Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-29-2023, 08:19 PM   #1
silentownage001

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Winter tire setup

Hey all. I have a 2SS on order that is due to be built this week (as of a couple weeks ago when I last checked with the dealer). I'm planning on getting a second set of wheels for winter. This is mainly for the cold temps, but I may have to drive in light snow on occasion.

My car will have the 20 inch carbon flash wheels with the Eagle F1 tires. Front tires 245/40ZR20 and rear tires 275/35ZR20.

For the winters I'm going to 19s since there are more tire options. On a budget for now as far as wheels go with the idea of maybe upgrading later. I'm looking at the MSW Type 74 rims in black which are 19x8 with a +29mm offset. For tires I'm thinking of the Michelin X-Ice Snow in 245/45R19 on all fours in case I do need to drive in snow.

I'm adding TMPS. It comes with 20 lug nuts, 4 centering rings, and 1 lug installation tool (according to Tire Rack).

Am I missing anything or will these fit just fine?

Gone, but not forgotten
2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
silentownage001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 06:33 AM   #2
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Those should fit just fine. You can even go down to 18" wheels with 245/50/18 tires if you want. Depending on your level of comfort with it, you might consider saving some money by buying a gently used set of wheels and tires already "assembled" from the classified forum. But yeah, these will work.
Old 10-30-2023, 07:23 AM   #3
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Consider how much and how often your snow events really are. Ive used the Xi3 and for what I needed at 5-7 times per year it was more tire and it sucked to drive on them all the other days of the year it was only cold and or wet. Its floaty and wanders and has zero "performance" on it, at all. I hated it.
But I needed more than an A/S tire, but not a snow/ice, so I chose a winter performance tire, the Alpin PA4 and I love it.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 09:30 PM   #4
silentownage001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Those should fit just fine. You can even go down to 18" wheels with 245/50/18 tires if you want. Depending on your level of comfort with it, you might consider saving some money by buying a gently used set of wheels and tires already "assembled" from the classified forum. But yeah, these will work.
Thanks for the input! I thought about getting a used set, figured I'd just roll with a new set. Maybe down the road try I'll try something else. I did think about 18s, but I do like the look of 20s and don't want to sacrifice that too much, hence the 19s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
Consider how much and how often your snow events really are. Ive used the Xi3 and for what I needed at 5-7 times per year it was more tire and it sucked to drive on them all the other days of the year it was only cold and or wet. Its floaty and wanders and has zero "performance" on it, at all. I hated it.
But I needed more than an A/S tire, but not a snow/ice, so I chose a winter performance tire, the Alpin PA4 and I love it.
Good call out on that. I saw it as the only Michelin option and didn't look into it enough. My mistake. I did look up the Alpin PA4, but the closest size is 245/35 instead of 245/45. It might not be a big deal, but since the rim size is shrinking I'm looking to increase the aspect ratio.

As far as other options go in the 245/45R19 size I see the Bridgestone Blizzak LM005, and Pirelling Sottozero 3s in run flat and non-run flat options. Since I'm not finding the Alpin PA4s I think I'm leaning towards the non-runflat Sottozeroes.

It sounds like Blizzaks are better in the snow. The Pirellis are better on dry and wet pavement, which is primarily what I'll be driving on. If it's snowing I likely won't drive or we'll use my fiance's Camry. The last few winters haven't been bad as far as snow goes here in the Indy area, but it's the midwest so you never know what will happen.

Gone, but not forgotten
2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Old 10-31-2023, 06:38 AM   #5
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I don't know if the Alpin 5 is replacing the PA4 but ya Im seeing them unvailable the last month or so in what I use on the rear, 285.35
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 06:55 AM   #6
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentownage001 View Post
I did look up the Alpin PA4, but the closest size is 245/35 instead of 245/45. It might not be a big deal, but since the rim size is shrinking I'm looking to increase the aspect ratio.
It's a big deal: going with the 35s you'd lose nearly 2" of tire diameter and 1" of ride height. That's not what you want in winter weather. Stick with 45.
Old 10-31-2023, 06:25 PM   #7
silentownage001

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
I don't know if the Alpin 5 is replacing the PA4 but ya Im seeing them unvailable the last month or so in what I use on the rear, 285.35
Michelin advertises the Alpin 5 in 245/45R19, but when I entered my zip no retailers came up. Maybe it's just being rolled out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
It's a big deal: going with the 35s you'd lose nearly 2" of tire diameter and 1" of ride height. That's not what you want in winter weather. Stick with 45.
Will do. I hadn't bothered to do the math, but figured the 35s would be too small.

I think I'll go with the non-run flat Sottozero 3s. Thanks for the help!

Gone, but not forgotten
2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Old 11-01-2023, 10:30 AM   #8
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I bought a set of SS take-off wheels on ebay for $800.
Bought 4 General G-max AS-05's for $700 (stock sizes).
These are fine in light snow and I get out of my driveway with maybe a 10 degree incline just fine. Anything more than 2" deep and I'm taking the SUV.
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 10:38 AM   #9
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I ran 265/40/19 et27 on 19x10" square wheels, Michelin PA4 N-Spec (Porsche).

This makes the car decent to drive on cold, dry pavement vs something like 245 square X-Ice, which are going to suck to drive on dry pavement.

I got another car and currently have my 19x10" square wheel setup for sale for less than half of new. It's sized to give the exact same stance as OEM SS 1LE when used with 7mm spacers up front. This requires longer wheel studs but that's very easy to do, don't even have to take the brakes off.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620185
Old 11-13-2023, 01:15 PM   #10
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I run 19x8.5s with 15mm offset. 255 width and 40 profile on the tires. Makes for a real nice looking winter setup, the wheels/tires are pushed out pretty far so it's not "sucked in" looking.

(these were terrible tires though, replaced with Toyo Observe G3 Ice studded, infinitely better)
Attached Images

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 11:50 AM   #11
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Makes for a real nice looking winter setup...
Now, with that much snow, which looks like about 2", are you more likely to take the Camaro or the AWD Stinger?
Agree, the tires look nice.
Personally, about 2" is my cutoff for the Camaro, as I have an AWD SUV option.
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 12:25 PM   #12
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Now, with that much snow, which looks like about 2", are you more likely to take the Camaro or the AWD Stinger?
Agree, the tires look nice.
Personally, about 2" is my cutoff for the Camaro, as I have an AWD SUV option.
The Camaro is scary as hell in the winter on snow and ice, not enough weight in the rear obviously. Braking and turning traction are relatively good, but from a stop or any acceleration has it wanting to spin the rear wheels. I can drive it when it's relatively clear and dry, especially when it's super cold and traction increases, but for the most part I keep it in the garage. Right now we have a giant dump of snow and it doesn't make sense for me to even attempt to take it out until they get it cleaned up better. So I do drive it in the winter, but just not that much. Enough get a few miles on it. The Stinger on the other hand with it's AWD, it'll go through anything as long as I have the ground clearance and even without, it'll plow a bit and do just fine.

For context, when the snow falls here, it gets compacted/impacted and turns to ice, it stays ice and stays on the roads until the sun gets high enough in the spring to melt it off the roads. So it's a different dynamic than other places. Being at low altitude with cold and high humidity, real "black ice" is also possible before the snow hits, as in frost deposited on the road. Then we also get freezing rain in the same time period, as well as at times in the winter. Studded tires are a must for all this. There's a few that claim they "don't need them", they tend to be the people rolling stopsigns/intersections and spinning like crazy when they do come to a stop and have to start again. There are some heavier vehicles that don't really need them, but a lot of the people that claim they don't need em are the ones holding up traffic, etc. The road surface now will basically be a combination of ice/snow till we get to the spring. AWD is great, it quickly lets you out-accelerate your tire's ability to turn and stop

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD

Last edited by JamesNoBrakes; 11-14-2023 at 01:15 PM.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote