Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 02:45 AM   #1
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!

First off...

DO NOT GET A FLAT WHICH REQUIRES REPLACING A TIRE!!!

EDIT: For the pix below, I stuck the knife back in the tire just BARELY to show how it went in. The knife was all the way in the tire when they pulled it out.
Here's the story.

I wanted to add my JL 12" W3 sub in my car and my JL 250x1 amp. I ran over to Custom Sounds in San Antonio to get an estimate and found it was going to be $450 all inclusive....to buy the amp kit, the inline amp adapter, wire the system, build a custom box, and install everything. The carpet was to match as well. It was going to be a ported 12" box behind the rear seat that would be louder than my 10 and 12 combined with sealed boxes.

So, after the installer checks it out, he says he's going to put the box on the side and make it an enclosed box. Well, I kinda wanted enclosed, but now it was not going to be as loud....grrr. Then, I'm told the carpet won't be an exact match, but it will be damn close. Ok...strike 2. Then, I'm told the install will be even more difficult so it will be another $75. Strike 3! I was boiling over and let one of the guys know I was pissed...as the manager ran back and forth twice from the back to check w/ the installer.

I said screw it...I'm not going to put up with the 3 strikes and i"m outta here. I got two calls over the next 10 minutes trying to get me back. A deal was made and I went back...original price and let's hear the 12 before making any decisions.

I drop off the car. It's fine. I get the manager. He comes out with me and drives my car around the back. It drives fine. He parks it. My wife says I left on the headlights. I drive around to check and make sure they are off. My car is parked...the wheel is fine and the lights are off.

About 2 hours later, I'm called with, "I've got some bad news. You have a flat." It's no problem for me...I can just run to get it fixed. He offers to have a bud fix it. I say no as I want to help out and see what happened. Well, I get there and the thing that punctured it??? It was a freaking broken knife!!! I take it to Discount tire and proceed to wait an HOUR before someone even looks at it for not more than 10 seconds when they look back and say the tire is toast. They can try to fix it, but it won't work. It'll take 3 to 4 plugs to fix it and that might still come out.

It gets better.

They say it will be a week to get another tire. The closest one is in Dallas, TX. You GOT to be kidding me.........

I call Custom Sounds. They say to bring it back and talk. I show up and am basically told that they REFUSED to fix the tire...even though it went flat while in THEIR possession by a knife that could have been easily used by an installer who...say...cuts carpet, wires, etc. Well, they refused to fix the tire and said I could not prove that it was them. They say I must have picked it up while on the way to the store and it just "didn't go flat until later." Bullshit. Complete....

I was supposed to have the car back Monday. However, no tire equals no car. Tuesday rolls around and the manger is supposed to call me in the morning. NO call. I order another tire from GM knowing that this dude isn't going to follow through like he should to make the situation right. GM says it's on the way and would be there at 5pm or so. Well, I have to be to work by then so that means I'm out of my car for ANOTHER day. Meanwhile, I'm FUMING thinking that maybe someone knew I was pissed, knew I was an officer, and MAYBE they decided to do this to my car on purpose...and what ELSE could they be doing. Oh boy....I got concerned.

Wed morning rolls around and I have all my plans to get my tire from GM and get this done. Alarm goes off....time to take the boys to their swim class. DANG!!! I forgot about that! So, off to class we go and now I'm stressing thinking we won't get it done before I have to go to work. I stay w/ the boys and mamma goes to get the rim from the stereo shop to take to Ancira. I get a call.

"Hon...they ordered you the wrong tire. The guy didn't order from the computer screen....he went up to the car on display and checked the front right tire on that car." I said, "WHAT?!?!?!?!" I mean...how difficult is it to look up the right tire on the computer. CRAZY. So, they order another one and now I won't be able to get it until later....when I'm supposed to be at work again!

They send someone to get the tire asap. They get the tire 3 hours later, mount and balance it....meanwhile, I'm in court testifying over a DWI....and the manager from Custom Sounds is cool enough to go pick up the tire and put it back on the car for me. I get out of court and go pick up my car after having just paid $532 for a new 20" Pirelli PZero tire. Holy Jeeeeez.....

I spend another $489 for the install.....which sounds GREAT, I might add....(I'll put up pix later of that).....

I am getting insurance involved. Maybe THEY can get the insurance company of the shop to pay. It was fine when I parked it and when he drove it. What the hell happened???

I know that if it were in my possession when the tire went flat, I would have EASILY taken responsibility. But, it wasn't. I don't feel I"m responsible.

None the less....

I paid for the tire and we'll see how insurance figures all this mess out.

How freaking stressful....
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2009, 02:57 AM   #2
tsg1391

Drives: 79 formula 'bird, 5th gen soon
wow i would be infuriated, but i suggest getting road hazard insurance. i had a similar thing happen to my tire with a box knife blade and it was 16 dollars to replace a 300 dollar tire, no questions asked.

Its legit, you just need to fill out a bunch of boring surveys.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:02 AM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsg1391 View Post
wow i would be infuriated, but i suggest getting road hazard insurance. i had a similar thing happen to my tire with a box knife blade and it was 16 dollars to replace a 300 dollar tire, no questions asked.
Agreed 100%. I NEVER even thought about it until it was too late. In fact, I think (even though it's too late for this one), I'll go back and see if I can buy roadhazard insurance since it runs $534 for a new tire!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 03:02 AM   #4
Baughman

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
Geez Tag, that's horrible and definately looks and sounds a little fishy. Hope everything works out for you and everything is made right on your behalf.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:08 AM   #5
Watchamacoolitt
KJ

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS,MT6 sunroof
Send a message via AIM to Watchamacoolitt
wow! I'm sorry for the troubles you went through. Feels pretty stressing going through all that. But I want to see a pic of the set-up you did. I'm thinking of putting some subs, but don't know what to do yet.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:21 AM   #6
my2010camaross
ss

Drives: all black ss
i want to know why the could not fix it. I worked at ntb and i know for a fact that there had been several times that tires were not able to be fixed. By looking at this picture, and seeing where it is in the tread, looks from my observation it could have been fixed.
Associates at both companies use this excuse to make you buy a new tire. Hope you received some credit on the tire and got road hazard.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:23 AM   #7
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Dude, you should have told them you were going to place them under arrest if they didn't hone up to what they did. By the way, that was NO accident. You just don't accidently run over a knife like that. Demand they confess and repay you for the tire. I'm sorry dude!!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 03:46 AM   #8
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
Sorry to hear this, now that you're back on the road I dare say as an old fart, What do all you guy's need these sub woofers for anyway. That's not really how music was mean't to be listened to. Bass guitars and kick drums do not really sound the way they do through sub woofers. They are a waste of money and a public enemy. Please don't flame me, I'm an old fart musician who grew up on, plays, and listens to 70's and 80's rock.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:50 AM   #9
my2010camaross
ss

Drives: all black ss
I am sure you are one of several that feel this way. Me on the other hand, I'm 19 and listen to pretty much everything from skynard to jay z so to me it increases the listening compacity and if done correctly, sounds great as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by songsj View Post
Sorry to hear this, now that you're back on the road I dare say as an old fart, What do all you guy's need these sub woofers for anyway. That's not really how music was mean't to be listened to. Bass guitars and kick drums do not really sound the way they do through sub woofers. They are a waste of money and a public enemy. Please don't flame me, I'm an old fart musician who grew up on, plays, and listens to 70's and 80's rock.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:06 AM   #10
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
Actually the first subs were designed for [ and got their name from] subsonic frequencies. In a perfect situation they really should only be amplifying fequencies below what the human ear can hear. They are the frequencies you feel like a kick drum beat or thunder in a storm. Most original uses were in theaters and home theater application to give you a more realistic feel with things like explosions, thunder etc. They raise heck with bass guitars ect and have a tendency to make the lows sound muddy. Loud yes, but usually muddy. That being said I understand what it's like to be young. Most music that is recorded and mixed for systems with a sub-woofer is created for a generation much younger than mine. That is cool,one day you'll grow old and there will be something new that kids of the future will dig and you will think they are crazy.
It's times way of playing tricks on us. Enjoy your new car and stereo, sub and all!!!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 04:09 AM   #11
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
Looks like it could have been patched. I don't think they even use plugs anymore. The fix it from the inside.
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
Old 07-10-2009, 05:08 AM   #12
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Plugs!! What the F. Pull the tire and do a patch on the inside of the tire. I took a 1 and 1/2 inch round bolt from a trailer hitch thru a tire. The patched it on the inside and I went and bought some shoe sole goop and pulled open the hole some and filled it with that.

Ran fine for another 20K miles.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:04 AM   #13
Krobar

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Ann SS
I would make the audio place pay for your tire. Even though they say it isn't there fault you know damn well one of their jerk off installers did it. So gather some less than reputable friends and visit them with the repair bill and tell them to pay you right now. If all else fails the phrase that always seals the deal..." Apparently you have under estimated the type of person that I am." It works every time, as long as you are calm, say it like you mean it, and you and your friends look as though you might rip the walls down. But don't threaten, you can go to jail for that, found that out the hard way. If you get insurance involved they mark it against you, and won't accomplish much. JMHO cause it has always worked for me.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:11 AM   #14
Justcallme61

Drives: 2000 honda accord v6
I would definitely file a complaint with your BBB...

Closed Thread