rear cambers to complement the front cambers is again a big deal. But if you are happy with your setup, that is a big deal as well.

thanks
mike
dms
Old 03-20-2010, 07:20 PM   #8
kga10734
Don't Feed the Troll

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS & 1999 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
If you are -1.0 degrees front and rear, you are not set up for max abilities.

Having the ability to add 1 to 1.25 degrees positive caster is a big deal. Having the rear cambers to complement the front cambers is again a big deal. But if you are happy with your setup, that is a big deal as well.

thanks
mike
dms
He was able to get my front Caster set to around 7.5 to 7.7 if I remember correctly. I'm going to drive it like this for a while and see how things work out. Then I'll take it back down and get everything checked again in a few months.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:59 PM   #9
1BadaSS

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by kga10734 View Post
He was able to get my front Caster set to around 7.5 to 7.7 if I remember correctly. I'm going to drive it like this for a while and see how things work out. Then I'll take it back down and get everything checked again in a few months.
Where did you get yours aligned at?
Old 03-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #10
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Hey everyone! This is a great idea to get a thread together with everyone's recommendations. Below is an image of a downloadable PDF on our website, with our recommendations for various alignment settings according to end-use. Please let us know if you have any questions at all!

Here is a link to the PDF: Alignment Settings

Last edited by PfadtRacing; 07-06-2010 at 11:07 AM.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #11
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Ok...I have a question on the alignment. I have a set of Hotchkis springs on the way and should be installing them shortly after I get them. I don't know all that much about Camber/Caster/Toe etc. so bare with my wording if it's not correct.

This is my daily driver and I won't really be going to the track.....maybe once or twice if at all. I would like it to handle nicely but not necessarily at the cost of eating up my tires prematurely.

If I remember reading correctly others have said that a -.05 was the most they could get out of the way the factory had the car setup. Looking at everyones recommendation for a Performance Street setup you are recommending more than that.

So, should I just have them set my alignment to the factory settings and/or have them get as close to the Peformance Street settings as possible or is there some other settings you would recommned for someone in my driving situation?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #12
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Ok...I have a question on the alignment. I have a set of Hotchkis springs on the way and should be installing them shortly after I get them. I don't know all that much about Camber/Caster/Toe etc. so bare with my wording if it's not correct.

This is my daily driver and I won't really be going to the track.....maybe once or twice if at all. I would like it to handle nicely but not necessarily at the cost of eating up my tires prematurely.

If I remember reading correctly others have said that a -.05 was the most they could get out of the way the factory had the car setup. Looking at everyones recommendation for a Performance Street setup you are recommending more than that.

So, should I just have them set my alignment to the factory settings and/or have them get as close to the Peformance Street settings as possible or is there some other settings you would recommned for someone in my driving situation?
You have ample adjustability of from camber at any height

You currently do not have any caster adjustability. But caster can be increased and made adjustable with our Pedders front Adjuster kit

When dropping your rear, negative camber can significantly increase. Excess negative camber in the back end increases understeer. Thru telemetry, we have determined your vehicle will handle better at -.5 degrees rather than -1.0 degrees. I have yet to see a Camaro able to get to -.5 degrees camber at the rear with OE eccentrics. Do I think it is possible? Yes. There are potential tolerance issues that may allow one to be able to get this low. But that would be the exception, rather than the rule. Pedders Rear Alignment Kit

thanks,
mike
dms
Old 04-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
You have ample adjustability of from camber at any height

You currently do not have any caster adjustability. But caster can be increased and made adjustable with our Pedders front Adjuster kit

When dropping your rear, negative camber can significantly increase. Excess negative camber in the back end increases understeer. Thru telemetry, we have determined your vehicle will handle better at -.5 degrees rather than -1.0 degrees. I have yet to see a Camaro able to get to -.5 degrees camber at the rear with OE eccentrics. Do I think it is possible? Yes. There are potential tolerance issues that may allow one to be able to get this low. But that would be the exception, rather than the rule. Pedders Rear Alignment Kit

thanks,
mike
dms
Man.....don't really want to spend onther $200+ right now if I don't have to. What would your suggestion be if I didn't go with an alignment kit for now?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:09 PM   #14
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Man.....don't really want to spend onther $200+ right now if I don't have to. What would your suggestion be if I didn't go with an alignment kit for now?
I totally understand!

This is what I would do:

Front.
Camber to -1.0 each
toe to .1 degrees toe out each wheel

Rear
Camber, get the least amount of negative Camber as possible
Toe, toe in .05 degrees each wheel

Hope this helps and drive safe.

mike
dms