Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #15
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Tennesse has a helmet law but just to the north Ky does not. It always seems weird to see folks riding on the interstate without helmets. I feel the same way about this as folks who argue against seat belt laws. Just wear the darn things.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #16
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Arizona allows for no helmet. I 99.9% of the time wear one riding.

Interesting "factiods":

70% of all motorcycle fatalities are caused by head tramua.

70% of all automobile fatalities are caused by head tramua.

Maybe I should be wearing a helmet while in my car or truck too... ?
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:43 PM   #17
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Tennesse has a helmet law but just to the north Ky does not. It always seems weird to see folks riding on the interstate without helmets. I feel the same way about this as folks who argue against seat belt laws. Just wear the darn things.

The point is that people should not be FORCED to do it. If they want to risk their own life, then so be it.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #18
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
While taking my MSF course, one of my classmates grabbed the front brake too hard on the quick-stop test and high-sided. That was at 15 mph, instructor said he'd likely have a concussion at the very least if he hadn't been wearing a helmet. Luckily for him, he only managed to tear a tendon. This, combined with the fact that there are a LOT of dumb drivers in my town are the reason I always wear my helmet when I ride.

Iowa doesn't have a helmet law, and it's not very common to see riders wearing one.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #19
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
To me riding any motorcycle without a helmet is idiotic and anyone that promotes it is double idiotic... of course they should all get the Darwin Award...
Wear your helmet or take out lots of life insurance so your family will be taken care of because eventually its going to catch up to you.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #20
scuba264

Drives: Manual 2011 CGM LS
I'm in PA, helmets are required if you have a permit but with your license you can go without.

I still always wear one, I ride a cruiser and have a half helmet. Like others said I'd need it just for bugs and wind and crap. I wear padded glasses and my helmet has a pull down visor.

I'm a huge proponent for things being up to you though. I don't think the law should force you to wear one. I don't see a good reason not to, but if you don't want to wear one that should be up to you.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #21
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
No helmet law in my state but I always wear a FF helmet. It makes me feel like Darth Vader and I can use my Force Choke powers at stop lights to kill people who piss me off.
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #22
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
In MN we have helmet laws for them who are 16 and if you only have a permit. After you get you motorcycle lic. and turn 18 you don't have to wear one. I ride a Harley Street Glide and I don't wear a helmet, unless it's raining or it's really cold.
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #23
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
I weare a helmet because its required..... but I gotta be honest. There are times where I feel that I would rather die from not wearing a helmet, than spend the rest of my life wearing a helmet because I am brain damaged after an accident with a helmet.

What a lot of people dont realize is that safety standards for helmets, just like that of car crash tests, are very misleading. Car crash tests are done at low speeds, not highway speeds. Helmets are rated to survive a fall of 10 feet.

If you are going more than 50 mph and have a wreck, in many more cases than not, the helmet is just good for helping find whats left of the head.

well I am living proof of otherwise.

70mph accident,, I was side swiped by a suburban who decided he had to be in my lane right then and there.

I was knocked off the bike and then run over by the vehicle behind me.

I was in full leather gear, steel toe boots, and a full face, properly fit helmet, which protected me completely.

my initial fall from being side swiped had me sliding at a measured 352 feet before the car behind me hit me and used me as a speed bump..

without the helment I would not be here today, I suffered some major injuries to my lower body, but the helmet protected my head and though it had a 9 inch long split in it, I did not suffer any damage to my head, face or brain.

I did however break my hip, femur and pelvis, ruptured a testicle, my bladder and my spleen, as well as broke 5 ribs..

Take it as you want.. I always ride with a full face, and yes I still ride.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #24
David79z28

Drives: 79Z28 and 2010 2SS/RS
I'm typing this today because I wore a helmet.

I broke 3 limbs but the helmet saved my life...

I put a paint sealant on my visor. Bugs didn't stick to it as easy and it made those that did stick easier to remove!!
David79z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #25
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
The point is that people should not be FORCED to do it. If they want to risk their own life, then so be it.
Yeah, Yeah, I get it .................................................. ............
Ya can't fix Stupid .................................................. .................
natural selection.

Like I said..........................Just wear 'um.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #26
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
Arizona allows for no helmet. I 99.9% of the time wear one riding.

Interesting "factiods":

70% of all motorcycle fatalities are caused by head tramua.

70% of all automobile fatalities are caused by head tramua.

Maybe I should be wearing a helmet while in my car or truck too... ?
I think you left out the part where the 70% of head trauma in car accidents were due to not wearing seat belts and their head hit the windshield....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Statements like this remind me of my son at 5 years old saying, " I don't want to do it and you can't make me."
The only reason we have laws like this to protect the stupid people is because of insurance companies. The same can be said for seat belt laws.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #27
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
No helmet law in Illinois, don't have a bike anymore but I have rode alot, and mostly with a full face helmet. I kind of feel naked without one. I have rode without a helmet many times. I always say that if a person rides a bike alot, someday that bike is going to fall over. Somehow, someway, it is going to fall over. Might be in your driveway, might be on the road. I hit a deer about 20 years ago. I was going around a curve and all of a sudden I saw two deer standing in the road. It was in November so I was dressed very thick. I went flying off the bike and my full face helmet hit the pavement both on the face and on the back of the head. I always wonder what my face and head would have looked like after my face and back of my head bounced off the pavement. The deer died on the side of the road. And I had a sore body and ankle for a few weeks.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #28
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
I rode motorcycles for years without a helmet before it became mandatory in Ca. Why I am still alive I will never know.
Putting on one now is the same as putting on your shoes, no big deal.
Anti-helmet ABATE bikers don't like helmets due to the anonymity factor.
Part of the loud Harley mindset is to be seen and recognized. Helmets hide your identity.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote