Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #43
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
i used to own a red 3rd gen like the one shown in those pics....and mine didnt sit anywhere near as high as that one does. that has me very suspicious.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #44
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
maybe a Targa top like on the vettes?
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #45
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Hmm, can't tell for sure but with the higher ride height some kind of modified suspension is there under that '80s body. Could be a 6th gen set of front and rear cradles retrofitted underneath.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #46
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
Hmm, can't tell for sure but with the higher ride height some kind of modified suspension is there under that '80s body. Could be a 6th gen set of front and rear cradles retrofitted underneath.

Nice point!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #47
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Guessing the old F cars may have simply been the "mules" GM used prior to the true prototypes for power train and chassis development work.

If that is the cas we could conclude some things about the mass and size of the Gen6.

Likely no one noticed an old 80s Camaro driving around with an M plate. Only now in the company of the prototypes does it get noticed.
The idea that GM is testing the 6th gen powertrain with 3rd gen bodies and interiors is pretty awesome. May not be true, but if so I love it lol.

As you said that would certainly explain why it took so long to finally see a 6th gen testing, and why nobody spotted any mules testing (unless they were using the ATS as a mule....there was that idea as well).

Of course, for it to make sense, there would need to be a 6th gen chassis hiding under there wouldn't there? The raised bulge in the hood, and body height are cause for speculation for sure. Now if only someone could have ran up there and snapped a pic of the underside of that 3rd gen! That would tell the tale.

I still don't think GM would put a 6 turbo in this car, as the cost and power output would be pretty much the same as the V8 so it doesn't seem to make sense. I can see there being a turbo 4 in that 3rd gen car...so that's where my bets go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
I'm in a position to immediately wire $50 to your private account for complete details of the 6th.

Targa would be better than t-top by the way...
I got $51!!
Old 10-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #48
camarosource

Drives: 1992 Camaro Z28 Showcar
What's a "M" plate?

Camarosource.ca FACEBOOK PAGE - EXCLUSIVE INFO On upcoming Camarosource.ca V5.0 and More!!

camarosource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #49
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosource View Post
What's a "M" plate?
"Manufacturer" plate issued by Michigan.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #50
ngtmare
ngtmare

Drives: Black and Pink and out of control
I would love to see the return of the Calif ed. Iroc somehow incorporated into this new car.
ngtmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:53 PM   #51
m1tankr

Drives: '69 Camaro RS LM-1
GM has a history of using previous generation cars to test various things. I've brought this up before, during development of the C5 Vette, they had full C5 chassis' under C4 bodies. They developed the transaxle completely hidden for over a year on refitted C4's. The Vette group even used some with ZR1 rear panels to test different gas tank & tire options. They can easily isolate certain things they want to test by modifying cheap older cars to fit the new parts they are testing & no one notices. There are a number of shops they contract out these custom jobs to. It's much cheaper to take an old (free) car they have sitting around with a good body, interior, etc, & stuff in different drivetrain & suspension options. If I remember right, one of the books talked about how they developed a couple of different frame (tube thicknesses & such) options as they wanted to go to a totally different type of frame for the C5 Vette. They went back & forth for over a year testing the different frames right under everyone's nose & no one knew a thing. They did the same thing & made something like 6 totally new motors. There were problems with the new LS motor & they had a couple of iron block LS's they tested as it was easier to do it that way first until they figured out the casting for the new motor. These hide-in-plain sight mules let them get a lot of tuning & testing done before they lock designs in. If you think about it, everyone's looking for 6th gen test cars. That 3rd gen would pull right up next to anyone of us & we wouldn't even notice it. "Looks like some redneck jacked up an old IROC/RS & stuck a turbo on it."
From the height of that 3rd gen, it's obviously lost a lot of weight. From the description of noises, I agree the turbo 4 or 6 is what they are testing in that one. Would be smart to go after the newer generation with a base turbo 4 they are familiar with & they have some experience with (Cobalt SS).
m1tankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:22 PM   #52
chewy8

Drives: 96 bonneville
its got a shark fin on the top dont the verts have it on the trunk?
chewy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:59 PM   #53
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy8 View Post
its got a shark fin on the top dont the verts have it on the trunk?
Exactly, which is why I think it is not a convertible. If it is a T Top I'd be surprised after all the comments Scott has had against them.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:38 AM   #54
benanderson89

Drives: Kia GT
Quote:
Interesting.. Have to admit that I've never heard of foglights on the BACK of a car before?
Its one of the joys (read: pains) of trying to import an American car to anywhere else in the world. You need new turn signals on the side of the car, new turn signals on the rear with front and back fog lights on two separate circuits.

Hell, the total cost of importation after retrofitting is what has turned me off importing a Gen5 to the UK, so I eagerly await a Euro spec Gen6 with a smaller capacity turbo engine (because $8 a gallon) and sticker price under £30,000 (incl. fees and tax) - the steering wheel on the right would be nice, too.
benanderson89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #55
libertyforall

Drives: '01 Camaro SS 'Vert; '02 Camaro RS
Lightbulb

+ 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
Targa would be better than t-top by the way...
Old 10-25-2014, 01:10 PM   #56
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post
Fog Lights.

Any car outside the USA in key markets like Mainland Europe require low mounted rear fog lamps as standard. The USA it not part of the World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations.

Map of member states.

Because of the presence of these fog lights, as well as cladding on the wing mirrors and LED Day Time running lamps as standard, its leading me to believe that the test mule we see here is a European specification Camaro.

Intercooler? Probably a European Turbo 4.

Fog Lights? Required in Europe.

Cladding on Wing Mirrors? Europe requires larger wing mirrors than the USA. So different wing mirrors with different styling.

It seems to me that General Motors are planning to assault Europe with the 6th gen right out the gate to compete with the 2015 Ford Mustang. GM most likely saw the unprecedented reaction to a global Mustang and finally decided to take other markets more seriously with its pony car.

With the Chevrolet brand being withdrawn pretty much everywhere except Russia, it'll be interesting to see how and where GM will market and sell the car. Maybe they'll push them through their Opel and Vauxhall dealer network.
Chevrolet brand is being pulled out of Europe but specific models will still be sold as Chevrolets. AKA Camaro and Corvette. Also talk of sending the full size trucks to Australia.

Quote:
Interesting.. Have to admit that I've never heard of foglights on the BACK of a car before?
Buick Encore has them since it's a rebadged Opel/Vauxhall Mokka.