Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-06-2010, 03:56 PM   #15
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
It would been interesting to see both the polished ceramic coated CAI and the the black CAI tested. Wonder how much of a difference in IAT's there would be between the two.
This is a question that has been asked a few times since we introduced the black CAI. There hasn't been any testing specifically on the black CAI versus the ceramic coated but the black textured powder coat is clearly not going to reflect heat as well as the high polished ceramic coating. That being said, while the ceramic coating is a prominent aesthetic feature (I might point out, the reason its so prominent is because all stock intakes systems and the vast majority of aftermarket intake systems are black.) and does have a practical purpose on the standard CAI intake its not what provides the bulk of the performance gains. The real gains are made by a more efficient intake tract feeding a higher volume of air into the engine.

Gearhead440 has posted some impressive dyno numbers with the black CAI and a few other mods but I am having trouble finding it. Perhaps he can give me an assist. I would also point out the performance numbers posted by Camaros running ADM Performance intake systems as real world evidence that the black textured powder coated finish isn't going to make a significant impact on the CAI systems performance. Its just a new option we thought we would offer for the more sinister crowd.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #16
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
To me....the black looks better.

Still not sure that I like the window in the box though...
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #17
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
To me....the black looks better.

Still not sure that I like the window in the box though...
How is the window visually different from the open top Halltech?
Old 10-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #18
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
We can get to our water reservoir easier.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #19
Scruffage

Drives: 2011 2ss Rs LS3 manual in black
Quote:
This is a question that has been asked a few times since we introduced the black CAI. There hasn't been any testing specifically on the black CAI versus the ceramic coated but the black textured powder coat is clearly not going to reflect heat as well as the high polished ceramic coating. That being said, while the ceramic coating is a prominent aesthetic feature (I might point out, the reason its so prominent is because all stock intakes systems and the vast majority of aftermarket intake systems are black.) and does have a practical purpose on the standard CAI intake its not what provides the bulk of the performance gains. The real gains are made by a more efficient intake tract feeding a higher volume of air into the engine.

Gearhead440 has posted some impressive dyno numbers with the black CAI and a few other mods but I am having trouble finding it. Perhaps he can give me an assist. I would also point out the performance numbers posted by Camaros running ADM Performance intake systems as real world evidence that the black textured powder coated finish isn't going to make a significant impact on the CAI systems performance. Its just a new option we thought we would offer for the more sinister crowd.

So there is no ceramic on the Black one? Just wondering, I thought they were the same intake just one get's powder coated?
Scruffage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #20
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Thanks for the your take on the differences. Do you know if the ceramic is on the inside as well? The black CAI is very nice looking intake.

Quote:
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #21
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffage View Post
So there is no ceramic on the Black one? Just wondering, I thought they were the same intake just one get's powder coated?
They are identical intakes, it is just a question of whether they send it to get ceramic coated or black textured powder coated. Its one or the other.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #22
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
Thanks for the your take on the differences. Do you know if the ceramic is on the inside as well? The black CAI is very nice looking intake.
There is not ceramic coating on the inside.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #23
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
There is not ceramic coating on the inside.

Ok, good to know. I'm sure there would be no measurable difference between the black and ceramic then. Either one would be great choice.

Last edited by IndeedSS1; 10-06-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: the usual
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #24
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
One day people here will wake up and realize that an over the radiator intake is the best available.. until then let them argue over which 90* bend with a filter stuck on it is the best. lol.
Did you forget to list the over-the-radiator intake in your signature list or don't you have the best?
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #25
gearhead440

Drives: Yellow 2SS, 6 speed manual
Chase,
Since you asked nicely . And if took me a HECK of a lot longer to paint the engine cover then install your CAI, I would like to add! Nothing but good words for you, your service and the products you sell .

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106599

C.A.I cold air intake, ADM race scoop, TSP underdrive pulley, hand ported exhaust manifolds with high-temp coating, rear cat removed, front cat ported for 3 inch inlet pipe with header wrap, polished throttle body, Mobil 1 trans fluid, Royal Purple gear lube in rear, Rev Xtreme catch can, stock exhaust system from cats back including stock mufflers - there is no tune with this combination. I have less than $1400 in everthing but the cutting, porting, welding and installation took some time.

SAE: 401.5 RWHP, 394 RWTQ
STD: 410 RWHP, 402.6 RWTQ

Heat is the killer. If you are serious about reducing underhood temps, coat your exhaust manifolds or headers with some type of high temp coating that keeps the heat inside the exhaust. It will increase the efficiency of your exhaust and reduce the engine compartment heat thereby reducing the amount of heat transfered into your intake. My $0.02.

Hers & His
gearhead440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #26
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
It's all a personal preference. To me the CAI reminds me of looking a something still in it's packaging.

It's very similar but I just like the the looks of the open element more than looking at it behind a glass case.

Some people are just the opposite. I was talking with one guy who was giving me hard time and saying how ugly the open element looked. To each his own....
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #27
SHWA

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS L99 A6
Halltech Yellow Jacket!!! It even gives you a deeper exhaust note on the stock exhaust. You can feel the added punch and I like the look of the huge air filter when you open the hood. Great fit and finish.

I am new to modding and it only took me around 15 min to install it. Fortunately I had all of the right tools handy.
SHWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #28
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
One day people here will wake up and realize that an over the radiator intake is the best available.. until then let them argue over which 90* bend with a filter stuck on it is the best. lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Care to back up those claims on a 2010/11 Camaro?
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote