Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #15
Blackkaz04

Drives: 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
heavy ZL1's can do that with less rwhp.
i was just making a stab at what the op wanted....11.6 in the quarter. I don't claim to be an expert in the hp vs 1/4 dept.
Blackkaz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #16
Blackkaz04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Really? Interesting! GM! Where's my factory warrantied SS 427 camaro at? Come on! Snap! Snap! This should've been done from the get go. I prefer the look of my car with an LS7 rather than the redesign but ill take it a 2014 or 2015 SS427. I'm patient enough to wait 2 yrs lol.
let's wait and see....you never know.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #17
Blackkaz04

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ss/rs View Post
Give me the option of a SS427 and back to the dealer I will go. I have often wondered why GM would not let us option the engine of choice for an upcharge ?

Oh GM ( Scott ) hear our dreams and let them come to life!!!!!
Scott!! we know you are listening. Anyone else out there want the 427 as an option for the SS?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #18
Zedave

Drives: 2007 Z06, 2009 SRT Challenger
No 427 for the SS thanks GM
Glad it's only in the Z/28, can't wait to get one
Just like Corvettes, only avail in the big dog Z06
Keep it that way, love my Z06
Currently in Stable, 1981 Z28, 2003 Corvette 50th Anniv. Edition, 2007 Ron Fellows Z06 #330, 2009 SRT Challenger
Zedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #19
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
I'm just gonna throw this out there...

Everybody wants a "Street Brawler" that will "smoke any Ford", yet you want GM to custom build it and warranty your activities? 99% of the folks that had such cars in the good ole days shoe-horned their own big block into a Camaro, and the other 1% paid big bucks (for the times) to get theirs and rarely got a warranty. You're asking GM to assume the risk for what you want to do with this car. Asking GM to invest millions into research to produce another reliable, safe, purpose-built, high performance street car that will only sell a few hundred units, will not only jack up the price of that car, but the rest of the line up as well. You say a lot of people would buy it, but it would still be priced out of reach for most of the folks that really want it. In the automobile world, less is more and more is more.

Less weight = more cost. More power = more cost + weight.

You want a lightened 1SS with a 427? Build it! It would be an amazing car, and something you'd be much more proud to own. Everything you need is already available off-the-shelf. Standing behind your own product goes a lot further than running to the Service Dept.

I'm not trying to disrespect anyone here. I've built 2 street rods, and several sand rails back when I had time and money (read: unmarried and no kids). I would have any one of those vehicles again over anything I could drive off the lot at the time. Would I like to see more purpose built Camaros? Yes, but I don't think they will come off the assembly line. Given the economy and the current corporate environment, I'm amazed GM (and the other two) are able to get these cars to the street at all! Now is a great time to be a gearhead! Take advantage of it!

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #20
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Body In White.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #21
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
I'm just gonna throw this out there...

Everybody wants a "Street Brawler" that will "smoke any Ford", yet you want GM to custom build it and warranty your activities? 99% of the folks that had such cars in the good ole days shoe-horned their own big block into a Camaro, and the other 1% paid big bucks (for the times) to get theirs and rarely got a warranty. You're asking GM to assume the risk for what you want to do with this car. Asking GM to invest millions into research to produce another reliable, safe, purpose-built, high performance street car that will only sell a few hundred units, will not only jack up the price of that car, but the rest of the line up as well. You say a lot of people would buy it, but it would still be priced out of reach for most of the folks that really want it. In the automobile world, less is more and more is more.

Less weight = more cost. More power = more cost + weight.

You want a lightened 1SS with a 427? Build it! It would be an amazing car, and something you'd be much more proud to own. Everything you need is already available off-the-shelf. Standing behind your own product goes a lot further than running to the Service Dept.

I'm not trying to disrespect anyone here. I've built 2 street rods, and several sand rails back when I had time and money (read: unmarried and no kids). I would have any one of those vehicles again over anything I could drive off the lot at the time. Would I like to see more purpose built Camaros? Yes, but I don't think they will come off the assembly line. Given the economy and the current corporate environment, I'm amazed GM (and the other two) are able to get these cars to the street at all! Now is a great time to be a gearhead! Take advantage of it!
Wait a minute, GM would risk absolutely NOTHING in making this. How do you figure that? They warrantied the Z/28 and its PURPOSE BUILT! No one here wants a purpose built SS427, They just want the SS to have a 427 in it. Though I do understand the OP was specifying a Ford burner getting 11.5 in the qrtr which to my knowledge requires a roll cage? Not sure but I think so unless its 11.4 that is does. I forget. I as well as others would enjoy owning an SS427 that is not purpose built. Just an optioned car. The "purpose" would be whatever the hell you want to do with it from there. Doesnt have to have purpose behind it. And if you put a 427 in an SS, the price would be around $45-48k. Everything else stays the same in the car. No suspension upgrades or anything more as an SS is VERY well capable of handling a 427.

This gen will be it for High performance other than the LT1 being in SS models though that wont last very long without FI bein introduced to get the same numbers we're getting NA.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #22
blkngldbabe
Barossa's handler

Drives: 2LT/RS RJT
SLP offers one as an add in for a new car. ZL700 comes with the handbuilt 427.

http://slpcars.com/?page_id=1490

Comes with a Powertrain warranty that matches GM.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #23
Wizard1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedave View Post
No 427 for the SS thanks GM
Glad it's only in the Z/28, can't wait to get one
Just like Corvettes, only avail in the big dog Z06
Keep it that way, love my Z06
Drop the ego trip please.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #24
Wizard1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkngldbabe View Post
SLP offers one as an add in for a new car. ZL700 comes with the handbuilt 427.

http://slpcars.com/?page_id=1490

Comes with a Powertrain warranty that matches GM.
Which refers back to original question. WHY DOESNT GM OFFER THIS?
SLP runs approximately $10000 over MSRP for this for a base package with includes wheels and such. GM CAN offer this in an SS as an option for around $8000 over MSRP and make a profit. If SLP does it for this cost, and they dont do this for free, GM can do this as well.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #25
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
I agree. the 2014 Z28 is a terrible idea. Overpriced, super niche market. Just make a beastmode 1SS with this engine option for a reasonable price and there you have it.

They would sell a ton.

The ONLY thing I can think of is, that since the LS7 is gonna be retired just like the C6 vette, they only had a certain amount of engines on hand, and didnt want to make anymore.

So they jack up the price and essentially make it a limited edition.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #26
Raptor3141

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS RJT M6
I think the point here is that we would like GM to give us the ability to add/delete items like in the early days. Give us more engine options that just a V6 or V8 of predetermined size.

It would be fantastic to go to a dealer and order a camaro from an "a-la-carte" option list.
Raptor3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #27
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
So the point is to have a bigger motor?
maybe they will do it but I still see it being a limit run like special edtion of the end of the 5th gen or a 50th anniversary with option to have but still limited
Old 05-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #28
Wizard1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor3141 View Post
I think the point here is that we would like GM to give us the ability to add/delete items like in the early days. Give us more engine options that just a V6 or V8 of predetermined size.

It would be fantastic to go to a dealer and order a camaro from an "a-la-carte" option list.
Im curius whats the reasoning behind not doing it? It doesnt cost more to delete something from a vehicle. If allocated, when they recieve the order, the assembly line is well aware of what to install and delete from the vehicle. As for engines? I've said it enough times. An SS can handle an LS3, LS7 and LS9 as long as its no more than 600HP. But they wouldnt even have to include the LS9 in the options. Just LS3 or 427 option priced accordingly. Its not rocket science.

Tags
2014, 2014 ss, 427, drag race, z28