Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-27-2014, 07:11 AM   #85
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro

How the heck did this turn into a V6 vs V8 debate?
Please return to the topic.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:23 AM   #86
HerRide

Drives: '14 2SS/RS AGM
My Challenger gets WAY more attention than my Camaro. Just Friday night I caught a group of girls posing for pics in front of it. People comment on it all the time, come up next to it and rev, honk at a red light asking about something on it, etc. It's crazy.

Camaro gets a few "nice car!"s but that's about it.

A lot of it depends on what you do to the car - how flashy or unique it is.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:28 AM   #87
EastWood-SS
Born To Run

Drives: 2013 BRM SS/RS LS3
so much of it has to do with how flashy the color is, as well. People who know nothing about cars just see a yellow, purple, light green etc car as exotic and eye-catching and what not.

Us fellas and ladies with black, blue, gray silver… we ain't catching the mainstream audience. oh well lol

2013 Blue Ray Metallic 1SS/RS
Dual Mode Exhaust + Fuse Pull / CAI inc. CAI/ 1LE Strut Tower Brace/ ACS T4 Splitter/ SunRoof/ BA Audio/ Performance Shifter/ White Rally Stripes

EastWood-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:34 AM   #88
HerRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWood-SS View Post
so much of it has to do with how flashy the color is, as well. People who know nothing about cars just see a yellow, purple, light green etc car as exotic and eye-catching and what not.

Us fellas and ladies with black, blue, gray silver… we ain't catching the mainstream audience. oh well lol
^Yep...this is the Challenger. The red stripe catches the eye, plus it has Borla ATAK so it's loud.

I'd imagine the brighter Camaros get a lot of attention.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:02 AM   #89
EastWood-SS
Born To Run

Drives: 2013 BRM SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRide View Post
^Yep...this is the Challenger. The red stripe catches the eye, plus it has Borla ATAK so it's loud.

I'd imagine the brighter Camaros get a lot of attention.

Hell yeah that's sick though. I see why people take notice. My brother has a black challenger with a borla ATAK on it. Can hear him coming down from 2 blocks away but with all the tickets he gets for noise pollution it just aint worth it.

Of course, your Camaro is still cooler though. What a beatiful machine. AGM with that black hood

2013 Blue Ray Metallic 1SS/RS
Dual Mode Exhaust + Fuse Pull / CAI inc. CAI/ 1LE Strut Tower Brace/ ACS T4 Splitter/ SunRoof/ BA Audio/ Performance Shifter/ White Rally Stripes

EastWood-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:20 AM   #90
HerRide

^ Thank you!
Old 04-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #91
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSJIM View Post
After reading a few posts on this thread about V6s and muscle cars, I have to say that anyone who thinks the V6 in these Camaro's and Mustangs arn't up to being called muscle cars should research 20 years ago. 300hp out of a factory V6 today is damn good after all there are some V8s out there with only 300hp. So I have to say that even with a V6, these cars are still muscle cars.
My "little" V6 Camaro would blow the doors off my old 383 Charger. And keep up with a 426 hemi till well past 60. And 20 mpg better than the Hemi.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:11 AM   #92
87GNX

Drives: Alot
MY buddy's 2013 GT 5.0 is the same way...tons of people staring at (its gotta have it green) it but usually afraid to race it as he is supercharged and you can hear the blower whine at idle, but none the less its a loud mfer.
87GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:19 AM   #93
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
I agree brighter radical colors catch the attention. An attractive owner can also gain attention. I only have color going for me.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #94
Showme

Drives: 12 anniversary 2SS,71TTLSX Vette
Since they are adding twin turbos to the new v6 and dropping it in the Cadillac,I think things have changed.Yes the v-8 will allways be more impressive,but guys if you are running around stock be prepaired to get your feelings hurt the numbers are impressive.I see no reason why it wont wind up in the Camaro.420-430hp out the door with out tunning or mods.The lfx now is 20hp give or take a few off off the early ls1 vettes and 25hp or so from the 5.7 gto..in stock form.My biggest fault in it is not the power,but the sound..Still tech is changing things and I'm a die hard v-8 guy.The v-6 for its size/displacement is impressive,the biggest disappointment I have is in the weight of our porkers...The v6 would be well into muscle car territory if the platform did not push 4k.(Imagine what our v8 would do!!)I bought my v6 for driving to and from work and with the stick its still fun and the gas mileage seals the deal.(For my hotrod its LSX only!!lol!)The stangs Camaros and challengers have allways had 6 cylinders in them from day one.It never changed what they were.There were muscle cars and pony cars.(A lot of the old muscle you see running around today was once a pony car with a transplant.)
Here's to tech!
I love the competition between the big three,as to the original question I think the stang gets the least amount of attention simply due to numbers.
Showme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:40 AM   #95
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
Yea, true! I was just saying that the V6 in a camaro , has been around since it first started.
Chris's point is that the early sixxers were inline 6's, not V's with two banks of 3 cylinders. Technically an IL-6 is superior to a V6 in several respects, but neither Dearborn nor Detroit nor any other U.S. mfr was willing to properly address the intake and exhaust systems or even the cylinder head for IL-6's. They just cast the rake manifolds up as cheaply as possible, bolted them on, and called it done.

Side note, at a small car show yesterday there was a mid-60's Chevy II with an inline six . . . all decked out with the Clifford 6=8 performance stuff.

Quote:
A few of my favorite muscle cars are from the 80's ! The Monte Carlo SS and a El Camino SS! Not the biggest engine's but the best looking year's ,to me. So I would consider the Grand National a muscle , personally!
I tend to agree with you here, with an asterisk kind of note that those downsized A/G bodies generally didn't have the performance straight from the factory. Mostly you had to do that part yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaatu barada nikto View Post
here is a HUGE difference in handling between a base Regal and a Turbo Regal.
To say "they didn't handle all that well....over a base Regal" is ludicrous. There is No Comparison. Only someone not familiar with one of these cars would state that. I've already given many of the reasons they handled so well.
This, absolutely. I owned a F41-equipped '79 Malibu that could give a pretty good account of itself even at autocross. No way would anybody confuse the handling of a base A/G body with their sport-suspended siblings. Eventually I worked the engine up to where it would pull about even with, maybe a little stronger than a stockish T.R. from a 55-ish roll.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-27-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #96
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSJIM View Post
After reading a few posts on this thread about V6s and muscle cars, I have to say that anyone who thinks the V6 in these Camaro's and Mustangs arn't up to being called muscle cars should research 20 years ago. 300hp out of a factory V6 today is damn good after all there are some V8s out there with only 300hp. So I have to say that even with a V6, these cars are still muscle cars.
By performance stats absolutely. Maybe you have to be more of a fan of "sleeper performance" to fully appreciate this, where you don't have to have a car's appearance or sound thrown straight in your face to demand that you notice them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post

How the heck did this turn into a V6 vs V8 debate?
Please return to the topic.
Let's call it a clarification of sixxer types and how the newer ones have a much stronger claim to "muscle car status" than the inlines of the 60's ever had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWood-SS View Post

This ↑↑↑ .

I received maybe a handful of compliments when I first bought my GT, this being 6 years and change ago now, before the Camaro was available and while the Challenger was automatic-only (a total deal-breaker for us, but I am NOT trying to start that other squabble, m'kay?). After that, not much. But I never expected any to begin with, didn't even care if I didn't get any at all. Still don't.

Fairly recently I did get a couple more when the people realized it was a 2008 (must have been right after a wash, as the car still cleans up nicely even though I don't ever put anywhere near a show-level effort into it).

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #97
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
Yep, us poor v6 guys again.
Always someone who has to throw a "Cheap Shot" out there lol. I would say that compared to challenger and mustang V6's the Camaro comes out on top. Most people have no idea what they are looking at when one drives by unless you know a little about cars....

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:27 AM   #98
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBourne23 View Post
Always someone who has to throw a "Cheap Shot" out there lol. I would say that compared to challenger and mustang V6's the Camaro comes out on top. Most people have no idea what they are looking at when one drives by unless you know a little about cars....
I am a 2SS/RS 1LE Owner and I approve this message....

TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote