Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-29-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
I want to get a TVS 2300 but I need some (engine) comforting...

okay, here's the deal. I'm seriously considering the TVS 2300 for my recently purchased SS automatic. the car only has 400 miles on it and I'm wondering if it's safe to take the 2300 plunge?

also, I'm very concerned with long term durability with this system. my car is a daily driver which means I cannot afford to have it breaking down on a regular basis. I'm not the type of person who floors the pedal at every red light so I have no worries about me abusing the car.

but like most of us, I have this never ending thirst for power and my SS is certainly no exception. this is why I'm considering the TVS 2300. I like the way it looks (somewhat stock) under the hood. but I'm also concerned about how much of a toll that this supercharger will take on my LS3.

is this something that's going to shorten the engine's lifespan by say 50% or is it no where near as bad as I'm thinking? I do understand supercharging anything does create more stress and such. I'm just wondering how soon will it be before I will need to crack my LS3 open for a rebuild?

any advice will be appreciated.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
It is not as bad as you are thinking.
You can still get quite a long life on yoru engine, assumming you run the regular kit and do not increase boost. The LS3 is a durable motor, and I would not be suprised to see them go over 75k miles or more with no issues. That is if you are not at the drag strip every weekend!!

I would have no issues with it being a daily driver and it will last you quite some time.

If you have any questions/concerns, send me a PM I will be happy to help...I can also help you get a great deal on the system itself.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
You will have zero issues with reliability issues. Best decision you will make and never need to lay a hand on car. Install and drive. Oh yeah, did I mention the fun factor it brings.
jrpxxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:21 AM   #4
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
I agree, the TVS system is extremely reliable. They design it so that you will nto have to worry about it.

Yes it is capable of producing enough boost to blow up your motor, but that is why they give you a 6psi pulley in the standard kit.

You will be a very happy camaro owner if you have that system installed. Not to mention a very popular one at work and car cruises!!
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:32 AM   #5
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZcamaro View Post
I agree, the TVS system is extremely reliable. They design it so that you will nto have to worry about it.
worrying about the supercharger isn't my main concern. my main concern is the engine itself. replacing the supercharger is one thing but replacing an entire engine would be a major nightmare altogether.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:45 AM   #6
JohnInSoCal

Drives: RJT L99 500HP
all depends on what boost and how you drive it. Keep it low boost and conservative tune and it should be fine, not sure how fun it will be at 6 lbs. I have mine at 8 lbs with an aggressive tranny tune, i'm more worried about the tranny at this point than the engine.

One other note of caution, since I had supercharger installed with exhaust and CAI I drive it harder now than I did when it was all stock. I love boost and the supercharger whine and the sucking sound of air moving through this thing at WOT. You may find it hard to resist as well.
JohnInSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:48 AM   #7
Stewcam

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
My thought is that if you are worried about the engine and cost to rebuilt part of it that you should not add the supercharger because you will be "afraid" to enjoy your new power. Or, you can just assume that it may cost you some money down the road (even though it is very low probability) to repair it and just go into it with that thought process. That is what I did and it is much more fun to drive it because you will not be afraid to enjoy it.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Drive it reasonably, without beating it and it would last. As stated above, stay with the kit's boost configuration, and your engine will last. I've had turbo car that went over 120K miles before I sold it and the engine was still strong. The key here is the abuse.
I see people on the track that literally abuse their own paid cars. I don't understand how someone brings a $50K car to track and abuses it.

Go to Next Level Performance and Geoff has the best team there to set it for you.
Good luck!
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
The engine and tranny are built to withstand more then the stock maggie kit makes. Drive it normally and your engine will last just as long as it normally would...beat on it all the time or take it to the track every weekend and like with any car you'll have to take it in for some repairs earlier then you want.
TVS2300 Supercharger w/Maggie Max Stage 2, 3.6 Pulley, Innovators West 8 rib conversion, OD rear Cog belt drive.
Jannetty Racing Rough Idle Cam, LS3 Conversion.
Jannetty Racing built 6l80e Trans, Jannetty Racing Custom Converter, Built rear diff w/ 3.45 gears, DSS driveshaft and 1400 hp axles.
ADM Twin Pump Fuel System, ADM CAI, Dynatech 1 7/8" Coated Headers, Borla "S" Catback.
Custom 18" Forgestar F14's, Nitto 305/45-18 DR's
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #10
JProberts

Drives: 2SS RJT RS/Sunroof
I feel your pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
worrying about the supercharger isn't my main concern. my main concern is the engine itself. replacing the supercharger is one thing but replacing an entire engine would be a major nightmare altogether.
I also have gone back and forth concerned about breaking some other part of the car becasue of the S/C and from what I have been told anf researched is that if you have a safe/quality tune and run it at a lower safer psi setting than your car may actually wear at the same rate as stock set-up.

But of course the harder you drive it and the more you push the envelope on the tune is where you increase the stress on the motor and other major parts.

I have decided to get it done becasue I do not plan on track racing the car and will use a safe tune of 6-7psi on the TVS 2300. The other reason I am more comfortable with this S/C is becasue it is not new technology and has been proven to work on the vette engines which are just like the camaro from my understanding.

But yeah, I do know your pain in the decision making process. You already have a great car but want to make it better without the possibility or ruining an already great car just to make it greater!

What the hell! Go for it!!!!
JProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #11
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
LPE does a great job with the Maggies and are known for running a safe tune. I think these will last a long time with a safe tune. I have 5k miles on my car and it only had 10 miles on it when the TVS was installed. Go for it - I don't think you will regret it.

2.55 Upper / 8.6 Lower / ID850's / Kooks Longtubes / New Era CAI
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:57 PM   #12
camaro692

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, G8 GT, HD FLHRX
Hold the phones! You dont have a LS3. You said your car is an automatic which makes it a L99.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:05 PM   #13
Wileytrigger21

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT / RS, Blk 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro692 View Post
Hold the phones! You dont have a LS3. You said your car is an automatic which makes it a L99.
Wileytrigger21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:36 PM   #14
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
Absolutely get the TVS2300! We've had very good luck with them & the car is a blast to drive. If we can help you get a price on them please feel free to give us a call, we have very very competitive pricing on these chargers!
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote