Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #99
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
In a heart beat. Heck I'm hoping for a bolt on IRS offering...
http://www.mustangirs.com/products.php
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #100
FxsX24

Drives: S10 283 V8,Jimmy 4wd 4dr bk/bk
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Are you now talking about an SS?

he has a SS with race brakes, i am comparing to the stock ZL1 brakes
FxsX24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #101
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FxsX24 View Post
source is member Bob196 (who does not post), he took his car to watkins glen for a HPDE event (was his 3rd event, moved up to middle class) and was limited my the stopping distance of the car.
he could wait 150 feet more with the SS and a set of racing brakes (less speed into the corner with the ss also) for many corners.

they are good if you are a beginner , but when you are pushing the car, they are the detractor on the car in stock form

the stock brakes may be better with vs the stock SS brakes, but no comparison to a performance brake
No offense to your buddy, he sounds like an expert with three track days under his belt. I for one will take the pros/mags review of the ZL1 braking system as my proof that the brakes can handle the abuse of track days and pushing to the limits.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #102
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
As good as the ZL1 street pads are, they still aren't race pads. Street pads need to be formulated such that they have good bite when cold, and this comes at the expense of high temperature behavior/performance. Even performance street pads give up a little at the cool end, and are rarely fitted as OE because of this.

And as big as the rotors get, they can and will heat up to somewhere above where street pads are still fully effective if you beat on them hard enough.

Perhaps the ZL1 brakes won't lose much on a circuit that isn't particularly hard on brakes, or with a driver who isn't using them 100% hard all of the time. But that doesn't guarantee that they'll behave that nicely on a brake-intensive track with a late-braking driver.

Please respect the concept that you just might be able to ask more from them out on the track than they can give. The alternative is somewhat less pleasant than discussing it ahead of time.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #103
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

How'd we drift this far from the original topic?

So I'll ask an "on-topic" question - are there any efforts going on that would enable the individual car owner to tweak the MRC tuning as a means of tuning the transient handling behavior? Or is there no choice but to accept Chevy's tuning?

Norm
Old 07-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #104
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Check with PEDDERS...Pete is about as up-to-date as anyone in the aftermarket with regard to what can/cannot be done to enhance MRC-3.

Shoot him a pm @ "Justice Pete", here.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #105
obzidian

Drives: 98 camaro turbo
These mustang/5.0 guys remind me of liberal left. So delusional that they start to believe their own BS. lol

The ZL1 and the GT500 are fantastic cars. Anyone here would have fun in either car. The ZL1 is tailored to go against the older gt500 while the 2013 is clearly not built to go against the ZL1.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #106
FxsX24

Drives: S10 283 V8,Jimmy 4wd 4dr bk/bk
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
No offense to your buddy, he sounds like an expert with three track days under his belt. I for one will take the pros/mags review of the ZL1 braking system as my proof that the brakes can handle the abuse of track days and pushing to the limits.
as said below, the Zl1 brakes may be a step above the SS brakes, but they can be pushed to far. and in this case they are holding the car back on the track
FxsX24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #107
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by obzidian View Post
These mustang/5.0 guys remind me of liberal left. So delusional that they start to believe their own BS. lol
I think you have to take this thread within its own context, separate from any Mustang fanboy fanaticism that you may have imagined was in the topic start.

Ride quality is tied to the ratio of sprung mass (the chassis, body, everything in it, including about half of the suspension and half of the half-shafts) to unsprung (wheels, tires, brakes, and the rest of the suspension and half-shafts). The higher this ratio gets, the better the ride can potentially be made.

Where's this going? Well, at over 4000# and with IRS the ZL1 Camaro is already in a pretty good position, and certainly is ahead in this regard with respect to its main competitor. Fender's point (the way I see it, anyway) is that the MRC should be even more valuable at some lower weight point - where the ratio of sprung to unsprung would not be as good. IOW, it would present the MRC technology in an even better light. What's not to like about that?

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-10-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #108
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
How'd we drift this far from the original topic?

So I'll ask an "on-topic" question - are there any efforts going on that would enable the individual car owner to tweak the MRC tuning as a means of tuning the transient handling behavior? Or is there no choice but to accept Chevy's tuning?

Norm
Norm,

I’m no expert but I believe the MRC controller is locked for owner and aftermarket. It would definitely be cool to either be able to tweak the factory settings with predetermined adjustments or enter a calibration of your own (as complex as this would be). Same for PTM modes, etc.

dougshelbyengineering.com

www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering

www.instagram.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #109
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMZL1 View Post
Norm,

I’m no expert but I believe the MRC controller is locked for owner and aftermarket. It would definitely be cool to either be able to tweak the factory settings with predetermined adjustments or enter a calibration of your own (as complex as this would be). Same for PTM modes, etc.
They are currently locked down as tight as the ABS modules.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #110
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Was afraid of that. Not particularly surprised, though.

Norm
Old 07-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #111
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I think you have to take this thread within its own context, separate from any Mustang fanboy fanaticism that you may have imagined was in the topic start.

Ride quality is tied to the ratio of sprung mass (the chassis, body, everything in it, including about half of the suspension and half of the half-shafts) to unsprung (wheels, tires, brakes, and the rest of the suspension and half-shafts). The higher this ratio gets, the better the ride can potentially be made.

Where's this going? Well, at over 4000# and with IRS the ZL1 Camaro is already in a pretty good position, and certainly is ahead in this regard with respect to its main competitor. Fender's point (the way I see it, anyway) is that the MRC should be even more valuable at some lower weight point - where the ratio of sprung to unsprung would not be as good. IOW, it would present the MRC technology in an even better light. What's not to like about that?

Norm
Thank you Norm. I appreciate someone reading my post for what it was rather than noting I currently have a Mustang and making assumptions from that.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote