Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-15-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
2012 Camaro 2SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Orange black stripe
2SS Fuel problems! :(

Alright so I finally bought a Camaro which I'm stoked about. I bought a 2012 2SS the L99 engine. When I bought it from a Chevy dealer and drove it home I noticed that the MPG was quite lower than anticipated, figured after I drove it my way for a little it would increase so my questions are:
1. What are some problems (besides flooring it too much which I don't do) that would cause the mpg to decrease which it's always in the 14-15 range. I have a buddy with same Camaro plus lots of mods that gets better mpg so I'm confused.
2. The gas tanks are 20 gallons however when my needle goes to E and I fill it up it tops out at 17 gallons and along with that, comparing it to my buddies Camaro, I get around a 100 less miles out of my tank than his.

Thanks for the help
2012 Camaro 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:05 PM   #2
failshift
Banned

2SS Fuel problems! :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 Camaro 2SS View Post
Alright so I finally bought a Camaro which I'm stoked about. I bought a 2012 2SS the L99 engine. When I bought it from a Chevy dealer and drove it home I noticed that the MPG was quite lower than anticipated, figured after I drove it my way for a little it would increase so my questions are:

1. What are some problems (besides flooring it too much which I don't do) that would cause the mpg to decrease which it's always in the 14-15 range. I have a buddy with same Camaro plus lots of mods that gets better mpg so I'm confused.

2. The gas tanks are 20 gallons however when my needle goes to E and I fill it up it tops out at 17 gallons and along with that, comparing it to my buddies Camaro, I get around a 100 less miles out of my tank than his.

Thanks for the help

Driving style.
Bad tires
Improper tire pressure.
Clogged air filter.
failshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:12 PM   #3
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
I have a 13 2SS, city mpg runs around 15, interstate runs around 22mpg. These cars don't get great mpg, especially the V8s.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:13 PM   #4
failshift
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
I have a 13 2SS, city mpg runs around 15, interstate runs around 22mpg. These cars don't get great mpg, especially the V8s.

I can get over 28mpg Hwy at 600hp
Old 05-15-2016, 05:08 PM   #5
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
The driver can make as much as 40% difference in fuel economy, so that's the biggest factor. There are a lot of other smaller factors that can add up, tire pressure, alignment, air filter, weather, road surface type etc.

how many miles have you driven it and what average are you seeing? You'll see short term mileage all over the board from single digits to 30's, but the only thing that really matters is long term average.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:16 PM   #6
chuckie669

Drives: 2011 ss
I don't know the miles on your car, but since you just got it id say run the gas down twice and make sure to fill it up with 93 if possible. Then Look up the fuse pull for our cars and also clean your maf.
chuckie669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:22 PM   #7
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
With all my mods (H/c/I, etc) I still average 16.5mpg in city highway stop/go traffic.
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:28 PM   #8
CO2010ss

Drives: 2010 ss/rs
1. it's a heavy car with alot of power not a prius its not going to get great mpg, and if your buddies car mods include an intake and exhaust his is inhaling and exhaling alot easier than yours, every car and truck I've ever modded got better mpg after an intake and exhaust install gas or diesel, believe it or not my ram gets better mpg when I have the +135 hp tune switched on rather than the +30hp tune, sadly enough my 8000# diesel truck with more displacement, hp and torque gets better mpg than my Camaro city and highway.

2. gm as with most all manufactures build an idiot factor into the fuel gauge so even when it shows empty it still has a bit left, just like they make speedos read a bit high.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #9
failshift
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO2010ss View Post

2. gm as with most all manufactures build an idiot factor into the fuel gauge so even when it shows empty it still has a bit left, just like they make speedos read a bit high.

Not like they used to. When the check fuel light came on in my 4th gen I still had 3.6gal of a 16.2 gal tank left.

On the 1LE. It says 50mi. It ****** means 50mi. Lol
Old 05-15-2016, 05:54 PM   #10
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
It must be said...again. It's a SUPER SPORT Chevy, with a long and storied history of performance. Granted, back in the day, when gas was $0.25, MPG caused more concern if meant, "my pregnant girlfriend" than how much gas you had to buy for your "other" GF.

It's all relative. I HOPE you bought that car to stick your foot in it and avoid expensive psycho-therapy sessions. The SS Camaro is much cheaper! Enjoy it...in between fill ups!
Old 05-15-2016, 08:34 PM   #11
rdame

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Running really rich due to a vacuum leak? Does exhaust smell really rich. I got a big leak in my PVC system and my mileage went to that level and the exhaust smelled super rich due to the computer trying to compensate
2011 2SS, L99 Auto, VMax TB, "Strong" MAF, MSD Wires, JRE Modded Metco Breather, DEI Plug Wire Heat Socks, Heater Hose Update, 160 degree Thermostat, CAI Intake, JRE CAI Scoop, Moroso Catch Can, ARP Header Studs, Dynatech 1 7/8 LT Ceramic Coated, Dynatech Supercats 2.5” out, 2.5" Corsa S Catback Resonator X Pipe,Moroso Driveshaft Hoop, Moroso Tunnel Brace, Goodridge Phantom G-Stop SS lines, Motul 600 RBF brake fluid, SCT 4 with JRE Tune
rdame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:45 PM   #12
Jackass
Doing what I like to do

Drives: 1963 Landrover
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO2010ss View Post
1. it's a heavy car with alot of power not a prius its not going to get great mpg, and if your buddies car mods include an intake and exhaust his is inhaling and exhaling alot easier than yours, every car and truck I've ever modded got better mpg after an intake and exhaust install gas or diesel, believe it or not my ram gets better mpg when I have the +135 hp tune switched on rather than the +30hp tune, sadly enough my 8000# diesel truck with more displacement, hp and torque gets better mpg than my Camaro city and highway.

You can't and shouldn't try to compare diesel vs gas MPG , It just doesn't work like that .its like making or trying to make lemonade with oranges , the taste will be a monumental error if you try to call it other than orange juice !
Jackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:15 PM   #13
Cyber10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Per tank I average 20 mpg on the dot normally. I drive a lot of highway miles though so it boosts my average. If I fill up when I'm at work though where I do what little city driving that I do, I think I get 10-12..

Granted this is all on my old tune which I'm getting my new one done tomorrow so who knows, maybe my fuel economy will change(for the better I hope). Otherwise it doesn't sound like a fuel problem out of the ordinary to me. Also I usually run my car to about 50 miles left on a tank(pretty much on the red line) but I only get 17 or so gallons when I fill up. So again seems normal.
Cyber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:19 PM   #14
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by failshift View Post
Driving style.
Bad tires
Improper tire pressure.
Clogged air filter.

Alignment too. A stock L99 with the AFM should do 25 or above on hwy. I get 22 on a cammed ls3
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote