Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
Decibel JJ
Car nut

Drives: Tahoe Z71, Race cars
Toyota GT86

I saw one of these for the first time driving around today. It looks like an interesting small car. 200Hp 4cyl, 6speed, RWD.

What do you think?

R.I.P. Evan .. A true Friend
Decibel JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
That thing is awesome!! I had an opportunity to drive one! an yes it wus M/T.

It would be a nice DD. for the price that thing is worth every penny IMO.

its called the FR-S here in the US.
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
They are slow as hell.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdenotter View Post
They are slow as hell.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
we'll yea. but there fun tho!
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
Decibel JJ
Car nut

Drives: Tahoe Z71, Race cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEo View Post

its called the FR-S here in the US.
Hmm, I could swear it had Toyota badges on it (and Nevada plates). It was left hand drive though, so now im wondering what exactly I saw ??

R.I.P. Evan .. A true Friend
Decibel JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
My guess is u saw a Scion Frs that had its badging replace with the Jdm badges its quite easy actually to do. Its what i would do if i had one this car shouldnt be a Scion it should be a toyota Ae86 but toyota is retarded and doesnt want any fun cars in its lineup. I think its a cool car though i would rock it if i had to spend that kind of cash for fun.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #7
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlsinva View Post
My guess is u saw a Scion Frs that had its badging replace with the Jdm badges its quite easy actually to do. Its what i would do if i had one this car shouldnt be a Scion it should be a toyota Ae86 but toyota is retarded and doesnt want any fun cars in its lineup. I think its a cool car though i would rock it if i had to spend that kind of cash for fun.
I agree. Someone simply put Toyota badges on a Scion FR-S. The Toyota badges are probably from the Japanese version of this car. I'd do the same thing.
The car is slow in a straight line (Camry V6 would beat it) but it's lightweight and has a well-balanced chassis....with RWD. I appreciate this car but my heart will always be in a V8 powered RWD car, preferably manually shifted!

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:30 AM   #8
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Ya, it's built in conjunction with Subaru. The reviews say the suspension on the Subaru version is better. Hopefully it the next year our two, they will offer a turbo version.

They're priced a little high for what you get.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:53 AM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decibel JJ View Post
I saw one of these for the first time driving around today. It looks like an interesting small car. 200Hp 4cyl, 6speed, RWD.

What do you think?
It is a cool car, I am considering getting one just to autoX. Swapping the Scion FRS badges to Toyota GT86 is very common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVX View Post
Ya, it's built in conjunction with Subaru. The reviews say the suspension on the Subaru version is better. Hopefully it the next year our two, they will offer a turbo version.

They're priced a little high for what you get.
The Subaru suspension is slightly softer (rides better) but the Scion model has better handling. The Subaru understeers from the factory and the Scion is neutral and happy to oversteer with not a lot of effort.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #10
Mayhem

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Camaro (Black)
Scion/Toyota same thing. Scion is a branch of Toyota that targets a younger North american market. Imo they woulda been better off just sticking with Toyota as Scion seems to get ragged on a lot and is just not respected in the auto enthusiast communities.. (atleast it seems that way) ..

The Ft-86 is sold by Toyota/Scion/Subaru... If it's in the states it's just a re-badged Scion or Subaru version of the car.. Which is really the same thing as the Toyota aside from a few minor differences.

You can tell if it is the Scion vs Subaru version by the front fascia unless they have replaced it. The Subaru looks more like the Mazda smiley face compared to the slightly angrier looking Scion.

Anyway, coming out of a V8 you are not going to be impressed by the power of the '86. That said, it is really fun to drive, and it looks even better in person than in photos imo.

Great looking car, at a low price with good mileage, and makes up for the lack of power in fun / handling / balance.

Some people seem incapable of getting passed their Brand-ism... Or the V8 supremecy...

And some people are well rounded automotive enthusiasts that can appreciate different kinds of cars for different reasons.

The 86 isn't a straight line power house. It's a cheap + balanced + fun car that is engineered for handling.

I'd love to have a Camaro and an 86 in the Garage...

Gave up my 2SS/RS for an SVT Raptor... but am contemplating getting back into a Camaro 2SS/RS 1le. (Alternatively considering gettin into an FR-S and using the left over cash to get me a harley fatboy lo.)

Had a blast driving the FR-S but it really isn't in the same league as a Camaro.

Camaro is faster/more powerful, sounds better.. And looks better inside and out. And puts a bigger dent in the bank.

the 86 is cheaper to buy, cheaper on gas, cheaper to insure... Arguably more fun to drive in the city because of its small size + light weight, along with increased visibility... and being able to push it harder and corner with amazing precision.

They serve different purposes, and like I said.. I'd love to have both in the garage.

I wish I loved the 86 as much as I love the Camaro... cuz it would save me a butt load of money.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #11
Mayhem

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Camaro (Black)
Gotta say tho, as much as I dig the 86.... Toyota dropped the ball not putting just a little more power into it.

Take the "you don't get this car, it's about handling" stance all you want.. but that excuse is old.

I kind of feel sorry for the '86, because I have never seen a car with such a strong following.... have so many excuses made for it's short-comings. And so many people desperately trying to save face and prove this car is a hero.

People are really defensive for this car.. But if the car was delivered the way it should have been none of that would be necessary.

I am thinking... next years model with some improvements could be an amazing car.

Give it a lil more power. A nicer interior... Fix the driver right side leg issue, and the dated dash... And the immitation carbon fiber... Give it an arm rest.. And take some notes on the STI exhaust note.... make the FRS/BRZ sound that hot...

It is a fantastic car.. I love it.. but it has a lot of potential to be far better.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Gotta say tho, as much as I dig the 86.... Toyota dropped the ball not putting just a little more power into it.

Take the "you don't get this car, it's about handling" stance all you want.. but that excuse is old.

I kind of feel sorry for the '86, because I have never seen a car with such a strong following.... have so many excuses made for it's short-comings. And so many people desperately trying to save face and prove this car is a hero.

People are really defensive for this car.. But if the car was delivered the way it should have been none of that would be necessary.

I am thinking... next years model with some improvements could be an amazing car.

Give it a lil more power. A nicer interior... Fix the driver right side leg issue, and the dated dash... And the immitation carbon fiber... Give it an arm rest.. And take some notes on the STI exhaust note.... make the FRS/BRZ sound that hot...

It is a fantastic car.. I love it.. but it has a lot of potential to be far better.
Yeah and then it would be 10,000 dollars more. It's common sense that a cheaper car will sell more. I think they want to sell a car that looks good, is cheap, and performs decently. Think Mitsubishi Eclipse. Car sold thousands, even though it's performance was lackluster.

HP would be more money, and I think they are against it being more expensive.

But I do agree with you. If you had 300 hp+ in that car, you're talking about some serious competition. It would probably be better than the Camaro in a racetrack and possibly the quarter and very close to the 370z

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post

I would agree, sort of. If the only thing you've ever owned is a Civic or a Sentra or some hand-me-down then this is a total revelation. It has a purity like the Miata and it's absolutely made the Civic Si completely worthless. So I hope it ends the trend of the Japanese manufacturers trying to hop up some FWD econobox into something it's not.

If you've got around $30-35K to spend, chances are you'll look at a Camaro SS or a 5.0, but if you've only got $20-25K, I'd take it over some dumb Civic or Sentra.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
The Subaru suspension is slightly softer (rides better) but the Scion model has better handling. The Subaru understeers from the factory and the Scion is neutral and happy to oversteer with not a lot of effort.
Strange. I heard it was the other way around. If what you said is acurate, the scion would be the way to go because it is also the cheaper of them.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote