Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #15
avol2
2G1FT1EWXA9104709

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
I saw pics the dark wheels are not as dark as you'd think

~~~~~~~~~~~
Julie
aka aVOL2 (because I ride a VOLusia Too)
avol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #16
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
when I chatted with Scott (fbodfather) at the philly auto show he stated that you can turn off the foglights/daytime running lights with the RS package.

When you turn on your running lights/side marker lights the Halos come on with them.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #17
pruettfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
Always seems a little strange how folks get bent out of shape over various headlight switchs.
As far as HID conversion. To do a factory conversion I suspect will cost quite a bit. I am sure it can be done but doubt that the factory will make it cheap. Generally GM sells each component needed for something like this seperately.
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #18
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
when I chatted with Scott (fbodfather) at the philly auto show he stated that you can turn off the foglights/daytime running lights with the RS package.

When you turn on your running lights/side marker lights the Halos come on with them.
I think you're missing the point that's trying to be made...took me a minute to get it too....

With RS package.....

During the day...you CAN turn off the 'fog' lights (which serve as DRL)

At night...when you turn on the Headlights (HID)...you CAN NOT turn off the 'fog' lights as there is not a separate switch for them (as they serve as the DRL)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

The bad part is...as someone mentioned...halogen lamps as fog lights look strange when the headlights are HID.

If this is correct...looks like one of my early mods will be to rewire the fog lamps to a new switch. Looks like we'll need the part # for the switch that's installed in the non-RS cars...****calling CamaroScotty...calling CamaroScotty*****
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #19
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbusa View Post
With all the extras on the rs pkg, it is well worth the 1200.00

What about the package wouldn't someone want?
Body colored gutter strips are nice... better than black...
The head lights alone are worth it to have factory/stock on the vehicle, the RED SS or the RS logos look nice, the darker tail lamps are cool (if you want darker just get some darker ones anyway again the HID's alone are worth the cost) What did I miss? I'm missing something...
Old 04-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #20
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
I think you're missing the point that's trying to be made...took me a minute to get it too....

With RS package.....

During the day...you CAN turn off the 'fog' lights (which serve as DRL)

At night...when you turn on the Headlights (HID)...you CAN NOT turn off the 'fog' lights as there is not a separate switch for them (as they serve as the DRL)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

The bad part is...as someone mentioned...halogen lamps as fog lights look strange when the headlights are HID.

If this is correct...looks like one of my early mods will be to rewire the fog lamps to a new switch. Looks like we'll need the part # for the switch that's installed in the non-RS cars...****calling CamaroScotty...calling CamaroScotty*****
When you turn on the HID's, the fog lamps turn off...Technically they are not fog lamps with the RS package since they are not needed when you have HID's. What they are are daylight running lamps only and are for decoration purposes as well..
Old 04-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #21
SWHCPA
Snow White can be naughty

Drives: '10 Camaro/'67 Mustang
Send a message via AIM to SWHCPA Send a message via Yahoo to SWHCPA Send a message via Skype™ to SWHCPA
If you've never been around DRL's, guys, you don't know what you are missing. They are literally wonderful things to help you be seen in traffic in the daytime. They really add to safety as other traffic will see you coming.

At night, they're OFF...like the description says, DAYTIME running lamps. They will be controlled as fog lamps when the HID's are on or will be totally overridden...either way is a good thing.

Yes, they will be available from the parts department. Think front end collision replacements. But, the question will be "can you afford them" and can you install them yourself? HID's have a really biga$$ed capacitor in them to store energy to fire them up. One misstep around that thing and you'll light yourself up like a cheap roman candle...no kidding. You should find a BMW X5 and read the warning label on theirs.

It's a lighting system, people, not an incurable disease diagnosis. You'll live through it somehow....
SWHCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:18 PM   #22
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
When you turn on the HID's, the fog lamps turn off..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWHCPA View Post
At night, they're OFF...like the description says, DAYTIME running lamps. They will be controlled as fog lamps when the HID's are on or will be totally overridden...either way is a good thing.
Is this a 'fact' as you've witnessed or speculation? (just curious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWHCPA View Post
It's a lighting system, people, not an incurable disease diagnosis. You'll live through it somehow....
Jesus...no ones freaking out...just having a discussion...no need for a comment like this.
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #23
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
The fog lamps on a RS model will ONLY be on during the day.

Turn the switch to the parking lights, and halos and side markers come on, fogs off.

One more click and the HID's come on with halos still on.

You cannot control the fog lights at all, they are only for DRL's. I'm not sure if you can over ride them and turn off during the day, me and Number 3 were confusing oursevles.

I played with fbodfathers yellow car, "Thor" when Number 3 drove it to Orlando.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #24
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
It looks like there is an off option. If it follows the precedent of other GM models, DRLs (foglamps on RS package) will default to on in the daylight, but can be manually switched off. Every time the car is turned off and then back on it will default to DRLs on.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #25
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
It looks like there is an off option. If it follows the precedent of other GM models, DRLs (foglamps on RS package) will default to on in the daylight, but can be manually switched off. Every time the car is turned off and then back on it will default to DRLs on.
Yes you can switch the DRL's off in the daytime. However at night they automatically turn off once the car senses it is nighttime and the HID's turn on with the Halo's. stovt001 above explains that you can turn of the DRL during the day manually everytime you start the car and control the Halo as well as the HID's wether you want to run them or not..
Old 04-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #26
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Yes you can switch the DRL's off in the daytime. However at night they automatically turn off once the car senses it is nighttime and the HID's turn on with the Halo's. stovt001 above explains that you can turn of the DRL during the day manually everytime you start the car and control the Halo as well as the HID's wether you want to run them or not..
Thanks for confirming they will turn off during the day. I know you can switch to the off symbol but I wasn't sure if it was to just turn off the hid's and halos if its already dark.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #27
jmoser

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
I went to the training session for the Phoenix area yesterday and asked the specific question about changing out the factory bulbs with the HID's. I was told it is not possible. I asked for more information and was not given a complete answer of why. I do know that I have put HID's in before and it required a ballast to be installed. I personally was not able to see a ballast but I did not have too much time to look and I was not allowed to remove anything, it also looked pretty tight where the headlights are. I can see why it is one of the reasons the battery is in the trunk(also for heat).

The pictures are of the 2SS Engine without the body matched engine cover, I also included the body matched engine cover for the V8(yellow), and the SS badge on the headrest with the Inferno Orange interior package. I also took a picture of the RS Halo Headlights from the V6. Sorry about the pictures being so big, I do not know how to downsize them. Have a great weekend everyone.

Jason Moser
Sands Chevrolet
Glendale, AZ
jmoser@sandschevrolet.com
Direct 623-463-2950
Attached Images

jmoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #28
DOM P

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to DOM P
so from what im reading here i will be able to add the HID lights at a later time since my dealer forgot to add the RS package?
DOM P is offline   Reply With Quote