Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
goblue255

Drives: 2010 IOM 1LT M6
Brushless car wash in metro Detroit or Ann Arbor?

So I picked up my Camaro 3 weeks ago and live in an apartment, which makes it very difficult to wash my car properly very often. This will especially be a problem in the winter when I want to get a wash with underbody rinse at least once a week to get rid of the Michigan highway salt. I know of one brushless carwash in Ann Arbor at a gas station, and tried to make my car there, but the bottom scraped the guide rail so I didn't go through it.

I've seen a lot of posts of people taking their Camaros through touchless car washes, and was wondering if anyone knows of one that the Camaro fits through in metro Detroit or A2? I live in A2 but work in Southfield, so I drive near a large number of cities in Metro Detroit every day(Livonia, Canton, Novi, Farmington Hills, Southfield). I would greatly appreciate any help at finding a car wash that will be relatively safe on my car! Thanks so much!
goblue255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
MuttGrunt

Drives: Not Enough
I'm in the Southfield area myself (Lathrup Village) and know of nothing I think is OK to take a car through. Take into account touchless places will use harsher soaps and a higher dilution of them in order to clean without coming in contact with your car. One wash and you have no more protection on your ride. :(
MuttGrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
erosinski3882

Drives: 2010 syngreen
FORD ROAD^MERRIMAN $10 for a hand car wash.
erosinski3882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
MuttGrunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by erosinski3882 View Post
FORD ROAD^MERRIMAN $10 for a hand car wash.
Hand car wash? They use grit-guard inserts? What type of wash media do they use - microfiber/lambswool? Are the mitts fresh or used on car after car? What type of car wash shampoo do they use and at what dilution?

Yea... noone is touching my ride.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
Hand car wash? They use grit-guard inserts? What type of wash media do they use - microfiber/lambswool? Are the mitts fresh or used on car after car? What type of car wash shampoo do they use and at what dilution?

LOL... drive over and ask them those questions. My bet is the person running the place will answer:

Whats a grit-guard?

Wash 'media'? Huh? We wash cars here, not media.

HA! A clean mit for each car? Well la-dee-da!! Aren't you fancy!!

Car wash? Um... well... its um... hell if I know?

Dilution... yea, we dilute it with water.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
MuttGrunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
LOL... drive over and ask them those questions. My bet is the person running the place will answer:
Whats a grit-guard?
Wash 'media'? Huh? We wash cars here, not media.
HA! A clean mit for each car? Well la-dee-da!! Aren't you fancy!!
Car wash? Um... well... its um... hell if I know?
Dilution... yea, we dilute it with water.
LMAO
I agree
Old 09-26-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Old 09-27-2010, 08:02 AM   #8
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
When you see how touchless car washes clean cars, you may not want use them much more on your nicer cars.

How can a touchless car wash system remove road grime, that if I used high pressure spray and soap will absolutely not come off? Answer - they use strong acids.

Those acids if left on the car will eat away just about anything. One of the more noticeable problems is with clear coat being eaten off wheels behind wheel weights. A little bit of the car wash water will sit behind the wheel weight and over time it will dissolve the clear coat. GM has a bulletin describing all the damage that can be caused by touchless car wash acids.

One way to tell if their acids are on the strong side. Look at the exit drive and road right in front of the car wash. If it is constantly getting pot holes, their acid dripping off cars is tearing up the asphalt. I had one near me that the road was rough as heck right out front of the wash, but they had installed a concrete exit drive. All other areas of their lot and entry drive was asphalt. They obviously know the acids dripping off the cars will tear up the pavement.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
erosinski3882

Drives: 2010 syngreen
Quote:

You did not say that you wanted your car detailed. It is only a car .
erosinski3882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #10
MuttGrunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by erosinski3882 View Post
You did not say that you wanted your car detailed.
I don't. My car is ALWAYS in a state of "detailed"

Quote:
It is only a car .
You might be chatting with the wrong crowd
If you want to describe what is likely your second largest purchase ever as "just a car" then not only are you VERY far from what I believe to be the normal owner that frequents this section of the site, but your car is likely to look very heavily aged and suffer from even higher depreciation.

Don't worry though - guys like me can help save your ride if you ever decide you want to treat yours better than an appliance.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
goblue255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
When you see how touchless car washes clean cars, you may not want use them much more on your nicer cars.

How can a touchless car wash system remove road grime, that if I used high pressure spray and soap will absolutely not come off? Answer - they use strong acids.

Those acids if left on the car will eat away just about anything. One of the more noticeable problems is with clear coat being eaten off wheels behind wheel weights. A little bit of the car wash water will sit behind the wheel weight and over time it will dissolve the clear coat. GM has a bulletin describing all the damage that can be caused by touchless car wash acids.

One way to tell if their acids are on the strong side. Look at the exit drive and road right in front of the car wash. If it is constantly getting pot holes, their acid dripping off cars is tearing up the asphalt. I had one near me that the road was rough as heck right out front of the wash, but they had installed a concrete exit drive. All other areas of their lot and entry drive was asphalt. They obviously know the acids dripping off the cars will tear up the pavement.
Thanks for the information. I don't know what to do in the winter now. I can't let the salt build up, I can't wash it because I don't have a driveway and it would freeze anyways, automatic car washes are too dangerous (brushes or strong solvents for touchless), and the quarter wash is too high pressure, and not enclosed so it might also freeze if I can't dry it quickly enough. How does a Michigander like myself manage keeping my car clean in the winter if it is a daily driver?
Old 09-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #12
MuttGrunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue255 View Post
Thanks for the information. I don't know what to do in the winter now. I can't let the salt build up, I can't wash it because I don't have a driveway and it would freeze anyways, automatic car washes are too dangerous (brushes or strong solvents for touchless), and the quarter wash is too high pressure, and not enclosed so it might also freeze if I can't dry it quickly enough. How does a Michigander like myself manage keeping my car clean in the winter if it is a daily driver?

I'll give you my advice as a fellow from the wolverine state.

First off - you'll have to live with having a dirty car for the overwhelming majority of the time. No way around that. Even on nicer / warmer days, the dried up salt will be flung all over your ride.

To clean her correctly, you'll need some "Gamma lids" for your 5 gallon buckets. Fill up your 2 five gallon buckets like for a normal wash, but put the water proof gamma lids on the buckets and head to the DIY bay on a nicer day. Spray the crap out of your car using the "rinse" water. Then do your two-bucket-method wash before rinsing again. Follow with your favorite microfiber drying towel and make sure you add on a spray sealant/wax to top up your protection, and you're all good to go
Old 09-28-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue255 View Post
Wait for a day above 32F, and head to the quarter wash place with the two buckets like just mentioned above. One with sudsy car wash soap, and the other for rinsing your mitt.

My Camaro get's parked for the winter, but I do the two bucket thing a couple times a month on my Silverado 4x4 when a warm day hits in the winter. Works great as long as it's above freezing.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
goblue255

Quote:
I'll give you my advice as a fellow from the wolverine state.

First off - you'll have to live with having a dirty car for the overwhelming majority of the time. No way around that. Even on nicer / warmer days, the dried up salt will be flung all over your ride.

To clean her correctly, you'll need some "Gamma lids" for your 5 gallon buckets. Fill up your 2 five gallon buckets like for a normal wash, but put the water proof gamma lids on the buckets and head to the DIY bay on a nicer day. Spray the crap out of your car using the "rinse" water. Then do your two-bucket-method wash before rinsing again. Follow with your favorite microfiber drying towel and make sure you add on a spray sealant/wax to top up your protection, and you're all good to go
Thanks for the advice! I think I'll just tough it out and wash my car when the temperature gets above freezing. What's the reason for the Gamma lids if its above freezing point? Can't you just use the water from the quarter wash when you spray down your car?

Tags
ann arbor, automatic car wash, detroit, michigan