Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #43
J666

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMorgan View Post
ZL1 is a great daily driver if you enjoy a performance car with a decent ride. If someone wants an economy car, then they need to buy an econo box and be bored to death.

As for the argument that it will lose value if you drive it - sorry folks. This car will lose value just as fast whether you drive it or not. It is not going to be a collector car. Too many people are buying them and sticking them in the garage, so there will always be one with lower miles and they are not limited production - so IMO, drive it and enjoy it if you have it.
+1

You only live once!
J666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #44
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
Tires, fuel economy, wear and tear, parking lot damage, engine carbon up, parking,ease of entry/exit from vehicle, passenger comfort, theft, vandalism, dirt, mainly, but It is not a car suited for daily driver status because of its intended use.

Its a waste of a performance vehicle. Its not really definable, but it goes without saying. Its kind of like using a grand national or a ZR1 as a daily driver. You can do it but why would you.

It is a purpose built car not a prius or a malibu. This car is made to rock, not pick up lumber and drive on gravel roads.
How is it a waste if you are driving daily, it would be a waste if u just let it sit in the garage.

You do it so you can drive it to work, and on the way back, you stop by the track to tear it up a few laps, then drive home for dinner
Old 07-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #45
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
Tires, fuel economy, wear and tear, parking lot damage, engine carbon up, parking,ease of entry/exit from vehicle, passenger comfort, theft, vandalism, dirt, mainly, but It is not a car suited for daily driver status because of its intended use.
Every car I've bought new had to convince me ahead of time that it would remain fun to drive. And as far as I'm concerned, that trumps the costs or risks associated with all of the items in your list. A car built to enjoy does me less good sitting in the driveway than it would with me sitting in it in a traffic jam.

Quote:
Its a waste of a performance vehicle. Its not really definable, but it goes without saying. Its kind of like using a grand national or a ZR1 as a daily driver. You can do it but why would you.

It is a purpose built car not a prius or a malibu. This car is made to rock, not pick up lumber and drive on gravel roads.
All it takes is a little more caution about a few things. And you can "play" a bit without having to use anywhere near 100% of its capabilities. There are times when just a little fun like that becomes one of the bright spots in one's day. What's not to like?

It's not such a narrowly targeted car that it's unsuitable for most daily-driving tasks. Hauling things like lumber I'll give you, though for that neither a Malibu nor a Prius is much better. Gravel roads, well if you've got a lot of them around where you live and can't avoid them on a daily driving basis, they'll still be there when you're out strictly on a pleasure ride.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #46
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarozl11 View Post
thanks so how is it in bad streets? because in California all the streets are bad. is it hard to shift? i heard it is in the Shelby gt500. does it get shacky in the inside when driving?
why even bring the Shelby into this conversation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePower-Freak View Post
Good DD? Yes.
Would I use it as a DD? NO.

But then again I'm a poor bastard who has respect for things that cost some hard earned money LOL!
How are you disrespecting the car by driving it? To me, a car like this was made to be driven, not parked in a garage to only come out on weekends or nice days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
In the end, its a four seat Chevy, not an Enzo. It has mag ride, power/heated seats, On-Star, rear view camera, parking assist. You dont buy a 4 seat chevy to sit in the garage to depreciate in value, IMO. I will drive the piss out of it, and when I am done, sell it and buy the next one.
This. If you're looking at it as an investment, there are hundreds of better options available for your money. Everything I have read/heard about the zl1 says it's perfect for a daily driver. The cost really should not play into the matter, as I see hundreds of $55K Mercedes', Audi's and BMW's serving as daily drivers every week without a second thought.
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #47
8AD•SS

Drives: 45th anniversary SS Vert
Drive the 45th SS vert on errands and around town, take the ZL1 to places that I enjoy the drive, the gym and work when the weathers nice. Ideally they both get driven everyday, weather willing... At least that is the plan if my ZL1 ever goes from 4B00 to 4200 *twitch*
CRT ZL1 #271 Ordered 5/22, delivered 7/27 (R XIII)
R XIII's Build:http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=1#post5427709
8AD•SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:33 PM   #48
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
It's an excellent daily driver. I take my daughter to daycare in it, stop to buy groceries and run 1.15g in corners (empty). you can adjust the suspension, the exhaust sound, etc. You can also track it under warranty. It's the BEST sports car you can get for the money.

If one can afford it, I believe they shouldn't care about gas and tires(unless they're a cheap ass in which case they shouldn't buy one to begin with - better stick the money under the mattress). Does anyone here think they live twice?
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #49
Zee-Ell-One
YOOZ GOTA B FREKN KIDN ME

Drives: 2013 6mt ZL1#826
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
daily driver here at 5500 miles. tires could be a problem as im about 50% through my stock set but permagrin helps you forget about that real quick. if you dont have window tint then id say dont daily drive it cuz at every traffic light people will be waving at you to roll down the window and ask questions or give praise. in race mode its a pretty rough ride but when my back starts to get sore i throw on the heated seat and put it in touring mode. all cars are crap after you drive a ZL-1
I believe the holy heck out of that!! Aymen!!
Zee-Ell-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:16 AM   #50
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Ya...I still say no to daily driver. I do however probably have more kms (miles) on my pleasure use only ZL1 than a lot of daily drivers. I just don't
1) drive in the rain
2) drive in the cold
3) take it on dusty or gravel roads
4) leave it anywhere unattended such as parking lots etc.
5) leave it outside unless I'm driving it or washing it.

I've never used my windshield wipers and never will. Some of you are daily driving in summer conditions all year. I don't have that option where I live. It rains and it gets cold. My driving window is June to November. Other than that she sits clean, warm and dry in my garage. When I do drive it, I use it for all its worth.
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #51
kidreno_21

Drives: Zr2 Blazer, 2013 ZL1 Black on black
I have never understood why a vehicle would be purchased and kept for many years and rarely driven. I have never had a brand new car, and this 2013 ZL1 is my gift to myself. A gift I have worked for and earned. I just wish I could be there for delivery, but I will still be here in the damn desert. Knowing these shitty conditions, I want to reward myself by driving my pride and joy every day. If it gets a rock chip, door ding, or a scratch, sure I'll get upset, but the joy I will have simply driving this marval of an automobile will more than make up for it. Besides, is that not why we have insurance? I am not buying this car to maintain a resell value.

I live in WA, so it will rain a lot. With that, I will buy some all season tires and drive my ZL1 as often as possible, minus snow and ice storms. Those will be the days I drive my Zr2 Blazer, because it makes sense to drive a vehicle built to handle adverse weather conditions.
kidreno_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:26 AM   #52
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
Mine is a DD for now. As said in a post, it makes driving to work a blast.
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:49 AM   #53
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidreno_21 View Post
I have never understood why a vehicle would be purchased and kept for many years and rarely driven. I have never had a brand new car, and this 2013 ZL1 is my gift to myself. A gift I have worked for and earned. I just wish I could be there for delivery, but I will still be here in the damn desert. Knowing these shitty conditions, I want to reward myself by driving my pride and joy every day. If it gets a rock chip, door ding, or a scratch, sure I'll get upset, but the joy I will have simply driving this marval of an automobile will more than make up for it. Besides, is that not why we have insurance? I am not buying this car to maintain a resell value.

I live in WA, so it will rain a lot. With that, I will buy some all season tires and drive my ZL1 as often as possible, minus snow and ice storms. Those will be the days I drive my Zr2 Blazer, because it makes sense to drive a vehicle built to handle adverse weather conditions.
Two reasons, as I see it.

1) The buyer watches cars rolling across the stage at various auto auctions and thinks that, perhaps, 40-years down the road, it might be their car being sold and that big money going into their bank account.

2) The buyer does not want to drive it because they know they bought it just to be able to say they have the latest and greatest for a time and know they will be selling it when the next big thing comes along and they want the maximum resale value.

Last edited by tooslow; 07-16-2012 at 11:07 AM.
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #54
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
A few are fortunate enough to be able to look at a $60k car as an occasional-use toy.

The rest of us drive the neat car most of the time and let the winter beater/available spare car see the smaller amount of use.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #55
stardok

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1657
I take my truck to work to avoid door dings etc to my Z. When I get home I take the Z for a spin through the hills or over to the coast (101/PCH). I think it is a great DD and I get lots of thumbs up where ever we go. If you are going to do a lot of stop and go driving consider the auto trans
stardok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #56
2012 ZL1#1658

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1658
Depends on how many miles you drive. The car loves gas.
3M Paint Protection

2011 1SS/RS (BLACK on BLACK) <SOLD>
2012 ZL1#1658 is offline   Reply With Quote