Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
For Todd@Autopia

Todd,
Since you're in the detailing world and have a website that isn't specific to one company, I have a question for you. What products do you recommend for a black car... paint cleaners, sealant, glaze, wax, leather and vinyl interior cleaning etc...

Just want to see what you think. I looked at the car pro line and a few others on your site. Thanks!
Jake
Old 04-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
camarograna2
Car Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro 2SS A/T
Send a message via MSN to camarograna2
i couldnt resist:

The wife catches her husband on the phone around 3am. He's mumbling, "Yeah I'm married......does that matter?" Wife grabs the phone, demanding to know what's going on.

The husband barely reacts. "It's Jake. From State Farm." Wife asks the person on the other end, "So what are you wearing, 'Jake' from 'State Farm?'"

"Uhhh........khakis.........." Jake replies.

"She sounds hideous," wife says to husband, who replies, "Well yeah.......'cause she's a guy
Old 04-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
chalkupanother1

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarograna2 View Post
i couldnt resist:

The wife catches her husband on the phone around 3am. He's mumbling, "Yeah I'm married......does that matter?" Wife grabs the phone, demanding to know what's going on.

The husband barely reacts. "It's Jake. From State Farm." Wife asks the person on the other end, "So what are you wearing, 'Jake' from 'State Farm?'"

"Uhhh........khakis.........." Jake replies.

"She sounds hideous," wife says to husband, who replies, "Well yeah.......'cause she's a guy

Old 04-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL1CK View Post
Todd,
Since you're in the detailing world and have a website that isn't specific to one company, I have a question for you. What products do you recommend for a black car... paint cleaners, sealant, glaze, wax, leather and vinyl interior cleaning etc...

Just want to see what you think. I looked at the car pro line and a few others on your site. Thanks!
Jake
Yes we carry over 60 brands of the best car care products in the world. Honestly process is always going to trump product selection. Give this thread a read:

Autopia 5 Step Paint Care Cycle

Ultimately clean, swirl free paint is going to give you the most shine possible. Will you be working by hand or machine?

The first step (and most important) is properly washing your car. Not only does this get the car clean, but it also keeps it swirl free when you are done.

The next step is to inspect and deep clean (clay if necessary) the paint. Finally (the most important step) is polishing the surface smooth, like a mirror.

Then you apply your favorite wax or sealant to protect the paint and lock in the shine.

Out of the brands we carry, I am extremely partial to the BLACKFIRE brand. (If you are looking to stay in one range).

The BLACKFIRE exterior care products feature a special tri-polymer blend, sourced from around the world, but made here, in the USA. These "Wet Diamond Polymers" are famous for creating an amazingly wet, glossy, 3 dimensional shine that looks amazing on black (and all colors).

If you give me your goals, what you are working with, etc, I would love to give you specific recommendations.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Stupid !!
Old 04-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
Haole
2017 SS

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Todd, not sure if you got my pm earlier but the above post pretty much answered my question. I purchased the carnuba wax and the wet diamond finish paint protection. My question was which polish to get?

Last edited by Haole; 04-26-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haole View Post
Todd, not sure if you got my pm earlier but the above post pretty much answered my question. I purchased the carnuba wax and the wet diamond finish paint protection. My question was which polish to get?
Sticking with the BLACKFIRE polishes, you have two options.

1) BLACKFIRE SRC Compound- This is a moderately aggressive polish that will remove swirl marks and heavier imperfections such as water etching, sand marks, and RIDS (random isolated deeper scatches). I would use with the an orange/light cutting pad

2) BLACKFIRE SRC Finishing Polish- This is a light polish that will remove light swirl marks/towel marks, and dramatically increase the clarity of the finish. I would use this with a white polishing foam pad.

Both BLACKFIRE polishes use technology originally developed for German automotive manufacturers for use on the assembly line of some of the most premium automotive brands.

It's hard to know exactly which polish is going to work for your application, but generally start with the least aggressive method possible, which would be BLACKFIRE SRC Finishing Polish and a white pad. If this doesn't provide enough cut then use the BLACKFIRE SRC Compound with an orange pad.

The SRC Compound/Orange pad will leave a really nice finish if you need to use it, but you can often increase the shine even more by following up with the Finishing Polish/White pad.

The contain no fillers, glazes, silicones, or waxes.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote