Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Why do you NOT drive your Camaro?

This isn't meant to bash on all the guys that keep 5th Gens as garage queens, but I've heard of a lot of seriously low-mileage cars on here that belong to owners that just don't drive them.

I understand if you have to store it for the winter. While the Camaro does ok in snow, or so I've heard, obviously it's not optimal if you have another choice.

But what about the guys that spend $30k, $40k on these optioned SS cars that just leave them parked all the time? Why? There are cars out there that actually qualify as investments. For a 5G car to become valuable, we need like 40 years or more to pass by. Who's got the time and patience for that? If value is the proposition, there are a lot better ways to grow $30k+....

Discuss
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I agree, I just don't get buying something just to look at.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
Skill377

Drives: 04 Toyota Camry
I don't got one yet! Once I do, i'll put some decent mileages on it.
Skill377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
This isn't meant to bash on all the guys that keep 5th Gens as garage queens, but I've heard of a lot of seriously low-mileage cars on here that belong to owners that just don't drive them.

I understand if you have to store it for the winter. While the Camaro does ok in snow, or so I've heard, obviously it's not optimal if you have another choice.

But what about the guys that spend $30k, $40k on these optioned SS cars that just leave them parked all the time? Why? There are cars out there that actually qualify as investments. For a 5G car to become valuable, we need like 40 years or more to pass by. Who's got the time and patience for that? If value is the proposition, there are a lot better ways to grow $30k+....

Discuss

Well for one if it's just a pleasure vehicle it has very low insurance. Many people use them as show cars or simply do not want to use it as a DD.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
I drive mine everyday, and when I am not driving it. I am riding my Honda 1000RR motorcycle Sportbike. (weather pending)
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Camaro_Custom_Painted
Choke on that causality!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
For the same reason I don't want to eat ice cream every day. I like it best only once in a while.
Edelbrock EForce - Stainless Works Headers - BMR Sways & Arms & Toe Links & Control Arm Bushings & End Links - Rotofab CAI - Assorted Interior, Exterior, Underhood Bling - Red Jewel Stripes & Full Body Clear - Lexani LX15 Wheels - JRE Fuel Rail Upgrade - Kenne Bell BAP - Heartthrob XPipe - Elite Catch Can - Pedders Cradle & Front Arm Bushings - Hotchkis Strut Brace - MSD Wires - Carbotech Brakes - DSS 1000HP Axles & Driveshaft - Mickey Thompson Tires - Halo Harness - AutoMeter A/F, Boost, Fuel Pressure Gauges - Whats Next?
Camaro_Custom_Painted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
paulsandhu

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Well because of the weather. I will not drive my car in West Coast rain... too many idjits on the road who forget speed limits are for best conditions. Unfortunately that means I have to wait till june to drive. No biggie, I have the car. Its in the garage. Not like its going to go anywhere...

Current Modifications:
  • Hurst Comp HardDrive Stick Kit
  • K&N Blackhawk CAI
  • Anvil Carbon Fiber Notch Spoiler
  • Ceramic Coated Satin Black Wrap
paulsandhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
ss=scuba steve

Drives: 2011 1SS Cyber Gray Metallic
Mine is my DD, and my home doesn't have a garage so it's exposed to the elements. That being said if it is freshly cleaned and it rains or we will be somewhere that drinking will be going on, we take my girl's car lol. **she doesn't drink, and she can't drive stick
Old 02-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #9
coolman

I don't park mine because I'm worried about what it will be worth 40 years down the road. I'll be lucky to own it for 5 years let alone 40 ,but I have no reason to run it in bad weather when I have a company vehicle for work and several other rides to wear out. I bought it as a Sunday driver and that's what I use it for.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Mine is a toy. I have a "company car" for daily use. I keep my Camaro clean underneath and in the engine bay, so driving it in the rain becomes a large clean-up job for me. For obvious reasons, I don't drive it in the winter. So, when life gives me free time and the weather is nice, I drive the Camaro for fun. It all boils down to personal choice. I will make an exception to the no-rain rule for the Oshawa trip in June...
Old 02-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #11
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Try to use mine as much as possible, 32K and counting since June 09. I am getting the max permagrin I can get out of this car !
Old 02-21-2011, 06:50 PM   #12
Bowtiepower00

Drives: Previous Camaros: 69, 89, 11, 13
I can see why someone would buy one as a weekend driver. I love my LS, and it's a great DD, but in a couple of years I would love to add an SS (Vert?) as a weekend car. Sure, for the money, you can buy a 1st Gen, or other collectable car, but keeping one of those around takes a decent amount of time and/or money in maintenance, etc., while a new Camaro is pretty much going to be gas and go, with occasional oil changes, etc. If you put 5K miles a year on it, you could have a nice weekend car for 20 years before it's gonna have a ton of miles on it. I've owned a first gen, and loved it, but the upkeep gets to you after awhile, especially if you're the type that can't leave well enough alone. Besides, most classic cars lose their value quickly if you drive them enough to enjoy them. And the really valuable ones generally don't see much time on the road.

When it comes to comfort, driving a 4.10 Posi, Muncie car with no power brakes or steering just isn't quite as comfortable (or fuel efficient) as my 5th gen...
Bowtiepower00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:50 PM   #13
trucker north

Drives: black silver stripe 1 ss
I drive mine .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post

Discuss
I drive mine as much as I can . Up in Indiana weather is the thing to get over ,and I do not want premature aging on it . I drive a Semi so my time is limited .I dream about driving it too. even after several thousand miles a week that is the first thing I do when I get home. weather permiting of course ,and they are crap in the snow!!! so it sits most of the time anyway but that just leaves me more years to drive it new!!!
trucker north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:50 PM   #14
Bluestreak 2010

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro LS
I have another DD so I don't drive mine that often. I had planned on trading that in on a cash for clunkers deal and then only having the camaro. However, we found out I could get the extra $1,000 if we traded my dad's blazer in, so we decided to go that route meaning I got to keep my DD. We don't have a full garage anymore so mine sits out in the weather, but now I can at least take advantage of driving the beater in bad weather.
Bluestreak 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote