Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-28-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
forumryder255

Drives: none yet
few comparasions

hey everyone new to this forum

im getting my license next year, i am 95% sure im going to get one of the muscle cars. At first i was thinking the mustang or challenger that will be out next year. Now i am thinking about waiting to get a car untill 2009, do you think the camaro will be more or the same in performance compared to a challenger?
forumryder255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I don't want to tell you what to expect, because I don't fully know, yet. But here are some numbers to throw around.

While the Camaro is a muscle car true and through... I think of the Challenger as more of a "boulevard bruiser" than a muscle car.

Expect a Camaro around 3700 lbs, and top-line around 430 hp.
(courtesy this site)
Expect a Challenger around 4100 lbs. and top line around 425 hp (courtesy insideline.com)

You decide

Last edited by Mr. Wyndham; 05-28-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:20 PM   #3
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
Plus a Challenger is a Dodge afterall...

We've had some bad experiences with Dodges lol
Old 05-28-2007, 10:22 PM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Welcome to the site, forumryder. I have to agree w/ all that Dragon said, but would like to add one thing. Top of the line Camaro might be a wee bit more than 430...seeing as though we've heard a rumor of the S/C LS3 version. And...we've been given a wink by a GM powertrain person. I said, "wink"...and not anything more.

Camaro should have it beat in straight line acceleration as well as in the twisties if weight and suspension stays the same.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:00 PM   #5
forumryder255

Yeah i think my mind is set on the camaro now only deciding factors i have left is the msrp and mpg
Old 05-29-2007, 09:57 AM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Well, go on over to the Flexfuel thread. I was going to get to that here, though. I had forgotten to mention a few things:
1. They are not mass-mass producing the Challenger, only about 40,000 I think I heard - which will drive the cost right up.

2. Hemi's are powerful, but terrible on fuel mileage - even with cyllinder deactivation

3. GM has a reputation for under-rating thier vehicle's Hp numbers. Dodge...well, I 'm not sure.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
forumryder255

yeah, all in all i am liking the camaro better. My only disappointment is the 2009 release date over the 2008.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:24 PM   #8
bcannan354

Drives: 1968 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by forumryder255 View Post
yeah, all in all i am liking the camaro better. My only disappointment is the 2009 release date over the 2008.
Good things come to those who wait. Save a little more money and buy the car you want.
bcannan354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:20 PM   #9
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcannan354 View Post
Good things come to those who wait. Save a little more money and buy the car you want.
Agreed. You're young (well, younger than me by a bit...I'm sure I'm young to many here), you can get a Honda for a year to save up some money, then be able to get the Camaro.

I can't imagine being 16 years old and having the money to afford a brand new muscle car, not to mention the fact that your insurance will likely be as much (or more) as your car payment!
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:55 PM   #10
forumryder255

yeah i might get a civic or a 89 mustang for the year and then get the camaro. As for the finance as long as i work my ass of in school im only going to have to worry about the aftermarket parts which will be exhaust tints audio and maybe better tires at the most.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:13 AM   #11
daddyseth1

Drives: 94 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Well, go on over to the Flexfuel thread. I was going to get to that here, though. I had forgotten to mention a few things:
1. They are not mass-mass producing the Challenger, only about 40,000 I think I heard - which will drive the cost right up.

2. Hemi's are powerful, but terrible on fuel mileage - even with cyllinder deactivation

3. GM has a reputation for under-rating thier vehicle's Hp numbers. Dodge...well, I 'm not sure.
He is so right. The body of most Dodge's are either too high on the top and not low enough under the body(Probably except the Viper, but the nose is too narrow). So just let the force be your guide.................. get a CAMARO!
daddyseth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:10 PM   #12
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by forumryder255 View Post
yeah i might get a civic or a 89 mustang for the year and then get the camaro. As for the finance as long as i work my ass of in school im only going to have to worry about the aftermarket parts which will be exhaust tints audio and maybe better tires at the most.
Hi everyone. I have been kind of MIA for awhile. I started my new job about a month ago and have been so incredibly swamped since then that I haven't had time to get on and keep up with the discussions. However, it doesn't look like I missed much!

Back on topic...

Wow, you are only 16 and plan on buying a $30k or more car? Unless you have some source of income that most 16 year olds do not (ie high paying job, trust fund, etc) then I would recommend not putting yourself into a bad financial situation at such a young age.

When I was in college I took out a few student loans to pay for some things that I shouldn't have, like a motorcycle, 4-wheeler, lift for my truck.... and I can not begin to tell you how much I regret it. It is not worth going into such great debt at such a young age. Not to mention the insurance you will have to pay.

Of course it is your money and your life, and I don't mean to be telling you what you should and/or should not do. I am just giving you advice I wish someone had given me several years ago.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:35 PM   #13
forumryder255

As long as I put my 100% into school and I do really well i dont have to pay for it with my own money. Im just going to be paying for the aftermarket parts, which im going to get money for by selling my quad. Im going to have gas, insurance, and the car paid for.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:27 PM   #14
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Your parents are really, really brave. I will pray for them.

Not saying you're a bad kid, you could be the exception to the rule. All I have to compare is 1)The way I was at 16, and 2) My younger siblings and my kid.

No way in HELL would there be a 400rwhp car in their diet.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote