Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 04-27-2011, 02:44 AM   #1
Nique303

Drives: 2010 Camaro
NOOB turbo question

so im not too upp on the whole turbo stuff still learning so dont bash me to hard /// was thinking about installing one turbo on my v6 i want to mount one turbo right after the CAT just wondering do i have to combine both left and right side exhaust pipes to run into the turbo? or will oneside be enough to spin the turbo ?

hope that makes sense ?
ZEX NITROUS KIT
REAR WINDOW LOUVER
CUSTOM PAINTED RIMS
CUSTOM PAINTED CALIPERS
WHITE RACING STRIPES
METRA KIT INSTALLED
PIONEER TOUCH SCREEN DVD
1-12INCH PRIMIER SHALLOW MOUNT SUB
800 WATT SINGLE CHANNEL PIONEER AMP
FRONT AND REAR LIGHT BLACK OUT KIT
Nique303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
lol. No bashing here, but you MIGHT want to reconsider doing turbos until you know how they work. This is just good for yourself, incase you run into problems with the turbo in the future, you know what you are dealing with.

To answer your question though, no, you don't need to merge two pipes to get the turbo to spool. Like STS, single turbo for the V6 camaro is pretty much what you are looking for. Except they are mounted at the end. As long as the turbo is mounted as part of the exhaust stream, your turbo WILL spool up, regardless how big or small.

The beauty of running a V-type engine is that you can take advantage of the space and run twin turbos. Where as 4 bangers hardly run twins because of the lack of space. When people think turbo and V6, or V8, it's usually twin turbos. You have the right idea, and which is why the RX Turbo Kit is twin turbos after Cats (check them out if you havent). Personally, for the sake of it, I would run twins, check out RX, i think they have what you are looking for.

Also, incase you dont know how turbos work, heres the dumbed down version.

Exhaust gas spools turbo, and the turbine spinning from exhaust is connected to turbine of the compressor, which has a filter (like our intakes). This gulps in huge amounts of air, FAST, sending the compressed airflow into our intercoolers, which cools the air and makes it's way into our intake manifold. Because Cold air is denser, which means more air molecules, also means more air molecules per cylinder it has the potential to create a lot more power than NA. Of course, with more air, sometimes requires a new fuel pump, and you'll always need to run higher octane to prevent engine knock.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
Nique303

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
lol. No bashing here, but you MIGHT want to reconsider doing turbos until you know how they work. This is just good for yourself, incase you run into problems with the turbo in the future, you know what you are dealing with.

To answer your question though, no, you don't need to merge two pipes to get the turbo to spool. Like STS, single turbo for the V6 camaro is pretty much what you are looking for. Except they are mounted at the end. As long as the turbo is mounted as part of the exhaust stream, your turbo WILL spool up, regardless how big or small.

The beauty of running a V-type engine is that you can take advantage of the space and run twin turbos. Where as 4 bangers hardly run twins because of the lack of space. When people think turbo and V6, or V8, it's usually twin turbos. You have the right idea, and which is why the RX Turbo Kit is twin turbos after Cats (check them out if you havent). Personally, for the sake of it, I would run twins, check out RX, i think they have what you are looking for.

Also, incase you dont know how turbos work, heres the dumbed down version.

Exhaust gas spools turbo, and the turbine spinning from exhaust is connected to turbine of the compressor, which has a filter (like our intakes). This gulps in huge amounts of air, FAST, sending the compressed airflow into our intercoolers, which cools the air and makes it's way into our intake manifold. Because Cold air is denser, which means more air molecules, also means more air molecules per cylinder it has the potential to create a lot more power than NA. Of course, with more air, sometimes requires a new fuel pump, and you'll always need to run higher octane to prevent engine knock.

cool man thanks for the help/ i got how they work just was not 100% on weather or not the turbo would spool up off one exhaust pipe BUT again thanks for the info!
ZEX NITROUS KIT
REAR WINDOW LOUVER
CUSTOM PAINTED RIMS
CUSTOM PAINTED CALIPERS
WHITE RACING STRIPES
METRA KIT INSTALLED
PIONEER TOUCH SCREEN DVD
1-12INCH PRIMIER SHALLOW MOUNT SUB
800 WATT SINGLE CHANNEL PIONEER AMP
FRONT AND REAR LIGHT BLACK OUT KIT
Nique303 is offline   Reply With Quote