Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
LikaRokBowTie

Drives: 221SS1LE
ZL-1 future money maker

I'm checking out money.com and there is a story about cars you wish you had bought,as they could very well be collector cars and BAM!!!! ZL-1 is there,now I might have to seriously consider getting one as the last collector car I bought didn't become a collector car,so all you new ZL-1 owners have a very good reason to hold onto this car for a while,maybe just maybe it could pay off.And I know that not everyone cares about that aspect of owning this awesome car but with that potential makes it more enviable as the only mustang listed was the laguna seca edition.
LikaRokBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Ltespd

Drives: 2010 SS, 2006 SC Saleen
it will take a very long time for a ZL1 to become a collector car. If ever. There's going to be too many of them. It's not limited production.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltespd View Post
it will take a very long time for a ZL1 to become a collector car. If ever. There's going to be too many of them. It's not limited production.
There won't be too many of them in 30 or 40 years. And there will be even less in original condition.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
Beechdoctor

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaRokBowTie View Post
I'm checking out money.com and there is a story about cars you wish you had bought,as they could very well be collector cars and BAM!!!! ZL-1 is there,now I might have to seriously consider getting one as the last collector car I bought didn't become a collector car,so all you new ZL-1 owners have a very good reason to hold onto this car for a while,maybe just maybe it could pay off.And I know that not everyone cares about that aspect of owning this awesome car but with that potential makes it more enviable as the only mustang listed was the laguna seca edition.

You can buy a ZL1 and wait 40 years and then you'll know, but I wouldn't make a decision like that based on one writers opinion.

The odds aren't likely that these modern ZL1's will be overly collectible unless you get a unique car....one of first 10 serial numbers or some other unique car like the discontinued IBM, CTF car. Future collectiblity is all about rarity and I think GM plans on producing quite a few more than 69 units as they did the first go around.

I would never consider buying one of these cars today on the chance they increase in value....Remember the $75K C4 ZR1's from the early nineties?? There are many available for under $20K today and the museum quality zero mile cars are worth half the money paid in 1990. They were awesome cars in their time, but today, the performance and quality standards they set have been so far eclipsed, that I doubt they will ever exceed current values other than an inflation adjustment.

The Buick GNX is the only modern GM car that I can think of that has held value since inception....but again...in its day not a very popular car...hence its rarity and perceived value by those that covet them.

Buy the ZL1, drive it, and enjoy it!
Beechdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I have noticed that only the 1st Gen Camaros are in the big money. I don't see the second gens and up currently valued very high.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
I could see the 2012 ZL-1 with special tags or ID markings being very collectable, but other than that I don't think it will be something more than normal.

Just look at the 2010 camaro, people were snatching them up, storing them and now they realize that its not going to be as collectable as they thought. You can find plenty of 10 models online forsale with very low miles and at a great price.

The one thing that the 12 ZL-1 has going for it is the half year production, so with that Chevrolet is limited to how many they can build. They will still build to demand, so it's not that limited.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
Good luck if you are buying it as an investment.

1. remember that you can't drive much if at all. Most 40 year old colector cars sell with under 5,000 miles on them.

2. maybe in 40 years it'll be worth more maybe not but you have to also add you costs of owning the car, financing interest and insurance

3. weigh that return vs other investments over that time period. It'll need to be worth at least 10x what you pay for it assuming that you have no cost to own it, no insurance, and no financing cost just to keep up with an investment that earns 6% over 40 years.

Maybe it'll be better just to buy it and recognize that it is an expense/cost of driving such an awesome car!
Old 01-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
Aziz

Drives: 09 Dodge Durango
I think despite the long period of time AND the mass production, the ZL-1 is going to be a collectors item. lets face it here, gas prices are not going down any time soon ( I'm talking about the US here from what I heard from the news), the emission regulations are getting stricter and stricter, even corvettes the leading flagship battle cruisers of chevrolet are gonna have smaller engines (from what I read from multiple sources) from 6.2 to 5.5 or 5.7 I forgot. In any case, this ZL-1 might sadly be the most powerful production camaro that will ever exist. As much as I hate to admit it, I really think there will be no other camaro that matches its legacy and performance :(
Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
Fish-man

Drives: too many to say!
Buying a new car for collectibility is for rich people with lots of spare storage. Remember that you'll spend money on (storage) insurance and the storage space itself, even if you own the building.
Buying an older car that is at the bottom of its value curve is better... still speculative, and still requires time, and storage space....
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziz View Post
I think despite the long period of time AND the mass production, the ZL-1 is going to be a collectors item. lets face it here, gas prices are not going down any time soon ( I'm talking about the US here from what I heard from the news), the emission regulations are getting stricter and stricter, even corvettes the leading flagship battle cruisers of chevrolet are gonna have smaller engines (from what I read from multiple sources) from 6.2 to 5.5 or 5.7 I forgot. In any case, this ZL-1 might sadly be the most powerful production camaro that will ever exist. As much as I hate to admit it, I really think there will be no other camaro that matches its legacy and performance :(
Aziz

You hit the nail on the head! We collectors know it when we see it!
THE 2012 ZL1
is a

LIVING LEGEND!

Resident Expert

Last edited by htron50; 01-30-2012 at 09:15 PM.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
1. The 2012 Camaro ZL1 with less than half a year of production and not even produced except on certain weeks makes this a collectors car period

However...

2. VTXrider hit it on the head, especially when referring to the cost associated with owning it and maintaining it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXrider View Post
Good luck if you are buying it as an investment.

1. remember that you can't drive much if at all. Most 40 year old colector cars sell with under 5,000 miles on them.

2. maybe in 40 years it'll be worth more maybe not but you have to also add you costs of owning the car, financing interest and insurance

3. weigh that return vs other investments over that time period. It'll need to be worth at least 10x what you pay for it assuming that you have no cost to own it, no insurance, and no financing cost just to keep up with an investment that earns 6% over 40 years.

Maybe it'll be better just to buy it and recognize that it is an expense/cost of driving such an awesome car!
Old 01-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziz View Post
I imagine people thought the same thing in the 70s and 80s when you had 200hp Camaros and Mustangs and an oil crisis. Today's cars do literally every single thing better than cars of 40 years ago. Just look at the 2012 ZL1: it's faster, handles better, stops better, more reliable, safer, will last longer, and is much more fuel efficient than the ZL1 of 1969. The 2012 ZL1 will be an awesome car. Drive it, enjoy it. You'd certainly get a lot more enjoyment from using it than wiping it down with a diaper in the garage.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
It won't happen in my lifetime.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
I know mine will become a collector, a 45th anniversary as it was only made one year!!!!!! NOT, even if I only put 1000miles per year it would still run a loss, and I think the ZL-1 is no different. The only way a ZL-1 may be worth some serious money is if you buy it and don't drive it. The joy you have will be to look at it, not to drive it. The ZL-1 is a car to buy and enjoy!!!!!!! What you get for it later, you get, no one can say for sure what any of these cars will be worth 30 years for now. Mine is a toy so I plan on putting less that 2500miles per year but in 10 years thats still 25000miles, in 30 years thats 75000 miles, it would be good condition, but not collector condition.
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote