Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Volt concept;; Then & Now

I was looking on Google images of the Volt, and I saw a picture of the concept, and the production version of the Volt. They look completely different!

IMHO I think the production version looks way better than the concept.

Concept

Production

Last edited by Overflow; 04-30-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
faninc

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS in SIM
I like the proto. I remember seeing at the NYC car show with the proto Camaro- those were the two cars with all the attention! Thankfully the Camaro proto and production did not change too much.
faninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
FxsX24

Drives: S10 283 V8,Jimmy 4wd 4dr bk/bk
the "production" pic is not a production car, just something made up for transformers. notice no power plug door in the front fender. and the " thick rims" aka hubcaps
FxsX24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
KnightRiderSS
Voodoo Medicine Man

Drives: Black 2SS with RS package
I liked the concept much better personally...I would have considered one if it looked like that into production...
Old 04-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FxsX24 View Post
the "production" pic is not a production car, just something made up for transformers. notice no power plug door in the front fender. and the " thick rims" aka hubcaps

I know.

But that picture was the closest to the prototype. Im just pure lazy.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I think the Camaro kept most of it's Auto Show/Prototype styling due to aero not being so important as the styling.

From what I remember reading about the Volt, that first version was styled more for auto show appeal and asthetics, but when it hit the wind tunnel - oops, an aero brick. So the production version got much more streamlined and aero finessed to achieve a real energy efficient aero shape.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
I gotta disagree. IMO, the production looks ten times better.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Production model looks and performs MUCH better than the brick that was the Volt Concept.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:46 PM   #9
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Production model looks and performs MUCH better than the brick that was the Volt Concept.
meh I like the way it looks but It seems like this would be a concept for the new g8
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:18 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
I was looking on Google images of the Volt, and I saw a picture of the concept, and the production version of the Volt. They look completely different!

IMHO I think the production version looks way better than the concept.

Concept

Production

There, I fixed it.

Overall, I'd say the production version looks a lot like the concept skin grafted onto a Cruze body. I don't have a problem with it ... form follows function, especially in a car where engineers are running the show. Would be interesting to see if GM would ever consider making some sort of small, sporty 2 seater (similar to the Solstice/Sky) and in addition to the conventional powertrian, throw a Voltec powertrain in there too. And give it proportions similar to the 2007 Volt concept.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #11
Sevn86

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRiderSS View Post
I liked the concept much better personally...I would have considered one if it looked like that into production...
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:07 AM   #12
Markal
White Lightnin

Drives: 2010 Summit White Camaro LS
Yeah...the concept is designed as an attention getter....than they tone it down for Mr. and Ms. american. WHY? Did they poll anyone on their opinions? Did they ask anyone if they would buy it if it looked like the original concept? No....they just tone it down thinking this is what they want...this is what will sell and its easier for us at Chevrolet to build....they have no clue as to how many more would sell if they kept the original concept....I say it would sell well over even their own expectations....playing it safe....SUCKS!!! The 2010 Camaro was very close to the original concept and is still a strong seller.
Chevy....sell one Volt as a old lady version and sell one as the concept....the concept will outsell the old lady version 10 to 1. NO DOUBT! Don't try to align it with certain platforms or make it easy for you....we don't want something easy or something that has been done before....we want something different...something cool, modern and very efficient.
I'd buy one tomorrow if it looked like the concept car and will make fun of anyone purchasing the current Volt design....it looks Asian....it looks like Toyota...Prius....it looks like every other car out there....PLAIN and SIMPLE. Chevy if you want to be the car company of the future....you have to take risks and design cars that look different...the Volt concept car was different and COOL....BUILD IT....they will come in droves....JEEZZZZ why can't you get it?!!!
I see grayed haired ladies driving Mustangs and Vettes everyday.....do you really think we want this overly consertive rounded, Asian rip-off, bubble design....WOW...you really are lost and have no clue! Sorry the Volt design sould be renamed....Re-volt...or Spew....as this simpileton design makes me want too.....er....oh....speeeeeeew!!!!! Sorry, Chevy your current design SUCKS and I predict with confidence you will not meet your sales goals!!! Make the design closer to the concept....sales will skyrocket!
The concept looks more Cadillac/high quality....the production looks Asian. What is this "Brick" thing with the concept version...thats no brick...I see a lower line and smoother edges...its a nasty rumor so Chevy can put it on the cheaper Cruze platform rather than the Cadillac?....the production model makes me want to spew. Its a Prius....its a Honda....its a Mitsubishi....its cheap looking....its so common...sales will tell all. I bet fail!

Last edited by Markal; 04-30-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Markal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:04 AM   #13
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markal View Post
Yeah...the concept is designed as an attention getter....than they tone it down for Mr. and Ms. american. WHY? Did they poll anyone on their opinions? Did they ask anyone if they would buy it if it looked like the original concept? No....they just tone it down thinking this is what they want...this is what will sell and its easier for us at Chevrolet to build....they have no clue as to how many more would sell if they kept the original concept....I say it would sell well over even their own expectations....playing it safe....SUCKS!!! The 2010 Camaro was very close to the original concept and is still a strong seller.
Chevy....sell one Volt as a old lady version and sell one as the concept....the concept will outsell the old lady version 10 to 1. NO DOUBT! Don't try to align it with certain platforms or make it easy for you....we don't want something easy or something that has been done before....we want something different...something cool, modern and very efficient.
I'd buy one tomorrow if it looked like the concept car and will make fun of anyone purchasing the current Volt design....it looks Asian....it looks like Toyota...Prius....it looks like every other car out there....PLAIN and SIMPLE. Chevy if you want to be the car company of the future....you have to take risks and design cars that look different...the Volt concept car was different and COOL....BUILD IT....they will come in droves....JEEZZZZ why can't you get it?!!!
I see grayed haired ladies driving Mustangs and Vettes everyday.....do you really think we want this overly consertive rounded, Asian rip-off, bubble design....WOW...you really are lost and have no clue! Sorry the Volt design sould be renamed....Re-volt...or Spew....as this simpileton design makes me want too.....er....oh....speeeeeeew!!!!! Sorry, Chevy your current design SUCKS and I predict with confidence you will not meet your sales goals!!! Make the design closer to the concept....sales will skyrocket!
The concept looks more Cadillac/high quality....the production looks Asian. What is this "Brick" thing with the concept version...thats no brick...I see a lower line and smoother edges...its a nasty rumor so Chevy can put it on the cheaper Cruze platform rather than the Cadillac?....the production model makes me want to spew. Its a Prius....its a Honda....its a Mitsubishi....its cheap looking....its so common...sales will tell all. I bet fail!

Let's rip this post apart, shall we?

Why was GM forced to redesign the Volt from the original concept? Because the concept performed so horribly in the wind tunnel that Bob Lutz joked it'd probably work better if they stuck it in backwards. When designing an ultra-fuel efficient car, bad aerodynamics can kill the project in a heartbeat. The Camaro being close to the concept has nothing to do with the Volt.

The concept wouldn't outsell the "old lady version" simply because consumers would take a look at the EV-only range of both cars and pick the production model. Furthermore, the Volt Concept is a very polarizing design, which isn't something you want to go for in this segment. Polarizing design can have a very negative effect on sales, as those who love the car will immediately buy it, but it'll take a lot of marketing and effort to get those on the fence to buy, and sales to those who hate the design are lost indefinitely.

The production model does look similar to other hybrids out there. Why? Because the teardrop shape of all these hybrids is the most aerodynamic model out there. GM has actually made quite a valiant effort to make the Volt appear more like a normal sedan rather than simply building a Prius with a Chevrolet badge. You can't deviate far from that teardrop shape without sacrificing aerodynamics.

Please refer to sales charts and tell me what the best-selling passenger car in America is right now. The vast majority of Americans don't give two sh*ts about design or an abomination like the Camry wouldn't be on top right now. The only reason the Volt may not reach its initial sales goals is due to supply constraint and the steep pricing on the current generation.

The concept is a brick. 100% brick. It doesn't work. You can whine all you want about how "good" it looks, looking good doesn't mean sh*t when it doesn't perform well. Function over form in this segment.

Now you're trying to start a conspiracy about GM switching the Volt from a Cadillac platform to a Chevrolet? What Cadillac platform is FWD? Theta-Epsilon (SRX) and K-body (DTS). Neither one of those are able to support the Voltec powertrain. The Volt has ALWAYS been destined for Delta-II.

Sales are telling all. The Volt is destroying its only competitor, the Nissan Leaf.

Research, my friend. Try to be informed before you make another complete fail of a post like the one you just made.

Last edited by FenwickHockey65; 04-30-2011 at 04:28 AM.
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:26 AM   #14
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
I liked the Volt Concept, but once i seen the new revised Volt, it looked much better!
Plus, as you guys re-iterated, the production model isn't a brick.

And i did hear the part about Lutz mentioning the concept Volt would probably work better if they put it in backwards! lol!