Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #85
joerod97
Chevy Man

Drives: 2010 2ss -black/black
slow down
joerod97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:07 PM   #86
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
70-0 stopping distance is 158 feet
60-0 stopping distance is 109 feet.
30-0 stopping distance is 27 feet.

Physics and reality clash with your opinion, Believe it, or not! ®
You would not have to go from 70-0 on a highway unless if something bad happens ahead you of, which by then, you could see ahead of time and can gradually slow down.
30-0 may be around 27 feet, but i tell ya, if your doing 30 and someone jumps out in front of you....that wont be a pretty sight.

I think what he meant is some speed limits are too low. Believe it or not, but there are A LOT of people who can't even go the speed limit, even when it's only 25. That itself can cause accidents just as easily.

Edit: Woah never mind, i see that Blur has taken care of the similar thing. LOL
mcdoogle6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:26 PM   #87
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
I got pulled over the other day and the officer asked me why I didn't stop right away I replied a few year's ago my wife ran off with a police officer and I thought it was you bringing her back
meanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #88
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
The problem is that if an officer doesn't ask you what you did or if your record is clean, they know you've had prior issues with speeding. They are NOT going to cut you a break.
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:38 PM   #89
1badtie

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
clear, dry day, no traffic??? a minute and a half to catch up to you? sounds like you should of just gave it hell and turned off on anther road... expecially if hes passing you going the other way
1badtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:08 AM   #90
streetshark
Bringin' The Pain

Drives: 2031 ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badtie View Post
clear, dry day, no traffic??? a minute and a half to catch up to you? sounds like you should of just gave it hell and turned off on anther road... expecially if hes passing you going the other way
Now there's some helpful advice, throw a felony on top of that traffic cite.
streetshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:41 AM   #91
whamslam3
Camaro King [^*^*^]

Drives: Apollo 11 Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrooper View Post
A Camaro is not a car that only the super rich can afford, I have had 3 C-5 Corvette's and one C-6 Corvette before I had the Camaro. Why do people think we can't afford a nice car?? LOL

Do a burnout and then get pulled over for reckless driving and either cited for it or arrested and taken to jail.
im guessing ur a police officer? why you such a downer, you took that way to seriously. and who cares i would still do it just to see him try and catch me
jk
Old 02-23-2010, 02:21 AM   #92
Rayner

Drives: Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
....after they intentionally committed a vc/pc/etc.... violation
I pulled out of your post the part that needs the most attention.

The reason I've highlighted that is to ask -- "How would you know it was intentional?"

I have cop family members and I watch the COPS and Campus PD shows, so I've generally seen (and even shared) some of the mindset of the cops in those situations. From your point of view, you see a young punk in a hot-rod of a car speeding, so your natural *assumption* is that he's doing it on purpose.

From one who's been pulled over for bogus reasons before, I can say it's not always intentional. Sure, *occasionally* you just *have* to jump on it. But there are times when you're just cruising and enjoying life and happen to not notice you've climbed over the limit. Other times, you're on a street and have not seen a speed sign in miles and honestly don't have a clue what the limit is, so you drive what feels safe -- until you see those flashing lights behind you.

My point being although a great number of nefarious individuals can and do break the law intentionally and with reckless abandon, *not everyone* does.
Rayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:30 AM   #93
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayner View Post
I pulled out of your post the part that needs the most attention.

The reason I've highlighted that is to ask -- "How would you know it was intentional?"

I have cop family members and I watch the COPS and Campus PD shows, so I've generally seen (and even shared) some of the mindset of the cops in those situations. From your point of view, you see a young punk in a hot-rod of a car speeding, so your natural *assumption* is that he's doing it on purpose.

From one who's been pulled over for bogus reasons before, I can say it's not always intentional. Sure, *occasionally* you just *have* to jump on it. But there are times when you're just cruising and enjoying life and happen to not notice you've climbed over the limit. Other times, you're on a street and have not seen a speed sign in miles and honestly don't have a clue what the limit is, so you drive what feels safe -- until you see those flashing lights behind you.

My point being although a great number of nefarious individuals can and do break the law intentionally and with reckless abandon, *not everyone* does.
And now, by quoting me, YOU are the one ASSUMING that I meant that every stop I make, I ASSUME the person did it intentionally... I NEVER said that.

Re-read what I wrote to understand it, if you must.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:31 AM   #94
Rayner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulehead7 View Post
Are radar detectors illegal in Texas? Three tickets + higher insurance would have easily paid for one.
Nope. They're perfectly legal -- but any cop willing to give you the inside scoop will tell you the plain truth:

Detectors are USELESS. When your detector goes off, it's because you're being targeted with the beam. If you're being targeted, you're already busted.

I discovered a site awhile back that I will be shopping at the MOMENT I get my Camaro. It's called radarbusters.com. It's run by a guy who goes by the silly moniker of "Radar Roy."

Roy (if I recall correctly) is a former cop who freely admits the 'inside' tricks they use to nail drivers -- aiming for your front plates (the most reflective spot on your car); the fact that darker cars tend to not reflect the beam as well while bright colors do; etc.

Anyway, on his blog and on his site, he says a detector by itself is useless and a waste of money. And site that claim to sell a radar "scrambler" are either A) frauds or B) selling something that is a felony to possess as radar is governed by the FCC and interfering with it is a HUGE no-no.

However (SS owners take note here) he also says that since many agencies are switching to or have switched to laser -- *that* is perfectly legal (in most states) to "scramble."

He sells a few festive little devices which quite literally make it so a laser gun gets back nothing but dashes when it's pointed at your car. He even has videos demonstrating it up on his site.

Of course, being a former cop, he says his intent is not to advocate you driving like a jackhole because you won't get pulled over. In fact, he says cops are trained to 'gauge' speed by sight and if you're being too blatant with your accelerator, you'll get nailed anyway. His products just help to cover your butt if you're in a group doing a 'common speed' that just happens to be higher than the posted limit.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:33 AM   #95
Rayner

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
And now, by quoting me, YOU are the one ASSUMING that I meant that every stop I make, I ASSUME the person did it intentionally... I NEVER said that.

Re-read what I wrote to understand it, if you must.
I assumed nothing. I made no statement, I asked a question to you. And that question (if you'd like me to ask it again) is:

"How do you know if it's intentional or not?"

Intentional was your word, not mine. And you made no effort to qualify your use of that word in your post.

I suppose, given your reply, that another valid question is: "Why does my asking a question and having a different take on the topic invoke such a hostile/defensive response from you?"
Old 02-23-2010, 02:37 AM   #96
Rayner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELDuran View Post
I said this to a Police officer once.... ( It's a real joke but I used it )

A police officer stopped me for speeding and asked politely, if he could see my licence and registration.
I replied in a huff, 'I wish you people would get your act together. Only yesterday you took away my licence and then today you expect me to show it to you?

I still got the ticket but at least he laughed. And he lowered my speed by 6 miles, from 91 to 85. (It was on a 70mph highway) So I can go to traffic school.
Heh. Well, considering that at some point, being pulled over will be inevitable when I have my Camaro, I already have my response planned out in my head.

Before he even gets up to my window, I will stick my head out and say "Excuse me Sir, do you know what I pulled you over?"

When he gives me the expected confused look, I will say "It's because I just bought this car and thought you might want a closer look at it."

Old 02-23-2010, 02:39 AM   #97
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayner View Post
I assumed nothing. I made no statement, I asked a question to you. And that question (if you'd like me to ask it again) is:

"How do you know if it's intentional or not?"

Intentional was your word, not mine. And you made no effort to qualify your use of that word in your post.

I suppose, given your reply, that another valid question is: "Why does my asking a question and having a different take on the topic invoke such a hostile/defensive response from you?"
There is nothing hostile about my response, all it is is a statement on where you're trying to reach with your question. Dont be so defensive yourself.

If youre having a hard time comprehending, just re-read the post. It's not so difficult. If you really have an issue, feel free to PM me.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:39 AM   #98
Rayner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
70-0 stopping distance is 158 feet
60-0 stopping distance is 109 feet.
30-0 stopping distance is 27 feet.

Physics and reality clash with your opinion, Believe it, or not! ®
And human nature will clash with stats. A faster driver (typically) knows he has to be on his toes or he will be a statistic. A slower driver figures "Hey, since I'm going this slow, I should be able to eat....talk....text..etc while driving. Oops...what did I just hit?"