Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 02-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Engine break-in - still a concern or no?

I will be geting a 2SS/RS auto, and it will be my DD. I drive about 22 miles to work, all city traffic, so that will be no problem in the beginning for the break-in. Then after a little while I'll switch to the freeway

So now for my question... the dealer I'm looking at is about 125 miles away. I'm assuming that taking the freeway home from the dealer won't be the best idea because of the constant speed... should I just double my travel time (not that I'll mind, of course!) and take city roads all the way home? Or is this not enough driving to be concerned about?

Just looking for opinions/advice.

Thanks!
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
The answer to your question is this is not really a concern anymore. The majority of car buyers will just follow what the manual says, which is usually to drive asy for the first 600 miles or so. This is pretty good advice, though I gaurantee you a substantial number of car buyers do not follow it. However most people on this site, myself included will follow some sort of break-in technique. The way I see it is that the engine is for the most part broken in at the factory, but the rest of the components still need to wear into place. Thus I will be taking everything slow and smooth the first 1000 miles - cornering, accelerating, braking, etc. As for your drive home a highway drive is perfectly ok as long as you VARY THE RPMs. Also DO NOT use cruise control. I have quite a drive from the dealership back to my house as well, and am going to add about 30 minutes to my trip to take country roads back as opposed to the interstate so I can mix up the speed more.
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
UncleBenny

Drives: 2009 G8 GT
You don't HAVE to go the exact same speed on the freeway. Just rev it up every once and a while then slow back down again(within reason). Taking the scenic route would probably be more fun anyway though.
UncleBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Cool thanks guys!
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
This topic has gone on since the beginning of time. (And NO HARM in asking!!!)

I'm "old school", so I like to pamper a new engine for the first 500mi. That being said, I believe todays engines are built to much higher tolerances than in the past, therefore, as long as you don't red line it, don't worry about it.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanys View Post
The answer to your question is this is not really a concern anymore. The way I see it is that the engine is for the most part broken in at the factory, but the rest of the components still need to wear into place. .
I agree with most of what you said. I will be working in Colorado till the end of June. I should get my Camaro by then. That means I will go back to Oregon to pick it up. I will most likely stay there a couple days breaking it in with varying speeds and road conditions, then driving the 1100 miles back to Colorado.
Rings and bearings are pretty much broke in at the factory when they test the engines before they get put on the frame. Everything else takes care of itself. The tranny and rear gears will be polished in the first couple hundred miles.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
Redwolf20

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Taking mine from Colo to Cent Cali so that should be a good break-in run especially with a few mountain passes included.
Redwolf20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=breakin

Old 02-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
I will be geting a 2SS/RS auto, and it will be my DD. I drive about 22 miles to work, all city traffic, so that will be no problem in the beginning for the break-in. Then after a little while I'll switch to the freeway

So now for my question... the dealer I'm looking at is about 125 miles away. I'm assuming that taking the freeway home from the dealer won't be the best idea because of the constant speed... should I just double my travel time (not that I'll mind, of course!) and take city roads all the way home? Or is this not enough driving to be concerned about?

Just looking for opinions/advice.

Thanks!
Taken from page 2-21 of the Corvette Owners Manual:

New Vehicle Break-In
Notice: Your vehicle does not need an elaborate
break-in. But it will perform better in the long run if
you follow these guidelines:
• Keep your speed at 55 mph (88 km/h) or less for
the first 500 miles (805 km).
• Do not drive at any one constant speed, fast or
slow, for the first 500 miles (805 km). Do not
make full-throttle starts. Avoid downshifting to
brake or slow the vehicle.
• Avoid making hard stops for the first 200 miles
(322 km) or so. During this time the new brake
linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops
with new linings can mean premature wear and
earlier replacement. Follow this breaking-in
guideline every time you get new brake linings.
Following break-in, engine speed and load can be
gradually increased.

I'd guess break-in procedures will be identical since the both share the same motor, transmissions and other drive train components.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanys View Post
The answer to your question is this is not really a concern anymore. The majority of car buyers will just follow what the manual says, which is usually to drive asy for the first 600 miles or so. This is pretty good advice, though I gaurantee you a substantial number of car buyers do not follow it. However most people on this site, myself included will follow some sort of break-in technique. The way I see it is that the engine is for the most part broken in at the factory, but the rest of the components still need to wear into place. Thus I will be taking everything slow and smooth the first 1000 miles - cornering, accelerating, braking, etc. As for your drive home a highway drive is perfectly ok as long as you VARY THE RPMs. Also DO NOT use cruise control. I have quite a drive from the dealership back to my house as well, and am going to add about 30 minutes to my trip to take country roads back as opposed to the interstate so I can mix up the speed more.
+ 1,000

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #11
kalel

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
Taken from page 2-21 of the Corvette Owners Manual:

New Vehicle Break-In
Notice: Your vehicle does not need an elaborate
break-in. But it will perform better in the long run if
you follow these guidelines:
• Keep your speed at 55 mph (88 km/h) or less for
the first 500 miles (805 km).
• Do not drive at any one constant speed, fast or
slow, for the first 500 miles (805 km). Do not
make full-throttle starts. Avoid downshifting to
brake or slow the vehicle.
• Avoid making hard stops for the first 200 miles
(322 km) or so. During this time the new brake
linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops
with new linings can mean premature wear and
earlier replacement. Follow this breaking-in
guideline every time you get new brake linings.
Following break-in, engine speed and load can be
gradually increased.

I'd guess break-in procedures will be identical since the both share the same motor, transmissions and other drive train components.

That is good information. I will take me a long time to get to 500 miles. My daily commute is only two miles.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #12
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Mine is about 20 miles round trip max. So it will be about a month or so before broke in.

Steph and I are thinking of doing a little road trip around the area to break it in maybe a weekend when it gets here.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #13
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalel View Post
That is good information. I will take me a long time to get to 500 miles. My daily commute is only two miles.
Same here. Work is only .5 miles from where I live. It'll take me 2 months to drive 500 miles.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:00 PM   #14
nonsensez9

Drives: 05 mustang gt
stay on the freeway, drop down to 4th and 5th gear once in a while
nonsensez9 is offline   Reply With Quote