Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 04-30-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
skirush

Drives: 2013 1LS
Finished Hurst Shifter Install. Thanks to all those who helped!

I just wanted to say THANKS to all those guys who helped with the questions I had during my Hurst shifter install. I really don't think I would have been able to finish the job without your help. And, Hurst was absolutely no help at all. I would have had better results talking to a 3rd grader about installing the shifter.

It was a bit a of PITA and the instructions really suck for those of us who have V6 camaros. It took me a lot longer than I expected it to. If I did it again it would probably go quicker. To make matters worse, I lost one of the retainer clips right in the beginning when I was taking the old one out. I had to order a new one from Chevy and wait for it to come in. Since I couldn't drive my car, I had to rent a car for 2 days just to get to work. That was a waste of $80. I definitely recommend using a lift instead of jack stands. I was able to do it with jack stands, but having the car of the lift might have allowed for better angles and better access.

I must have been so excited to finish that I also forgot to install the anti-noise and vibration kit that came with it. Oh well...I'm not going under that car to do this again...

Now the good part; Man, what a big difference! I'm glad I went through the hassle. So much nicer to drive compared to the stock shifter. Love it.

Last edited by skirush; 04-30-2014 at 11:19 PM.
skirush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #2
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Great to hear!
Old 05-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
Grizley

Drives: 2010 2ss rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by skirush View Post
I just wanted to say THANKS to all those guys who helped with the questions I had during my Hurst shifter install. I really don't think I would have been able to finish the job without your help. And, Hurst was absolutely no help at all. I would have had better results talking to a 3rd grader about installing the shifter.

It was a bit a of PITA and the instructions really suck for those of us who have V6 camaros. It took me a lot longer than I expected it to. If I did it again it would probably go quicker. To make matters worse, I lost one of the retainer clips right in the beginning when I was taking the old one out. I had to order a new one from Chevy and wait for it to come in. Since I couldn't drive my car, I had to rent a car for 2 days just to get to work. That was a waste of $80. I definitely recommend using a lift instead of jack stands. I was able to do it with jack stands, but having the car of the lift might have allowed for better angles and better access.

I must have been so excited to finish that I also forgot to install the anti-noise and vibration kit that came with it. Oh well...I'm not going under that car to do this again...

Now the good part; Man, what a big difference! I'm glad I went through the hassle. So much nicer to drive compared to the stock shifter. Love it.

Haha. I did the same thing with the anti-vibration kit. Realized it after I took it for a spin and could hear the rattle. Gotta get under there and get that on but like you I was like F#$% that, I'll get it another time.

Congrats on the successful install op
Grizley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I just installed mine today and did not use the anti vibration kit an I have no vibration and I have the V8
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
DragRacerX

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM & 2012 2SS M6 IBM
Initially, my installer left the anti vibration kit uninstalled. Later he decided to install it, it made the shift pattern wider. He immediately removed them & now the shift pattern is much more precise. Living with Hurst shifters for over 30 years, I have accepted that there is going to be a certain amount of vibration noise. Initially there was no noticeable noise with this shifter, but after a month or so, it made the familiar Hurst Shifter noise.
Vengeance Racing VRPD-2 Cam Kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Injector Dynamics ID850 Injectors, Forced Induction Interchiller,
Cold Air Inductions CAI, BBK 40210 LT Headers & Free Flow Cats, MBRP S7022409 T409-Stainless Steel
3" Dual Cat Back Exhaust System, Lingenfelter ZR1 Dual Disc Clutch Kit, ZL1 Brake Kit Rotors & Calipers
628 RWHP/596 RWTQ / A.C.E.5
DragRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote