Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 12-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
Diocrew

Drives: 2011 - Camaro SIM 1LT
Post DIY - Splash Guard Install

Splash Guard DIY

I just got my Camaro about two weeks ago and am loving it!!
Since this car is my main mode of transportation I wanted to try and protect it from rocks and salt here in New Jersey.

I ordered my parts for GMPARTSDIRECT and received my order very quickly.

This is a really easy installation. If you can turn a screw and drill a hole you can do this. Don't pay a dealer to do this for you!! You will need to lift the front end up for better access to drill a hole on the underside of each from wheel well. I did not include the original instructions as they were posted somewhere in the forums already, but I did provide some pictures and helpful tips.

When installing the front guards you need to turn your front wheel so you have easier access to take out the two torx screws on the inside of the wheel well. After you take the screws out you can place the guard on and put the screws back in. I should have taken a “before” picture here but the two arrows below point to the two torque screws that need to be removed before you put the guard on. The guards also have a tape strip that adheres to the body exterior and you need to make sure the clear plastic tab (top right hand corner arrow) is positioned on the outside so you can pull it out after the screws are in place.

Note that in the picture below the arrows below are pointing to the two “clips” that need to slide over the body siding. If you have trouble getting the clips to slide over the body siding you can press them in a little with with a flathead screwdriver. Be careful not to press too hard or you might break off the clip. In between the two clips you will need to drill a 5/8” hole for the supplied push pin.

You will now need to lift the front end yp high enough so you can fit your drill with the 3/32 drill bit. Now drill the pilot hole for a screw that holds the guard up to the underside of the body. I didn’t get good picture of where to drill, but it is pretty straight forward once you look at the guard and get it into position. The guard has a hole already so you just have to drill the under body. The arrow below kind of points to the general area where the hole will be drilled on the under body. You can also see the clear tape tab sticking out that will be removed later.

The rear guards are a little easier. You don’t need to remove the rear tire. Just use a socket wrench and a torx fitting to remove the two screws inside the wheel well.

You can then slide the rear guard on and put the two screws back in. Remember to keep that tape tab out again.

The final step is to drill a 3/32 pilot hole for the supplied screw to secure the bottom of the guard to the bottom of the body.

Hope this helps any of you who are thinking about doing this and need to add the splash guards to your car.

Diocrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
I'm applying a protective film on the rocker panels (after clay bar) before I put the splash guards on. The splash guards need sanding and clear coat before they're ready to go on. I'm going to try putting a piece of protective film on the part that faces the tire and see how well that protects the splash guard.
Heheh that's right, want to keep the splash guard from getting all chipped. I am totally CamarOCD, I also have carpets over my floor mats to keep them nice.
Thanks for posting your experience! Helps me see what I have in store!

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
Diocrew

No problem. It really is easy. Do you have the guards already? Mine matched my SIM perfectly.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
HopeRidesAlone

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
I think this will be my next thing after i install my injen
HopeRidesAlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:24 AM   #5
GhostOutlaw

Drives: Black 2011 2LT/RS
Where are you in jersey? Not many up here, especially dailys this time of year, prolly seen you around if your north.
GhostOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
Diocrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOutlaw View Post
Where are you in jersey? Not many up here, especially dailys this time of year, prolly seen you around if your north.
I am in Dunellen, where are you? I saw 3 Camaros on my way to work the other day.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
Cincy10SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Diocrew, thanks for this helpful write-up but there is one small but important mis-statement:
Quote:
In between the two clips you will need to drill a 5/8” hole for the supplied push pin.
It is actually a 5/16" hole that needs to be drilled; 5/8" would be way too big and the push-pin wouldn't grab, it'd just fall out.
Cincy10SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
DAVET1LT
DAVE T

Drives: 2011 1LT Summit White M6
Splash Guard Install

Got mine installed today. It is fairly easy, however I could not get the push pin to bite so I just left it out. Also, I did not care much for the front guards fender well side of the spash guard being painted. I simply masked it off, scuffed it, and painted it flat black. I personally think it looks much better and doesn't clash with the black fender well, instead blends right in.
Attached Images

DAVET1LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
Looks good... I've been kicking around getting these.
bandier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #10
remdds
Floss 'em if you got 'em!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 CGM
I've been kicking around getting these as well. Still haven't decided if I like the look. Anyone have more pics... preferably in CGM. Thanks.

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, L99, with K&N CAI, CGM w/silver stripes, chromed tail bezels painted, window tint. Wish List: ZL1 (CGM?)
remdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #11
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
dealer ones are a rip off in my opinion.. i got the $40 splash guards from a vendor here. they look good and do the job.. so far i dont have any chips on my rear quarter panel areas.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #12
DAVET1LT
DAVE T

Drives: 2011 1LT Summit White M6
Splash Guard Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie628 View Post
dealer ones are a rip off in my opinion.. i got the $40 splash guards from a vendor here. they look good and do the job.. so far i dont have any chips on my rear quarter panel areas.
I totally agree that the dealer ones are a rip off as far as price goes IMHO and they charge an additional $75 to have them painted Summit White. I bought mine from a gentleman on this forum for far much less than what the dealer wanted. They came painted, new in the box, and were never installed. I have only seen pics of the "stealth guards", and no other style. I prefer the oem guards purely for the asthetics.
DAVET1LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #13
vthokiefan
Stealthy SS

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS w Black Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by remdds View Post
I've been kicking around getting these as well. Still haven't decided if I like the look. Anyone have more pics... preferably in CGM. Thanks.
Hope these help you decide... I think they look great and you really don't even notice them.
Attached Images

vthokiefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
remdds
Floss 'em if you got 'em!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 CGM
Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthokiefan
Hope these help you decide... I think they look great and you really don't even notice them.
Thanks! I really appreciate the trouble you went to for the pics! [Nice car by the way, of course I am a bit biased]

I guess now I am going to visit the GM parts dept. Getting overhaulengines to paint me some tail-light bezels in CGM too. Then I'll be lookin' all snazzy. ummmm.... snazzier

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, L99, with K&N CAI, CGM w/silver stripes, chromed tail bezels painted, window tint. Wish List: ZL1 (CGM?)

Last edited by remdds; 06-26-2011 at 12:00 PM.
remdds is offline   Reply With Quote