Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #1
leedsladmatt

Drives: 2001 Audi A6
Hello from the UK and a couple of questions

Hello, Newbie here so go easy
English guy born and bred who just stumbled upon this site today. I will admit I never used to be a fan of american cars, the old "don't know what a corner is" and "such a big engine so little power" stories floating around put me off....

and then a few weeks ago a freind showed me the 5th gen camaro concepts and I was awestruck. I have seen a few of the current mustangs over here but this cars is just...wow!

Anyway little intro aside, just as i start my search into personal imports rules and predicted retail prices I found a press release saying it will be sold here in RHD. But before I get carried aware with myself and head off to the chevy dealer to get put on the list I was wondering if the old hands here could clear up a niggling question for me. See im very big and tall im 6'5" and have a 48" chest. I've always had to go with big saloons/sedans just so I feel comfortable and because of this have never been able to contemplate a european sports car. THe Camaro seems a lot "rommier" but does anyone here think the 5th gen one will comfortably fit someone like me?

Thanks in advance, great site!

Matt
leedsladmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Hi + Welcome!

If you want to get an idea for size I highly suggest you go and check out the Vauxhall VXR8(Zeta platform mate with the Camaro). The Camaro will be a "big" car for a coupe, and should have plenty of room up front. I'm the same exact height as you are. Trust me, if this car is built for Americans in these times, it's going to be a roomy car. Glad you set aside the pride and are taking a chance, you won't be let down. It can be hard to ignore the negative stereotypes of all things American abroad, but truth is they're just as good as anything else if not, in some cases, better. The Camaro will be able to keep up with any of the imports, and that includes in the corners. EVO wrote a glowing review of the VXR8 last month, really good read and should give some insight into how the Camaro wil perform, which will be nothing short of stellar.

Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
leedsladmatt

Thanks for the quick update
i didnt know this car had so much in common with the monaro (the VXR8 as you know it) Every review I have seen it has been hailed as the bargain of the century and in essence an M5/RS4 for half the price. Pitty they are so rare I can't blag a test drive in one at a dealer
Old 07-28-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Didn't the VXR8 just go on sale?

Here's a link to the EVO review of the Vauxhall VRX8 for those that are interested:

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...hall_vxr8.html
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
leedsladmatt

ah yeah that 4 door VXR has just come out, we had this http://www.carpages.co.uk/vauxhall/v...o-21-02-05.asp first, its forbear. same principal, big coupe esq care with an american V8. but only 2 door. cost the same as what the Camaro is rumoured to come in at which for what you get is very cheap.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:53 PM   #6
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
I always figured the Camaro was mid-sized. When I think big, I think Caddy Eldorado. I guess big here is a bit different.
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Let's just put it this way...the 5th Gen will be 5 1/2 inches wider than any other Camaro ever built. That means more room for the driver (I would think). Info was also released that the drivers seat (think it was in the Bob's Burger joint in Cali where they had the orange vert) would be lowered for the production model as well as the roof being raised some 14mm. A few people sat in it here on the boards. I don't know their exact heights, but all said there was enough room. Now, they did say that when they sat in the vert, they were looking at the headliner or top of the windshield because they were sitting too high. I'm 6'2" and I'm not tooooooo overly concerned with being able to fit in the new maro.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:55 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
A few people sat in it here on the boards. I don't know their exact heights, but all said there was enough room. Now, they did say that when they sat in the vert, they were looking at the headliner or top of the windshield because they were sitting too high.
I've heard that, too. But I guess GM is going to raise the windshield a little to compensate. During an interview, they basically said, it's a concept car, it's not supposed to be comfortable to drive!

And then, of course, it's not supposed to be like that, it'll be raised.

-----------------
A little off-topic, but not much. Rear seat comfort - GM said they wanted to mount the front seats on the side of the center bump, and the side of the car, to give room to the rear-passenger's feet.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:32 PM   #9
JeepinMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Let's just put it this way...the 5th Gen will be 5 1/2 inches wider than any other Camaro ever built. That means more room for the driver (I would think). Info was also released that the drivers seat (think it was in the Bob's Burger joint in Cali where they had the orange vert) would be lowered for the production model as well as the roof being raised some 14mm. A few people sat in it here on the boards. I don't know their exact heights, but all said there was enough room. Now, they did say that when they sat in the vert, they were looking at the headliner or top of the windshield because they were sitting too high. I'm 6'2" and I'm not tooooooo overly concerned with being able to fit in the new maro.
I thought the production car is going to get quite a bit narrower than the concept
Old 07-28-2007, 11:58 PM   #10
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsladmatt View Post
I will admit I never used to be a fan of american cars, the old "don't know what a corner is" and "such a big engine so little power" stories floating around put me off....
Yea, when i watch reviews on top gear online. All they talk about is how bad american cars are. But usually they end the review with being surprised with how much they have improved. I still love that show, i wish they played them here.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:09 AM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinMatt View Post
I thought the production car is going to get quite a bit narrower than the concept
Partially true, I wish I could find the article...but the roof is supposed to be raised by fractions of an inch, the width shrunk by, what? 3/4 of an inch or something like that? and the length by a few mm.

So, no, not "quite a bit", just a Little teensy bit narrower. SO: still wider than ANY Camaro ever produced.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:12 AM   #12
JeepinMatt

Is that 3/4" per side?
Old 07-29-2007, 12:15 AM   #13
Mr. Wyndham

No, it's overall. And 3/4 isn't the real number...I'm sure of that:p, but it's close.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:18 AM   #14
JeepinMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
No, it's overall. And 3/4 isn't the real number...I'm sure of that:p, but it's close.
Oh haha. Well I thought it was something around an inch and a half overall, give or take. Still wide. I'm just hoping that with some modifications it'll be a competent road racer, like the first gen Z/28