Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 10-26-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
sstrixx

Drives: '14 Camaro 2SS/RS
1st winter, 1st camaro

Hey guys,

This is my 1st ever post here for my 1st ever camaro and it's 1st ever winter lol. I picked her up last thursday and shes a 2ss. We live in Toronto and if this winter is anything like last winter I think I'm in trouble. I'm pretty good with transit here but worst case scenario if I need to take my car out, I'm pretty sure those pirellis won't stand a chance. With that being said is there anyone here that drives their SS in the winter? If so what did you do for winter tires? I know a guy with a tire shop but I'm just debating on whether to just swap the rubber on the rims or get winter tires and steelies.

Thoughts and suggestions? thanks!
sstrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
Store it and buy a beater for the winter. The salt damage and chances of getting wrecked by yourself or some other idiot will really take a toll on your new car. Not to mention the rear wheel drive and V8 power !
Old 10-26-2014, 10:12 PM   #3
luckynuts

Drives: 10 ABM 1SS/00 Z28 Conv/14 SumWh 2LT
Welcome aboard. I put my cars away but most guys run 18's for the winter and say the car is actually decent in the snow. Watch some of the for sale sections and often you can find some decent deals on rims and tires.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
Red Jewel RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
These cars do great in the snow. It all comes down to tires. I have continental DWS and drove thru a lot of snow and ice last year. Remember GM tested these car in winter as well. Get some good snow tires. Trust your car nannies and be smart in your driving. They are not a 4 wheel drive truck but they will get you around.
Red Jewel RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:51 PM   #5
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
We don't have a lot of snow fall.. and once its plowed, we be good. Just get some tires though, as you are correct - no way the Pirellis will work.

18's and snows will work fine.. using the advise in the post above.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:13 PM   #6
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I picked up a used set of SS wheels and put a set of new Blizzaks on and have had no issues going anywhere with my car. I've always had AWD cars for driving through the mountains in the Winter but the Camaro has done just fine. Just get decent Winter tires and not some cheap knock offs and you'll be just fine. Move quick though as we are already running short on some Winter tires in Canada and some of the more popular brands have already sold out for this year.

And welcome to C5, you'll learn a lot from here.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
Well, I guess I'm in the minority on here so forget my advice and I hope it all works out well for you.

I personally just can't justifying spending $40-$50 grand on a nice car and putting through all that salt and crap on the roads during the winter months. Better have lots of Expel or 3M all over the front.
Makes me shutter driving down the road listening to the rock salt, ice and slush bouncing off the front of my other cars.
Nope, can't do it !!
Old 10-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #8
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
I drove my 2012 2SS/RS in both winters since I bought the car new in June of 2012.

Honestly, it was the best car ive personally ever has the pleasure of driving IN the winter. I too live in the GTA and never, not even once did I get stuck on the roads, anywhere, during ANY crazy conditions. That brutal winter we had last year didnt stop me and my Camaro.

As long as you put winter tires on the car, you will be fine. These cars give you lots of confidence and feedback, you'll know if you're pushing the car beyond its capabilities, even in the winter.

And being RWD with a V8, the snow gives you plenty of chance to have lots of fun and learn to control these beasts in almost any situation.

This year Im driving a beater since I can afford too have both cars on the road now, but if the SS is the only car you have (much like myself over the passed few years) than I wouldnt hesitate to drive it for the winter.

The heated seats go a long way!

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
smarbrit

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMY1LE View Post
Well, I guess I'm in the minority on here so forget my advice and I hope it all works out well for you.

I personally just can't justifying spending $40-$50 grand on a nice car and putting through all that salt and crap on the roads during the winter months. Better have lots of Expel or 3M all over the front.
Makes me shutter driving down the road listening to the rock salt, ice and slush bouncing off the front of my other cars.
Nope, can't do it !!
It definitely sucks and the cars do take a beating for sure but with the right prep work before the snow flies, the cars stand up quite well. Last winter was brutal and I wished I could have parked it, but it wasn't an option.

I have driven my 2SS for the past 2 winters. I bought a set of 19" Elbrus wheels and Blizzaks on all 4 corners, you can't go less than 19" due to the Brembos.

I also give the car a good detail and keep it waxed over the winter as much as possible, wash as soon as I can. There have been times due to the depth of the snow that she sat - deeper than my splitter, but that was when I got caught in a storm at my parents acreage.

The car handles extremely well (with the right tires) and I am honestly more confident driving in the winter than on the summer tires. It will take some adjusting your driving habits, sometimes having to start in 2nd gear, no down shifting (if manual), and foot off the gas....lol Take it easy and just like you would in any other vehicle, watch out for the other morons on the road. I've only ever had 1 winter accident, and that was the other driver's fault for driving too fast for the conditions, lost control and spun into us head on.

If you can park it, do so, or buy a beater as others have said for what you'll spend on tires. Or drive it and enjoy a different kind of fun in the winter....
smarbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #10
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMY1LE View Post

Nope, can't do it !!
My ZL is my DD and I have another toy in the garage. Honestly it's not about the price of the car as my AWD loaded cars were in the $50-60K range, hell a loaded diesel pick-up is more than a Camaro. I totally understand that a lot of these cars are the pride and joy and will never see bad roads but at this point these cars are not rare or particularly exclusive in the big picture.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:07 PM   #11
sstrixx

Oh man you guys are awesome. I'm going to be emailing my tire guy ASAP. I do agree with you SSMY1LE on storing the car if you can, but this winter is not an option. Next winter will be a different story. I'm glad we have a hose in our underground so I can get all the nasty crap off of her after running through the snow.

I've already learned quite a bit since joining. I've always had a love for camaro's and now that I have my own the love is on a whole new level!
Old 10-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #12
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
These things are great in the snow.

Great heater,heated mirrors,seats,and great wipers its meant for winter

I am running Blizzaks 245/40/20 all the way around on the stock rims(painted black of course
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #13
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
BTW get some of the custom fit Weathertech mats/trays.

You can get them through CTC now it takes a week.

One more BTW.... no steelies are fitting over your Brembos.

Get a set of stock SS rims off kijiji.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #14
sstrixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
BTW get some of the custom fit Weathertech mats/trays.

You can get them through CTC now it takes a week.

One more BTW.... no steelies are fitting over your Brembos.

Get a set of stock SS rims off kijiji.
Thanks!

There's only one guy on kijiji selling his blizzaks on stock ss rims for 1500. The tires have 8000k on it with 90% left. Thoughts? My guy hasn't gotten back to me yet.