Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Z/28 has been put on hold again?

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...le-pics-86679/

According to this thread:
Quote:
The much anticipated, higher performance Z28 model Camaro has reportedly been scrapped, with the low-volume sales and a reported $50 million production tag sealing its fate.
Is this more or less a rumor? Any confirmed sources saying the same thing?
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Rumbling going around that GM's Board killed it and that was another issue that helped with the ouster the other day. The board is ran by the govermemnt appointees and they are not wanting to spend money on another non green car.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended

Drives: BMW 6 series Vert
I think it's good thing. GM right now is still operating at a loss. They need cash and that money would do better invested in cars that will sell in higher volumes. Z28 may fulfill enthusiasts dreams but it won't bring in enough cash to justify the investment. GM needs to get in the black before wasting money this way or they will be back in BK court.
All-Or-Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
oh well

D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
coolman

Yea right. Next week it will be back on. I never seen a more talked about car that doesn't exist. I can believe it though, because gm an slp hooked up to sell cars so why would they bring out a z/28. I would seem redundant.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
a_Username

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post
I think it's good thing. GM right now is still operating at a loss. They need cash and that money would do better invested in cars that will sell in higher volumes. Z28 may fulfill enthusiasts dreams but it won't bring in enough cash to justify the investment. GM needs to get in the black before wasting money this way or they will be back in BK court.
The Camaro was an enthusiast's dream and it is doing very well. I believe the Z/28 would turn in more than enough profit to justify it's production. I firmly believe though, that when the Camaro sales start slipping, then they will release the Z/28 to get the hype stirring once again. Then again, they could capitalize on the popularity right now, however it is a hard business decision that I'm glad I do not have to make.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
The Camaro was an enthusiast's dream and it is doing very well. I believe the Z/28 would turn in more than enough profit to justify it's production. I firmly believe though, that when the Camaro sales start slipping, then they will release the Z/28 to get the hype stirring once again. Then again, they could capitalize on the popularity right now, however it is a hard business decision that I'm glad I do not have to make.

Yes it is a car that most of the buying public could afford. Even with dealers jacking up the prices. The Z28 will not fall into that price bracket and it will be less attainable by most of those same people. In another financial situation i would say do it but GM needs to focus on more popular segments right now.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

OH snap they took that site down!

Old 12-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1BADZ View Post
OH snap they took that site down!

It's just scheduled site maintenance.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #10
a_Username

Quote:
Yes it is a car that most of the buying public could afford. Even with dealers jacking up the prices. The Z28 will not fall into that price bracket and it will be less attainable by most of those same people. In another financial situation i would say do it but GM needs to focus on more popular segments right now.
This trim level wouldn't be made to outsell the other Camaros. It would have a different target market, obviously upper middle class to upper class buyers. It would do good for it is supposed to do, which would be to compete with the higher end segments of the Challengers (SRT8), Mustangs (GT500), etc.The GT500 seems to be justified enough to produce, give that benchmark plus the added popularity of the Camaro over the Mustang, as of right now, then the Z/28 would be a good business decision.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #11
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Quote:
It's just scheduled site maintenance.
So they say............

Old 12-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #12
coolman

Gm needs a car that they can sell like hot cakes at and all you can eat pancake breakfast.
They don't need to sock a bunch of money into another low volume car right now. Until they start making money again I think cars like that should go on hold. And Believe me it's not because I don't want one. I just don't want my tax dollars to go waisted.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #13
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
Gm needs a car that they can sell like hot cakes at and all you can eat pancake breakfast.
They don't need to sock a bunch of money into another low volume car right now. Until they start making money again I think cars like that should go on hold. And Believe me it's not because I don't want one. I just don't want my tax dollars to go waisted.
As much as I want one, I agree.
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #14
tacotylert

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Red Jewel
yeah its ok we don't need the z28 to keep up with the gt500s anyways...even though the gt500 is atleast 20,000 more it is barely faster than a stock ss
tacotylert is offline   Reply With Quote