Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Mike Norris
Account Suspended

VMax CNC Throttle Body Dyno Test Data

Hey All,

Here is some test data I had posted in one of my sales threads, but it seems quite a few more folks check out this area more then the sales area.

Back a couple years ago I did some of the preliminary testing for the VMax CNC LS2, LS3 and LS7 TB's (all the same) with Corvette Enthusiast magazine and the results were quite impressive. This was on a Z06 and since then I have sold somwhere around 100-150 units and VMax is probably over 500 units by now.

Yesterday I did a test on a 2010 SS LS3 M6 car that was all stock except for a Corsa exhaust and the results were quite good. There was also a test that VMax did with a shop in FL called Anti-Venom yesterday and I should have there results here before long.

I did my best to keep all things equal in relation to coolant, oil and air intake temps and here is what I came up with. I also did the runs with the engine cover off to help from getting way hot during the back to back runs. I was waiting approx 1 minute between runs.

To start the car was very good out of the box and made in the 185-195*F coolant temp range she made 375.3 RWHP and 381.4 RWT with an AF ratio that varied from 12.1 up to 12.7. Usually I see 12.0 AF and lower. I also did 3 more runs and the power dropped off a bit each run, with the fourth run coming in at 369.9 RWHP and 367.4 RWT. Had some spark knock on the later runs as the temps got into the 220-225*F area. This is one of the best baseline cars I have seen and most likely due to it being leaner then most.

I installed the CNC VMax TB and did a quick run though the coolant temps were still in the 215-220*F area and she did 374.4 RWHP and 375.4 RWT.

After that I got some fans on her to cool her down and also waited about an hour or so. Start up no problem, nice idle and fuel trims in line with the stock TB. Got her to the 170-175*F coolant temp and gave her a bit of a cooler run and she did 388.0 RWHP and 390.7 RWT. Definitely the cooler the better for these cars, but that temp is not a reality.

Next run was in line with the 185-195*F run and she did 383.6 RWHP and 388.6 RWT which nets to a gain of 8.3 RWHP and 7.2 RWT. This I found to be great results but definitely on the higher side of what I would expect. The hot run is described above as I did it right after the stock TB runs.

This was encouraging, but I would still expect in the area of 5-6 RWHP and 4-5 RWT on most of the LS3 Camaros.

Power gains were pretty much throughout the power band and not just at the peak areas with great throttle response.

On cars that have mods and been tuned "properly", I would not expect to see as much of a gain, but still good results and better throttle response.

We have not seen the same gains with the Camaros as we do with the LS3 powered Vettes and this is mainly due to the airbox and intake tube design. With the Vettes, you have a nice straight shot for the air to travel which makes for a smooth transition through the TB. The LS3 Camaros have the 90 degree turn just before the TB and this drastically alters the peak CFM at WOT. Up to about 50% throttle or so all things stay about equal.

What I like about the VMax CNC TB's is that each and every unit has its own serial number, each is tested on a flow bench and all flow characteristics are noted.

Some ask about the swirl effect or spiral cut of the bore, and initally this was just how the digitizing designed the cutting path. We have no testing to show that this cutting pattern is better then a straght cut, but it certainly does not hurt. Some of my Corvette customers have told me they gained 1-1.5 MPG and it is possible it could be related to the cutting pattern. What I can also tell you is that the final hand ported version used for the digitization with no spiral design worked as well as the current CNC design with the spiral cutting.

Though I have been selling the VMax CNC TB's for quite some time, this newer 2009-2010 body style has just recently been released in a full CNC version in Sept 2010. Initially they were done with a base CNC cut and then hand finished. It took about 15-20 reditions and killing about 10-15 core TB's to get these new style TB's where we wanted them and not sacrifice the results just to get out a product.

One thing myself and VMax are lacking right now is an abundence of useable 2009-2010 cores as I believe between the two of us we have 10-12 cores to use. I generally keep 2-3 completed units here for customers coming in and VMax is currently waiting on other core returns.

You can also send in your core to be cut, but the time required to turn one around is not set in stone as we need to have at least 5 units at a time to cut to get our best pricing. I have had several folks send in theirs cores to be cut and the wait time for a return unit has been anywhere from 10 days to 4 weeks.

You can use the older 2005-2008 TB. It is a different body style, but does bolt on and work fine. But, the newer 2009-2010 style does flow a bit more air and should yield better results.

So hopefully this info helps folks out in making an educated decision. I just try to give folks the facts and leave all the sales fluff and crap out of it.

For more info, you can check out the sales thread at:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104980

Thanks and feel free to ask any questions.

Mike Norris
Attached Images

Mike Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Nice Job On the testing Mike.

How about hooking me up with these guys

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
Mike Norris
Account Suspended

Thanks Ted I have dealer pricing available and can make you a deal on one for your car for sure. I will PM you a price.

Mike Norris
Old 11-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Nice Mike.

I think you guy's should send me one to test back/back on my personal car.

Or I won't talk to you at PRI this year
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Mike, what kinds of gains / benefits would I see on my blown / cammed car?
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
Mike Norris
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
Nice Mike.

I think you guy's should send me one to test back/back on my personal car.

Or I won't talk to you at PRI this year
Like I want to see you at PRI anyways Good talking to you today Don and looking forward to the results for sure.

As far as testing on an SC car, I have yet to do a back to back test, but I would guess it would be the same as a modified and uned car and be in the 4-6 RWHP area as far as gains on the dyno and the better throttle response.

Thanks all

Mike Norris
Old 01-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Hey Mike,

After reading your first post, would you suggest we will see alot better gains if we ran a Vararam intake since it is an OTR style vs one with a 90 degree bend like all the others?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Hey Mike,

After reading your first post, would you suggest we will see alot better gains if we ran a Vararam intake since it is an OTR style vs one with a 90 degree bend like all the others?
Someone else very familiar with these suggested to me the VR would be a great choice to go along with the VMax. I'll let them speak up if they see this thread.

I too would like to know what Mike has to say.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
Mike Norris
Account Suspended

I have not personally tested the Vararam versus the typical 90* turn units with either a standard TB or a VMax.

Seeing as the Corvettes gain more due to being a straight shot into the TB versus the C5 Camaro turn, it is a very good possibility that the staight shot of the Vararam could yield 1-2 HP more.

If someone has done back to back testing on a stock TB equipped car between a Vararam and, lets say a Rotofab or CAI, those results may be an indicator.

Hope this helps and thanks.

Mike Norris