Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
Question Help With Choosing Valves for Stroker Build...

I'm in the very early stages of researching and deciding what to include in my 416 stroker build and I'd really appreciate any feedback you guys could give me on choosing the right valves (Titanium, Hollow, or Plain Stainless).

I know that the LS3 comes with hollow stem valves stock, and that those valves aren't too bad, however, I want something stronger, A LOT stronger. I plan on keeping the 416 NA for a while and that means I'd like to run a fairly large cam. With that said, I'd hate to have to purchase a new motor after suffering a catastrophic failure from a dropped valve that couldn't handle the stress of the big cam. So what does everyone think? Titanium, hollow, or plain stainless Manley valves? Also, I don't plan on spinning it all the way to 7k (or at least I don't think so at the moment).

Additional info: I'm going with either WCCH or Mast for the heads if that matters. Maybe I should just put in a call to Richard at WCCH and see what he says?

At any rate, thanks for any help guys.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
For one I would recommend a Ferrea valve.
Titanium is OK for durability as long as its got a quality coating on it and not used in a DD environment. Solid is heavy and durable but hollow is lighter and going aftermarket will be more durable than OEM.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:29 AM   #3
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
For one I would recommend a Ferrea valve.
Titanium is OK for durability as long as its got a quality coating on it and not used in a DD environment. Solid is heavy and durable but hollow is lighter and going aftermarket will be more durable than OEM.
I see all these high hp builds running hollow valves, probably because they're spinning the motor real good, but what about long term durability with hollow valves? I've head that with an aggressive enough cam, a hollow valve is prone to breaking due to how fast it's being open and shut. Any truth to this?

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Old 07-21-2012, 01:31 AM   #4
S3XPanther
by Odeon

What about Rev valves? I see WCCH uses them regularly and I believe they're plain SS solid stem.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Bump

Old 07-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
if you dropped a valve, are you sure the valve was the cause of failure and not a spring or a retainer? I've never heard of a valve just breaking without being subject to some violent external force......

all you are looking at for valves is the shape and the weight, basically. light for high rpms and shape can affect flow.
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #7
S3XPanther
by Odeon

I never dropped a valve, I'm just trying my best to mitigate the chance of that happening on my future build. Hollow stem it is then? I was kind of set on going with LS9 style titanium valves, but apparently those aren't long enough. I could just have Ferrea just make me a custom set if you feel that would be the best route.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #8
S3XPanther
by Odeon

And thank you Higgs

Old 07-22-2012, 12:55 AM   #9
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
ive seen hollow valves broken off at the head before with the rest of the stem intact. its not common, but it does happen.

only the intake valves are hollow according to the gm performance catalog.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:58 AM   #10
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
ive seen hollow valves broken off at the head before with the rest of the stem intact. its not common, but it does happen.

only the intake valves are hollow according to the gm performance catalog.
I heard the same thing about the hollow valves as well. I'm using Tapatalk now, so I can't see your mods nightowl. If I'm not mistaken you're cammed as well, correct? Are you running the stock valves?

Old 07-22-2012, 01:04 AM   #11
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3XPanther View Post
I heard the same thing about the hollow valves as well. I'm using Tapatalk now, so I can't see your mods nightowl. If I'm not mistaken you're cammed as well, correct? Are you running the stock valves?
im running the gmpp cnc heads and valves. they have the hollow intakes also. i was concerned about it at first, but then i figured there are hundreds of thousands of these engines out there with hollow valves, and the amount of failures is very low. every failure i uncovered was on a cammed car though. i only found failures due to broken springs on the new camaros. the popped valves i found were on caddy's and corvettes.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:12 AM   #12
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Yea lol, springs are another concern Thought about nitrided springs, but I think I'll go with plain comp double springs suited to the cam.

I see what you're saying about the valves, I think I know the specific threads you're talking about. I'll do some more research and discuss things further with my builder.

Tags
heads, hollow, manley, titanium, valves