Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-04-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
What will it take to beat the Gt-R!

Is there a way to modify the camaro to beat the skyline...what engine and mods would be needed?

it makes me sick...that a freakin nissan....beat the zo6 on a track...

gm...that is not acceptable...something must be done...

I want my freaking bragging rights...

the last thing we need is the ricer crowd laughing at the vette!!

Last edited by chevydude26; 08-04-2008 at 02:53 PM.
chevydude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Is there any way? Sure, but it will cost you. Just like it will cost the Nissan buyer more than it will the Chevy buyer.

I don't think you have to worry about the ricers laughing at the Vette.

Understand, Nissan took it's best shot to date and finally beat the Z06....admirable yes, but they did it while GM was bringing out the ZR1 (okay, the cost issue swings back to Nissan's favor here, but not by a lot). Oops. Nissan's bragging rights lasted about an hour. Don't worry, GM is back on top there.

As always, if someone has enough money, you can make anything faster. Not really comparing apples to apples then are we? I mean the F430 Scuderia is faster around the track than a Miata, but you can buy almost 10 of the Mazda for one of the Ferraris. Not a fair comparison.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I would like to see what the Z0' would run on ZR1 tires...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
The Camaro will need significant upgrades to beat the GT-R. Its not in the same class, nor does it pretend to be. The ZR-1 just posted a better time on the ring than the GT-R's best time, but then again, the GT-R V-Spec will be released next year. So the saga continues. The key point is we shouldn't hate on the GT-R or even be upset about its performance. The bottom line is that they have raised the bar for performance in a 70k car (and yes they will eventually sell for MSRP or less once all the dust settles) and for that reason alone, all performance enthusiasts should be thanking Nissan.
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
chevydude26

what is the price difference of the zr1's and skylines?

and yeh i guess the camaro will be competing with 350's,mustangs,challengers,and probably some bmw's
Old 08-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The GT-R is not a ricer. It represents some of the best Nissan has to offer.

Do you think the German engineering crowd or the Italian sports car crowd is laughing at the Corvette? They don't care what it runs. They just want to compete in their markets. The Skyline isn't in America, so we won't be seeing any Corvette-Skyline showdowns anytime soon.

As far as modifications are concerned, I recommend starting with the closest car to the Skyline before aiming to pass it. Otherwise, your goals are too high and you risk endangering your vehicle with excessive modding.

Starting with the Z06, you could feasibly twin-turbo the LS7 and add supplemental bolt-ons—intake, exhaust, headers—to bring that 505-hp machine to around 650 hp. Lowering the ride may add some aerodynamics. Also, considering some traction-related enhancements, like additional mounts, may help get more power to the driver. These are all just suggestions.

As I said before, a Camaro would have to be done carefully because the target car is too high of a target. To start, an engine swap may be necessary. It's not worth blowing up your Camaro to beat a car that's not even in the US.
warn 145:159 ban

Last edited by The_Blur; 08-05-2008 at 03:44 PM.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
chevydude26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyers View Post
The Camaro will need significant upgrades to beat the GT-R. Its not in the same class, nor does it pretend to be. The ZR-1 just posted a better time on the ring than the GT-R's best time, but then again, the GT-R V-Spec will be released next year. So the saga continues. The key point is we shouldn't hate on the GT-R or even be upset about its performance. The bottom line is that they have raised the bar for performance in a 70k car (and yes they will eventually sell for MSRP or less once all the dust settles) and for that reason alone, all performance enthusiasts should be thanking Nissan.
good point...this will force chevy to beat it at that price range...
Old 08-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
Is there a way to modify the camaro to beat the skyline...what engine and mods would be needed?

it makes me sick...that a freakin nissan....beat the zo6 on a track...

gm...that is not acceptable...something must be done...

I want my freaking bragging rights...

the last thing we need is the ricer crowd laughing at the vette!!
They don't have sheet to laugh at. It is my understanding that in order to run the times they had at the 'Ring, one had to turn off the stability system and whatnot, which a customer WON'T be able to do because the owner's manual says it will void the warranty. I wouldn't fret too much. You don't have to pull off the supercharger belt on a ZR1 or disable four cylinders on the Z0' in order to keep your warranty

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 08-04-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
jmliptak

Drives: D
If the often rumored replacement of the LS7 with the LSA comes to pass, another 45 hp will not hurt either, but my GUESS would be the LSA is probably a little heavier than the LS7.....I agree, pushing each other back and forth is a good thing, it makes everyone better....
jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:31 PM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmliptak View Post
If the often rumored replacement of the LS7 with the LSA comes to pass, another 45 hp will not hurt either, but my GUESS would be the LSA is probably a little heavier than the LS7.....I agree, pushing each other back and forth is a good thing, it makes everyone better....
I've been thinking something similar. I know that LLN speculated the LS8 was going to be the replacement for the LS7, but I don't understand why GM would want to develop so many different variations on the same engine. Why not use the LSA?! If they're scared it will take something away from the CTS-V, change the pulley and tune, and call it a day! They could probably do the same for a top dog Camaro, but I can only continue praying...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 08-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #11
jmliptak

Drives: D
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I've been thinking something similar. I know that LLN speculated the LS8 was going to be the replacement for the LS7, but I don't understand why GM would want to develop so many different variations on the same engine. Why not use the LSA?! If they're scared it will take something away from the CTS-V, change the pulley and tune, and call it a day! They could probably do the same for a top dog Camaro, but I can only continue praying...
From SOME of what I have read, the LS8 is basically what you are talking about, and those articles were all written before the recent cutbacks in things like V8 development, so it may well come to pass that the LSA just moves over essentially as is, and THAT may actually be a good thing....
jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #12
seattlecamaroboy

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Why are you comparing a $30,000 car to a $70,000 car? I mean does this make any sense at all? This whole notion is rather ridiculous. You are getting a Corvette inspired 420 horsepower V8 engine in a ~$30,000 car and you are talking about something priced double as much? BTW The GT-R is as much a "skyline" as the Z06 is a base Corvette. Use proper terminology.
seattlecamaroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:50 PM   #13
ckellyme3

Drives: 1986 IROC 406 stroker
personally i hate civics, mazdas etc.. but i think the nissian 350z, skyline, and gtr should all be respected. remember your buying a camaro from anywhere to low $30k to maybe even $50k for the most balls out one(hopefully the Z28!!) these cars start at at least $70k. the corvette is the highest tier in the food chain where the other big dogs like the gtr is. the camaro is lower. it would make more sense just to buy a ZO6 if you want to beat some nissians like them lol.
ckellyme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:51 PM   #14
ckellyme3

Drives: 1986 IROC 406 stroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecamaroboy View Post
Why are you comparing a $30,000 car to a $70,000 car? I mean does this make any sense at all? This whole notion is rather ridiculous. You are getting a Corvette inspired 420 horsepower V8 engine in a ~$30,000 car and you are talking about something priced double as much? BTW The GT-R is as much a "skyline" as the Z06 is a base Corvette. Use proper terminology.
yea man u get the point here.
ckellyme3 is offline   Reply With Quote